Uneven coilpacks

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
Hi everyone,

I've returned to the wonderful world of VAG with the purchase of an 03 LCR (AMK) after spending a year or so with a Subaru Legacy GTB and then being car less for a horribly long year!

It popped up on ebay and was well priced so I decided to take the plunge. It's a good example from the outset (aside from a choice engine bay colour scheme..), with 111k miles but still feels like it's nearer to new.

The bloke I brought it from didn't have much in the way of a spec list, and it's had a few bits done which I'm trying to figure out now. I noticed that two of the coil packs are taller than the others which I thought was a bit curious. They're both pushed in, and the engine is running smoothly (aside from some turbo chatter, new DV en route..). See the pic for what I mean. Does anyone know why this might be?

I've had a Mk4 Ibiza FR and Cupra in the past, neither of which had 'popped out' coil packs. Maybe two of them are a newer style? Any info would be great.

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Two have been replaced with non OEM spec ones from a motor factors, they make them to generally fit most cars, which is why they are slightly higher.

I had the same thing with my wife's Polo when it came to changing one over, it bugged me so I went and bought another 3 so they match.... even though the engine cover goes over the top of them!

RichyH

Dec 20, 2015
Lincoln, UK
What was the previous owner thinking with that colour scheme!! Was he/she thinking i suppose is a better question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
It's harlequin themed right? ;)

Thanks for the peace of mind everyone. As it's not too urgent I'll get the 2.0tsi upgraded set when I can and stick them in

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members