Red coilpack

arb79

Old but never too old
Oct 18, 2010
Northamptonshire
Popped a coil last week so excuse to buy some new as they were still original on there...
Decided to go for the Red 2.0l coils and heard/seen they are longer so also ordered the adapters.

Turned up nice and quick but when I offered it up to the pooped one I pulled out, they were the same length!

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?
Thanks

turbo_powered

Sep 21, 2016
So my limited knowledge is such that the adapters are needed due to different size and also to enable you to bolt them down. I've not done it myself but keen to do it'll be good to get some more info from someone who's done it

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

arb79

Old but never too old
Oct 18, 2010
Northamptonshire
No worries mate...yeah I know why you need adapters but the new red coils I've ordered are same length as ones I have in at the mo! Thus making adapters redundant.

I was under the impression all the red ones were longer.

So question is do I put the red ones in and send back adapters, or send back red coils and reorder the correct (longer) ones!

turbo_powered

Sep 21, 2016
Yeah it's an odd one isn't it. Like you I thought they were longer.

I found a site (can't post due to being a newbie!) (www)eeuroparts(com)/blog/ 4822/how-to-upgrade-18t-ignition-coils-to-r8-red-tops/

Says they are not the same

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Just send the adaptors back, all the coils are electrically identical anyway, just the plastic body thats different.

Last edited:

Bunter6

Dec 29, 2010
Coatbridge
arent the adapters only needed if you have an older non dbw throttle car like an agu? I though later ones like AUQ/AUM etc had slightly different cam covers and didnt need the plates.

Spirit Furtive

Nov 20, 2010
Oxfordshire
Adapters are needed for all of the 1.8 range, I have a BAM (last of the line) and I needed them.

OP are you sure you purchased 2.0 coils? The 1.8 coils were available in red.

diponio24

Aug 29, 2016
Don't ecs tuning do a red coil pack for the 1.8t mine a red and don't have adapters think I got mine from them

Sent from my RAINBOW using Tapatalk

arb79

Old but never too old
Oct 18, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the response, guys.

Yes it was 1.8l coils I ordered. Is it only the 2.0l red coils that are longer, therefore needing the adapters?

turbo_powered

Sep 21, 2016
So the next question is, are those red ones any better than the standard black ones??

turbo_powered

Sep 21, 2016
Probably a good time to address the other obvious question, anyone got a good place to buy the 2l version? I know it's been answered before but I haven't seen a recent answer.

MOROalTT

Mar 19, 2011
USA
red is fsi 2.0 coils and the adaptors close the opening so nothing falls into hole

it helps the engine run smoother....... have had it for years

integrated engineering has had them for years really like it

we sell everything

Hakanpower

Ibiza 6k2 sleeper
Just buy the Audi R8 red coils, ibe done the same for mine 1.8 20vt in combination with OEM VW adapters wich you can get at the VW dealer for 1.86 a piece here in the netherlands. Dont get fooled by high priced adapter sets that cost 50/150 euros. VW got them original from a Toureq.

Oem adapterplates 077 905 390 (1.86 ps)
R8 Red coils - 06E905115E

tanto

Oct 16, 2016
I sprayed the top of my coils red looks good and only £6.99 for a tin of flash red paint

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.