2000 Seat Leon 1.820VT4 swap to AUQ engine

DeadEye

Aug 5, 2015
Hi,

I own a Seat Leon 1.8 20 VT Cupra from 2004

I've just grabbed a bargain, a Seat Leon 1.8 20VT 4 from 2001 with Haldex Controller Competition Gen1 for 2k [B)]

What I want now is to use my AUQ 2004 engine in my Cupra 4 ( benefit of VVT etc.... )

So first, is it possible a direct swap ?
If yes, what should I take from my 2k4 car ?

Are the gearboxes switchable ? ( I have a LSD in my 2K4 fzq gearbox so If I could keep it... :whistle: )

Sorry but all the thread I read are about the conversion to AUM/AUQ/BAM engine for FWD cars, not to use late FWD parts in an old quattro car.

Thanks

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
It should be a direct swap I would have thought. Same with the gearbox. Don't know about the immobiliser situation though?

Engine wise I'm guessing you want to take the minimum from the donor car. No need for any of the ancillaries because it should be plug and play.

DeadEye

Aug 5, 2015
VVT does nothing on the 1.8T except for reducing the emissions mate

First thanks for your reply.

Living in France, the emissions test is really really strict so even if it was just that I'll take it.

But I'm quite sure for someone really good to tune ME 7.5, there are more benefits like torque, fuel economy to gain even with the 1.8T

I think I'm going to swap everything ( ecu, speedo, engine, wiring harness )
I want to keep VVT and wideband functions and don't want to modify a lot the electircal scheme/wiring harness

Last edited:

DeadEye

Aug 5, 2015
It should be a direct swap I would have thought. Same with the gearbox. Don't know about the immobiliser situation though?

Engine wise I'm guessing you want to take the minimum from the donor car. No need for any of the ancillaries because it should be plug and play.

Thanks for your reply.

About the IMMO, the 2k 4motion should be IMMO 1 or 2
My 2k4 IMMO3

But I don't care as I have both pin code, vcds, exact mileage and a perfect tools that gave me the opportunity to retrieve any informations I need, change mileage etc....
I've already watched the Rosstech youtube videos showing how to transfer
Both ecu are already backed up too

I prefer to take everything from my 2k4
More electrical options ( heating seats, mirror, climatronic, speed reg etc.... ) so I have to get back these wirings if these are not pre-installed in the old car

I'll have to read a lot in the DIY section as I'm sure a lot of guys did these jobs

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
No worries buddy, i hope it all goes well for you. It should be straight forward enough, if a bit of a mission.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
not true.

Fair enough, i'm more than happy to be wrong, but everything i've read over the years has said that the vvt is simply there to provide move valve overlap during warm-up. I didn't even think it was VVT as such, more a case of massive overlap or nothing, rather than being properly variable? When is it used to improve performance?

I thought the more desirable head for tuning was the earlier non VVT head with bigger ports?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.