Central locking and Electric windows fault after changing battery

jack1781

Dec 7, 2016
hello,

i have a 2000 Seat Leon 1.9TDI. i had my car battery changed and since then have had a fault with my central locking, electric windows and wing mirror control. it started immediately after the battery was changed. Everything else inside, including the interior lights, works as normal. i'll try and include as much info as possible.

-when i press the key fob it only locks and unlocks the boot, none of the doors respond. i have tried pressing it two times in succession, however still only the boot works. when pressing the lock button it also sets the alarm as normal.

-when i unlock the doors manually with the key it only opens the drivers door, and the button on the inside of the car to unlock the doors only works on the drivers door.

-the controls for the electric windows and wing mirrors don't work. however if i put the key in the door from the outside and hold it in the unlock position it will make the window go down, if i hold it in the lock position the window will go back up, as it should do.

- the battery drains when the car is turned off, which again is a new problem which started at the same time as everything else. The only way for it not to drain is if i disconnect the negative when its not being driven.

i have checked and changed the fuses that control the central locking, however no luck. i have also tried lots of the re-programming tricks for the key fob which have been posted on other threads.

i know it cant be a fuse problem as the interior lights still work which are connected to the same fuse as the central locking. i doubt it is a CCM or central locking pump problem as the boot still works and it isn't something that suddenly started, it happened when the battery was changed. also the same mechanic connected to his computer and got a diagnosis for there being no power going to the CCM, so we changed it with a new one and it still didn't work.

i have read somewhere about people having similar issues and it being a security issue recorded , which stops power going to the central locking and windows, stopping from working. They reset the unit and it went but there was no information on how or what they did.

if anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any ideas what the issue might be, please let me know. any help would be appreciated.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
hello,

i have a 2000 Seat Leon 1.9TDI. i had my car battery changed and since then have had a fault with my central locking, electric windows and wing mirror control. it started immediately after the battery was changed. Everything else inside, including the interior lights, works as normal. i'll try and include as much info as possible.

-when i press the key fob it only locks and unlocks the boot, none of the doors respond. i have tried pressing it two times in succession, however still only the boot works. when pressing the lock button it also sets the alarm as normal.

-when i unlock the doors manually with the key it only opens the drivers door, and the button on the inside of the car to unlock the doors only works on the drivers door.

-the controls for the electric windows and wing mirrors don't work. however if i put the key in the door from the outside and hold it in the unlock position it will make the window go down, if i hold it in the lock position the window will go back up, as it should do.

- the battery drains when the car is turned off, which again is a new problem which started at the same time as everything else. The only way for it not to drain is if i disconnect the negative when its not being driven.

i have checked and changed the fuses that control the central locking, however no luck. i have also tried lots of the re-programming tricks for the key fob which have been posted on other threads.

i know it cant be a fuse problem as the interior lights still work which are connected to the same fuse as the central locking. i doubt it is a CCM or central locking pump problem as the boot still works and it isn't something that suddenly started, it happened when the battery was changed. also the same mechanic connected to his computer and got a diagnosis for there being no power going to the CCM, so we changed it with a new one and it still didn't work.

i have read somewhere about people having similar issues and it being a security issue recorded , which stops power going to the central locking and windows, stopping from working. They reset the unit and it went but there was no information on how or what they did.

if anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any ideas what the issue might be, please let me know. any help would be appreciated.
Try this procedure:

1 - put driver window down.
2 - insert key in door lock
3 - twist to unlock and hold in position.
4 - with other paw unlock the car using the door panel button.
5 - release and remove key from door.
6 - test remote.

**edit - sorry didn't see you had already tried different methods.
Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Try this procedure:

1 - put driver window down.
2 - insert key in door lock
3 - twist to unlock and hold in position.
4 - with other paw unlock the car using the door panel button.
5 - release and remove key from door.
6 - test remote.

**edit - sorry didn't see you had already tried different methods.
Tried all these?

http://uk-mkivs.net/index.php?/topi...dows-failure-and-lost-all-interior-lights-too

jack1781

Dec 7, 2016
hi,

thanks for the advice. Tried the procedure you suggested but it didn't work.

I've already been through the threads you have linked too. the big difference is my interior lights aren't faulty, so the issue is different from theirs. i have already chnaged fuse 14 aswell.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
hi,

thanks for the advice. Tried the procedure you suggested but it didn't work.

I've already been through the threads you have linked too. the big difference is my interior lights aren't faulty, so the issue is different from theirs. i have already chnaged fuse 14 aswell.
Did fuse 14 blow for you to change it or did you replace it just to rule it out?

I remember I had something similar on my 19TDI FR - can't remember what the issue was. I will keep thinking.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
it happened when the battery was changed. also the same mechanic connected to his computer and got a diagnosis for there being no power going to the CCM, so we changed it with a new one and it still didn't work.

Hi mate.

I've not heard of this exact fault, but i would suspect the CCM to be the cause in some way or other, as it controls all those things.

First of all there are several fuses that affect the CCM, so you need to check fuses 5,6,14 and 38!

You said in your post that you had a code for no power to the CCM, did the mech check that you actually have voltage going to it before he tried a new module?

The only real way to check, is to try to connect to the CCM module with VCDS/VAGCOM. That should confirm if you have power to it or not, and if you do, then maybe what is wrong with it. I'm not 100% sure, but a lot of modules need coding to the car before they will work, so VCDS should show if the coding is right on the replacement module as well.

Last edited:

jack1781

Dec 7, 2016
hi,

thanks for the advice. so i changed the four fuses as described with new ones, still no luck.

there is part of me that thinks its the CMM, but seeing as the boot is still working on the central locking and the windows can be done with the key in the door, i have my doubts if it is. also wouldnt the interior lighting not be working if the CMM had gone? and like i said we tried a new CMM which still didn't work, but maybe your right about the coding.

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I think VCDS is the only easy way to check the CCM. If you can connect to it then it's obviously getting power, if you can't connect then take it from there.

Seeing as the replacement CCM didn't work, then if you still have the old one, i'd swap back to that as at least you know the coding is right on that one.

Re-reading your original post, I think the big clue here may be the fact that your battery is draining overnight. The first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps the wiring to the CCM or the CCM itself is is shorting to ground somewhere?? I would of thought that would blow a fuse, but maybe it's only drawing a small current? (I'm just thinking out loud really, trying to give you some ideas.)

I think i'd try pulling those 4 fuses, so you know the CCM is disconnected and then see if the battery drains overnight. If it doesn't, then you know the problem is on that circuit.

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
i had that same fault on my car even after changing for new door modules checked everything turned out the passenger door wiring was draining the battery. £200 for new wiring looms for each door at seat.

jack1781

Dec 7, 2016
hello,

solved the problem. turns out my it was all down to my earth cable. were the cable mounts onto the car was corroded and dirty. cleaned it up and wouldnt you know it, everything is working again. very strange how it affected the central locking and windows but nothing else.

thanks for the help anyway

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.