DC's 8v mk2 Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport *Back on the road!*

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Yes I still have both - the yellow one 11 years now!! though both may be sold this year.

Really enjoy driving it at the moment so that would be a hard decision - having the TT I need second car I don't care about or feel the need to restore.

The mk2 section of this forum now very different to a few years ago.

Copper Cupra

Dec 16, 2002
Exeter
Yes I still have both - the yellow one 11 years now!! though both may be sold this year.

Really enjoy driving it at the moment so that would be a hard decision - having the TT I need second car I don't care about or feel the need to restore.

The mk2 section of this forum now very different to a few years ago.

Totally agree!!.. shame.

Keep the yellow one, it must be a very mint car?!... is it a 16v or 8v? My Copper MK2 I've owned for 13yrs this May... bought a very clean rare X-reg Lazuli Blue GTi last year!... have a collection now!! Would love more... however space is the issue! lol.

:D

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Still going strong as my daily driver!

Just passed its MOT yesterday with the only advisories being slight play in the rear wheel bearings - which I failed to re-adjust after replacing.

As a second car I have been less precious/obsessed about cleaning and use which whilst to the slight detriment of the car has meant I have REALLY enjoyed driving it - free of worry!

My other car is a Mk1 TT Quattro Sport which feels uber safe and secure - but I love the edgy instability of the Ibiza - keeps you engaged!

I will need to sort a couple of paint issues soon to keep up appearances.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
After daily use the interior required a bit of TLC so a couple of months ago I took out the seats and cleaned the fabrics and leather and gave the carpets a gentle wet vac.

The original gear/handbrake gaiters were showing wear so these were replaced with genuine leather items with matching red stitching to the steering wheel.

Interiors not bad for 142,000 miles!!

Probably going to regret saying this but I am still on the original clutch - certainly not replaced in the 102,000 miles and 11 years of my ownership!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
The gear change rod bushes/linkages were starting to come apart causing horrendous gear lever travel so I bought a kit and replaced them all.

Its made a lot of difference!

Old scrap parts for the tip:

Newly rebuilt selector ball unit. I found it impossible to replace the large bush inside the housing without drilling out and the rivets and separating the casing.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Recently had to replace a cracked coolant temp sensor housing and replace a leaking rocker cover gasket.

Whilst I was at it I took the opportunity to refresh the paint of the rocker cover. Took the old paint off using Nitromors and then gave it several coats of silver VHT caliper paint.

Last edited:

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
Nice work again!
Can you provide me with a link/prices to the gear lever bush kit please and also the gator as mine is in the same predicament

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Nice work again!
Can you provide me with a link/prices to the gear lever bush kit please and also the gator as mine is in the same predicament

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...hash=item33932a1286:m:mFWotpJm4PAtvbWBqM57h0g

I received a Topran kit - Though I did use some parts of another kit I had bought years ago.

If you do get this consider buying the heat shield that covers the selector ball - otherwise it will melt and fall off - I think its listed for the mk3 Golf Gti

Last edited:

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
The gear change rod bushes/linkages were starting to come apart causing horrendous gear lever travel so I bought a kit and replaced them all.

Its made a lot of difference!

I did the same job on my son's 8v GTi a while back, it really does make a massive difference doesn't it! One of those jobs that made me wonder why I had not done it sooner.

kd1990

Oct 24, 2016
wow and i thought my mk2 was clean... is the car still going? i wish i knew about the 20vt exhaust fitment as i just stuck a straight through pipe on mine and its far too loud!! i wish my interior was as clean as yours and i really like the half leathers. not many of these cars left around now!

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
wow and i thought my mk2 was clean... is the car still going? i wish i knew about the 20vt exhaust fitment as i just stuck a straight through pipe on mine and its far too loud!! i wish my interior was as clean as yours and i really like the half leathers. not many of these cars left around now!

i had a little trouble getting mine to mate to the oem system so got a local exhaust company to weld a joiner pipe

get a little knocking now and again even though i have replaced the old worn bushes with new poly ones

put some pics up of your car mate

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
294F2549-3D2D-44FD-95A2-48002BBB6685.jpeg

So this is now my Ibiza!

I went to pick it up this morning and saw a very familiar name on the forum spec sheet included in the extensive history!

now I’ll go over it with a fine toothcombe tomorrow to see what is still on the car!
Easily the best Mk2 in the UK that I know of.
I’m never selling it

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
Very nice. I saw this on eBay. I imagine you got this cheaper than you might have done simply because the seller did such a rubbish job of the listing.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise