Torco Unleaded Accelerator

mrratty

Aug 10, 2016
Fair enough if it's for curiosity. It's been a handy thread for me too as I know what to add to the fuel in my race bike.

If you come over to the mainland Silverstone circuit do Gulf 102 on pump. Smells awesome. Have you anywhere that does race fuel in NI.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Found this interesting, tested the output of a GTI using different petrols.

Fifth Gear Fuel test

Starts at 00:37.
I agree with her conclusion, having run previous two cars ( 280 & Mk2 LCR ) on a diet mainly of Momentum , I can tell the difference ( or think I can , I do know of the placebo effect:p ) between it and normal, peasant fuel. On the odd occasions when there isn't a Tesco to fill up in (or one that has Momentum) then normal fuel goes in. Round town, no discernable difference. Its only when you start to push it on open, twisty roads that the ( very slight) difference appears. It's most noticible when dropping down a gear or two for overtaking, there is a tad more responsiveness on the premium fuel than normal. The difference also appears to be more noticable as the mileage increases.
As for the other suggested benefit, better consumption, not fussed. It's a Cupra. Not a Prius :D

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
There's one or two places

Fair enough if it's for curiosity. It's been a handy thread for me too as I know what to add to the fuel in my race bike.

If you come over to the mainland Silverstone circuit do Gulf 102 on pump. Smells awesome. Have you anywhere that does race fuel in NI.

There's one or two places, but it's silly money. Yep, it'l be a trip to Britain before I cn get hold of the good stuff. The toluene thing is out too for two reasons. Not knowing how much is already in the fuel leads to not knowing how much to add safely, so may risk damaging the cat if I'm too generous with it. Also, in NI to start buying quantities of anything used in a combustion process as a Joe Bloggs may well either prove to be difficult or impossible. We still have lunatics trapped in the past and laws to deal with said lunatics, unfortunately.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Petition

There's one or two places, but it's silly money. Yep, it'l be a trip to Britain before I cn get hold of the good stuff. The toluene thing is out too for two reasons. Not knowing how much is already in the fuel leads to not knowing how much to add safely, so may risk damaging the cat if I'm too generous with it. Also, in NI to start buying quantities of anything used in a combustion process as a Joe Bloggs may well either prove to be difficult or impossible. We still have lunatics trapped in the past and laws to deal with said lunatics, unfortunately.

I wonder if a petition went to Tesco would they bring in the Momentum in at least one store? I mean Belfast has the third highest number of millionaires per capita in the UK (along with one of the biggest divides between those that have and those that have not) and there are some serious cars about the place, along with more Golf Rs etc. than you can shake a stick at. Also, there's plenty of modded cars about.

Last ditch desperate attempt lol

I'll see if it's possible to get one going and post a link so members in NI & the ROI can share it. IDK if location is detectable on these things.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
The toluene thing is out too for two reasons. Not knowing how much is already in the fuel leads to not knowing how much to add safely, so may risk damaging the cat if I'm too generous with it.

Yes any amount of toluene will seriously damage your cat, and likely land you with a fine or worse ;-)

http://m.petmd.com/cat/conditions/respiratory/c_ct_petroleum_hydrocarbon_toxicos

Personally I've never had any issues and neither has anyone I know and it's quite widely used.
in your case your only going to be mixing a very small amount as from what you said you only want to raise your your fuel to 99.
But like anything there will always be Internet stuff telling people how bad it is or how good it is.
Much like the debates on the net about how tescos momentum 99 is completely inferior to shell v power fuel etc etc
Ultimately though it's your engine and your decision :)

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
:)

Yes any amount of toluene will seriously damage your cat, and likely land you with a fine or worse ;-)

http://m.petmd.com/cat/conditions/respiratory/c_ct_petroleum_hydrocarbon_toxicos

Personally I've never had any issues and neither has anyone I know and it's quite widely used.
in your case your only going to be mixing a very small amount as from what you said you only want to raise your your fuel to 99.
But like anything there will always be Internet stuff telling people how bad it is or how good it is.
Much like the debates on the net about how tescos momentum 99 is completely inferior to shell v power fuel etc etc
Ultimately though it's your engine and your decision :)

:) I think I'll leave it and see about perhaps a tune after three years, if I still have the car. She's 18 months old now.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
If I recall from my days working in a garage that actually sold fuel, the octane rating shown on a pump is the minimum you'll get, so your 95ron might actually be 98, the same as you could get by buying the dear stuff, although 98 might be 99 or even 100, you pays yer money and takes your choice. I'm reliably told (dyno driver)that as long as you feed the car the fuel it needs shown on the flap or whatever spending more on higher octane fuel probably won't make a difference, but the more tax others pay means the less I have to give the taxman. Ta.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
If anybody in NI would like to contact Tesco & get everyone they know to also, please do so. It may do nothing, but it's worth a go. Here's the reply I got:

Thank you for the email.
I’m sorry to hear of the issue experience due to the petrol station in the Belfast area no longer hold the Tesco Momentum 99 Ron fuel. We are always looking for ways to improve our service for our customers.
From this, I have passed along your suggestion to our support team for this to be looked into, however, the more requests we have the more likely we can get this put in place in a select few petrol stations within Belfast.
We are always happy to hear our customers' views, so thank you for taking the time to tell us. If there is anything further I can assist with please responded to this email or speak with one of my colleagues via 0800 50 55 55.
Kind regards
Scott Parry
Tesco Customer Service
Tesco Customer Engagement Centre

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
I'm getting just that when I manage to wear out the current ones. ASY 3 or SS. Since I live in Ireland it may well b ASY 3 as they're meant to be marginally better in the wet, and not far off the SS in the dry. Also, they're the only tyre approved for police pursuit vehicles in NI.

I've the ASY 3's on my Cupra, albeit I've them on 18" wheels and they are great.
Plenty of grip in dry and also in the wet, good all round tyre and far better than the Bridgestones that come on the car.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
If anybody in NI would like to contact Tesco & get everyone they know to also, please do so. It may do nothing, but it's worth a go. Here's the reply I got:

Thank you for the email.
I’m sorry to hear of the issue experience due to the petrol station in the Belfast area no longer hold the Tesco Momentum 99 Ron fuel. We are always looking for ways to improve our service for our customers.
From this, I have passed along your suggestion to our support team for this to be looked into, however, the more requests we have the more likely we can get this put in place in a select few petrol stations within Belfast.
We are always happy to hear our customers' views, so thank you for taking the time to tell us. If there is anything further I can assist with please responded to this email or speak with one of my colleagues via 0800 50 55 55.
Kind regards
Scott Parry
Tesco Customer Service
Tesco Customer Engagement Centre

I'll post this over on the Audi forum, if you have no objection.
A few over there would probably be interested, especially a2 owners, as strangely for a normal bread and butter car, they run like cr*p on anything less than 98
Anyway I'll post it up over there when I have time

Every little helps ;):D

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Thanks man

I'll post this over on the Audi forum, if you have no objection.
A few over there would probably be interested, especially a2 owners, as strangely for a normal bread and butter car, they run like cr*p on anything less than 98
Anyway I'll post it up over there when I have time

Every little helps ;):D

Thanks man. Hopefully it will :) If anybody is on Subaru etc. forums few are to repost too :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members