BAD DAY! Got rear ended and think they might write my car off, advice please?

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
You must declare the write-off if you ever sell the car and it may reduce its value slightly.

Slightly?

They are worth around 30% less, don't let anyone con you into thinking otherwise.

Plenty over-priced CAT Cs and Ds out there though

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
I agree. If the worst cenario is only the cracked bumper I would buy the car back.
Third party pays 2000£ you pay for the car 300£ and end up with 1700£ which can easy match a friendly budget from a trusted repair shop.
Like mentioned above you could get used bumper by yourself and have it painted. I bought a Cupra R one from UK for 50€. Fitting its pretty easy as we all know. A dealer repair would be a RIP.

Interesting, where did you get a replacement bumper from for 50€?
Do you have a link? Cheers

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Try and buy a new bumper (no paint) to save you some money on the paint job. Takes a day longer if they have to strip the paint down first, meaning more money! Unless your lucky and find a bumper the same colour!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, found a black one on ebay but might hold out for my color or try and find a new non painted one. Did see some FR bumpers that look just like my cupra rear bumper that could be an option?

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Nasty business. My sis-in-law had her car declared a write off but she took the money and had it repaired cheaply. This was a few years ago so rules may be a lot stricter. I can't see why you can't have an independent assessment and let you decide. The insurance may only meet a certain cost but worth pleading with them that you want a second opinion before they snub you. This link might be of some use?

http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/write-offs-and-how-to-challenge-them/

Good luck mate, really feel for you.

Thanks for the link, very helpful. Cheers

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Last I heard an economic write-off (cat C or D) as opposed to a structural write-off (cat A or B) there should be no problem for you to get the car repaired and back on the road. You must declare the write-off if you ever sell the car and it may reduce its value slightly. My last car before the Leon was a cat D from about 7 years before I bought it, it had an odd wing mirror and the nearside doors had both come from a scrap yard - no problems insuring it and I did declare it of course. Going back 20 years I had the same thing as you, someone went into the back of my car and it was an economic write-off, again no problems keeping it and getting the work done. As long as the car's been checked properly for any hidden damage of course.

Having had an accident will bump up your premiums even if it wasn't your fault (they sting you for this even if the car was parked) but you can't avoid that no matter what you do.

Was advised by the third party insurance to call my insurance and not make claim but for them to log it as Information only and that the third parties insurance is sorting out hire car/repair.

Also received email from my insurance confirming that and that it will not effect my no claim bonus.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
I hope your claiming for the headaches and whiplash you have got. Also the nightmares blah blah blah.

That will fill your pockets with cash.

On a serious note. If you have no plans to sell car then it doesnt matter if it gets deemed a cat D.

If you have a good en keep it.

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
I hope your claiming for the headaches and whiplash you have got. Also the nightmares blah blah blah.

On a serious note. If you have no plans to sell car then it doesnt matter if it gets deemed a cat D.

If you have a good en keep it.

Exactly!

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex

That's exactly what will push everyone else's insurance quotes up, because people think that you have to claim for whiplash just because you got into a slight bump.......

I was driven into twice in the last year, I probably could have claimed for both of them, but I'm not a ****.

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Can anyone confirm that a FR rear bumper is the same as the LC rear bumper? Failing that will any rear bumper be it LC, LCR, FR bumper all fit 2003 LC?

Cheers

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2010
Leicester
if it is any help i got my lcr rear bumper wrecked i couple of years ago and claimed through insurance, jake at panelcare (member on this forum) replaced it for less than a grand (that included some smoothing and painting) so if you can get similar i would have thought it wouldnt be a write off? was a bit of a treck for me but a whole day faffing was worth it to sort the car out

andycupra

status subject to change
LCR rear will bolt on ok but note:
1 the exhaust opening may be slightly different.
and as above you will probably need some wheel arch liner extensions, (ie where the wheel arch liner connects to the bumper may be a different profile.

FR should be the same.

Marthamm

Jun 20, 2009
Baldock,north herts
last year I had someone hit my FF in the front resulting in a few cracks and dents to the front bumper, The garage I took it too for repair did fantastic job and repaired my bumper at fraction of the cost of a replacement, might be worth getting yours looked at before you buy a replacement bumper.

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
If i had an option to buy the car back and wanted it repaired with 2nd hand parts, what would i have to do if i bought it back as CAT D to get it back on the road? Does it need a new MOT after repairs?

I have read CAT C needs to be inspected (VIC check £50).

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise