Key fob advice please

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
HI guys,

MY key fob has partly stopped working,

I can lock the car and it all works fine but the open button has stopped working so I now have to open the car with the key which is a pain as if I don't put the key in quick the alarm goes off.

if I need a new fob whats the best way of going about this please? and can the reprograming be don't myself or is it a main dealer job?

be nice if I could fix it but no ideal where to start really as not had this happen before.

any advice would be great please?

seat leon mk1 1.9L TDi 6 speed 2004

Last edited:

Homer Simpson

May 12, 2014
Btw your car is a 1.9tdi as there was no MK1 2.0tdi :)

Your easy option is a like for like replacement.

For example, if you have a factory Seat key then buy another, open them up and swap over the blade and transponder chip. This way no reprogramming or extra cost. Same method if you have a flip key, replace with another flip key and swap blade and chip.

If you want to go from a non-flip to a flip key, then you will need to get the blade cut.

I have a 2 button flip key if required

Last edited:

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
so you think its just the button in the fob then so just a swop over? it does click when I press it but nothing happens and how much do you want for your new key fob? is it new? mines not a flip and is just a 2 button one

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The standard non flip key remote that came with these cars are mostly part their best now and the easiest thing to do is just buy a cheap flip type replacement and transfer the transponder as mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
It will need syncing with the car but no software is required if you have two keys to hand whilst carrying out the procedure.

Last edited:

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
No I only have the 1 key does that mean I would have to get it reprogramed then if I change to flip key

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
No, although out of personal experience I've found the different one keyed procedure very hit and miss.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
It varies dramatically but most people want at least £120 for a key fob supplied and coded.

If you want to go down that route then I'd highly recommend Craig Nettleton over on a lot of the VW, Audi and Seat groups on Facebook.
He travels all over the country doing this and charges £80

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
god no I cant afford that will find a blank somewhere lol

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I bought a new 2 button VW mk4 Golf key with a blank key on eBay for about £12 or so.
Pulled it apart and transferred the transponder chip from my old original broken key then got the blank blade cut for about £7.
All I had to do then was sync the remote with the car then.

Last edited:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Did you try changing the battery first? When mine went flat it had enough charge to lock but not to open the car.

monoman

Sep 17, 2016
I Bought a new flip key had cut and programmed plus give me the SKC code for £65 thought it was a bargain so 3 keys now.

Calumcjm

Jul 26, 2015
Glasgow
How would you go about getting it reprogrammed? I have the same problem, it's a total pain. Especially in winter when the key hole is frozen shut!

machman

Feb 4, 2014
kent
i had the same issue last week ,would lock but not open,also having searched the site i also realised my door puddle light and lights on alarm was not working,micro switch was the replies common problem!
i did the easiest thing first and changed the battery in the remote....hey presto ,everything works now, :D
so i would try the battery in the remote first

sealover1

Oct 29, 2012
yea turned out to be a dirty key fob and put new batt in and works fine now, alarm goes off sometimes on its own though which is a pain

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.