Fuel treatments

stevenc152

Nov 15, 2016
Question for you guys, Have you ever added fuel treatments to your car?
I picked up a 3 year old car with 17k on the clock, Car is services on record every 1 year however I will rack up 25k in a year so I want to know its kept clean and running well.
I dont have any issues with this currently, I was reading that its cheaper and more effective to run a clean such as this than pay 5 quid a time for the + extra's with the same stuff in it every time.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I run Archoil dmax in my 184fr and it makes it quieter and smoother

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mrratty

Aug 10, 2016
Decent branded fuel like shell BP etc and the occasional run through with a fuel injection cleaner or millers diesel additive depending on which vehicle I'm in

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I run Millers in my 184, same results as Dt-spd, quieter and smoother. I might give Archoil dmax a try out of interest but I expect they are all pretty similar.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

stevenc152

Nov 15, 2016
Good to know think ill order some later today, I put in Asda's diesel due to nearly running on fumes and nothing around, dropped 70+ to 60mpg so want to flush this **** out.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
I run Millers in my 184, same results as Dt-spd, quieter and smoother. I might give Archoil dmax a try out of interest but I expect they are all pretty similar.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

I have also run the Millers and find the Archoil Dmax slightly better in terms of noise than the millers. I notice less noise when under load and much reduced at >3500rpm full load.

Arhoil also seem to have done some testing and published their results on their website whereas Millers don't appear to publish the same kind of information.

I recommend giving it a try, can be bought in 100ml bottles so no need to buy loads for a trial.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire
The Single Best one by quite a margin ive ever used apart from MILLARS Diesel additive what the heck its currently named.. is OXICAT

Its available in various guises
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROTEC-OX...372562?hash=item1eb8f96b52:g:UWYAAOSwBahVAbBW

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-TEC-O...636959?hash=item5690916c1f:g:bzsAAOSwj85YLvR2

i added this into my mk1 Leon FR TDi at around 90,000 miles
what a difference, had easily another 50-70miles from its tank
740miles to be exact. Yes it did do that on one tank ni on 59litres
And just cleaned it all out. they did rec only to use that type of treatment once a year mind.

womble68

Aug 8, 2009
Bebington, Wirral
To be honest the person asking the question didn't suggest increasing mpg or power they just want to clean the engine which redex and the stuff being mentioned on here should do.
As mentioned in the comments of that article it's probably best to only use the treatment when needed to clean the engine then once cleaned leave it alone.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mrratty

Aug 10, 2016
I've found a 10% gain in economy simply by using the higher octane/cetane fuels

Keyzer Soze

Sep 18, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
The main concern I have with engine cleaning additives is whether they dissolve any gunk/sludge deposits for combustion or just move them somewhere else, where they cause blockage and/or damage. Sometimes it's just best to leave it alone.

stevenc152

Nov 15, 2016
I can say, In terms of performance, a new filter and 2 shots worked wonders, I filled half a tank up with normal and 15L of nitro, I put 2 shots in (1 with the normal, let it mix, 1 more shot in before and filled it up).

This along with a new air filter, The car is soo much more responsive, Im amazed in terms of performance what it has done for such a relatively new car. In terms of MPG its went down, this isnt due to the fuel just me hammering it since it feels like i have my 160bhp 1l Fez back!

Ill keep an eye on how it goes tomorrow for work and let you guys know,

If anyone else is considering this,

WEEKEND30 and eurocarparts, go order some if you havent put an induction kit on your car, its easy to do and will put a smile back on your face.

Offer ends shorlty.

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
I run mine on branded diesel and top up with snake oil................... :p

If your car is designed to run on 91 ron pretrol, putting in 97 ron petrol will make no difference.

Octane and cetane rating are a measure of how good the fuel is at no pre-igniting when it is heated up by the forces of compression. Your petrol car has knock sensor which checks for knock up to 40 times per second and advances the spark timing until knock is detected then backs it of a fraction to avoid knock. You don't get any more power our of the power stroke and the same amount of fuel is injected in. The only way that putting increased octane or cetane petrol in your car will give you more performance is if you have a higher compression engine = more heat = more likely to pre-ignite with low ron petrol. With a higher compression engine compared with a standard one, for any given amount of fuel injected you will get a better power stroke because you have compressed more air mix in with the fuel and you get more of a bang.

Remember guys.....suck -squeeze-bang-blow...........ye kanae change the laws of physics

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I treat my fuel regularly. I put it in the tank and use it. No complaints so far... ;)

stevenc152

Nov 15, 2016
I run mine on branded diesel and top up with snake oil................... :p

If your car is designed to run on 91 ron pretrol, putting in 97 ron petrol will make no difference.

Octane and cetane rating are a measure of how good the fuel is at no pre-igniting when it is heated up by the forces of compression. Your petrol car has knock sensor which checks for knock up to 40 times per second and advances the spark timing until knock is detected then backs it of a fraction to avoid knock. You don't get any more power our of the power stroke and the same amount of fuel is injected in. The only way that putting increased octane or cetane petrol in your car will give you more performance is if you have a higher compression engine = more heat = more likely to pre-ignite with low ron petrol. With a higher compression engine compared with a standard one, for any given amount of fuel injected you will get a better power stroke because you have compressed more air mix in with the fuel and you get more of a bang.

Remember guys.....suck -squeeze-bang-blow...........ye kanae change the laws of physics

:D its a diesel

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.