2010 Ibiza TDi 1.4 Brake lights stuck, where's the sensor/switch?

Inzombie

Nov 10, 2016
i order the entire repair kit.
Ebay description is
This REPAIR KIT is a genuine OEM Volkswagen part #5G0-698-459

Replaces: 3C0-698-459, 3C0-698-459-A, 3C0-698-459-B, 8P0-698-459, 8P0-698-459-A, 8P0-698-459-B

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Excellent, as usual with VW group, part numbers changing frequently to cover up/hide problems that they are having! This is not good news, something I need to watch out for in the future!

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Excellent, as usual with VW group, part numbers changing frequently to cover up/hide problems that they are having! This is not good news, something I need to watch out for in the future!

And you'd be right to do so apparently.... the garage my car is going to tomorrow got two brake light switches from a local supplier and both were wrong. They ended up having to get the right one from the dealer. Which I guess is another reason why it was good for me to go to them - I would have happily bought one of the others!

Hopefully all will be fixed tomorrow and either way i'll report back.

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Quick update - not the brake light switch (after all that!). Garage just phoned to say it was something else..not sure what yet, possible wiring fault.

I am keeping everything crossed this doesn't become very costly...i have no idea how much wiring faults can be to fix... pffffffffff

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Once one of you have sorted this out the other might just be able to apply the same repair action - and so will others later on in time! Not good being the first to report this problem/failure, good luck!

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Hi folks! Sorry - got caught up in 14 hour work days (i'm a chocolatier....it's kind of a busy time for me! :)) and for some reason i'm not getting the notifications of replies (or they're dissapearing into the ether ..)

So anyway - the sensor was tripping out because a wire was shorting out. I *think* it was the wire to the sensor... the garage patched and strengthened the wire - problem solved.

So I'm very glad i took it to them - that's not a fault I would have been able to trace or solve I think!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I suppose that it would be good to know exactly where this wire is and why it gets damaged, maybe where it "appears" out from within the plastic protection tubes - or where SEAT has stupidly fitted a "too long" bolt that is working its way into this part of the cableform??

Hopefully you as second man in to this problem will find that out?

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
I suppose that it would be good to know exactly where this wire is and why it gets damaged, maybe where it "appears" out from within the plastic protection tubes - or where SEAT has stupidly fitted a "too long" bolt that is working its way into this part of the cableform??

Hopefully you as second man in to this problem will find that out?

I'll see if i can find ou from the garage...when i get a day off that is.... er...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'll see if i can find ou from the garage...when i get a day off that is.... er...

I think that you probably have work to do to keep us satisfied for Christmas, it would be good if you could get info from that garage that sorted your car out, but I'm sure that they will not be able to remember every car repair they carry out, though maybe this one was unusual.

I was thinking that it would be Inzombie that would probable now be the one that finds out exactly where the wire failure was - that is if his failure is exactly the same as your one.

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
I think that you probably have work to do to keep us satisfied for Christmas, it would be good if you could get info from that garage that sorted your car out, but I'm sure that they will not be able to remember every car repair they carry out, though maybe this one was unusual.

I was thinking that it would be Inzombie that would probable now be the one that finds out exactly where the wire failure was - that is if his failure is exactly the same as your one.

Oh I suspect they'll remember this one! It was in the garage for several days and had them scratching their heads for a bit....I htink they went through three switches as well!

But yes - rigt now is work time.....I'm typically finishing production about 2-3am and starting work again around 9 (after waking at 7:30 determined to get an early start but utter unable to!). The joys of being a sole trader with a seasonal business I guess ::rofl:

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Annnnnd the glow light is flashing again. No idea why this time though - lights are all fine (checked the rear lights by parking in front of a motorcycle delivery guy wearing a full reflective suit...amazing the range of colours you can get from them when cycling through your rear lights..).

It happened twice - on each leg of an hour long return journey, mostly motorway...and when I had to suddenly speed up to avoid the feisty lane crossing traffic. However it didn't happen on an hour long journey on teh same motorway when keeping the speed steady at around 70 and 2000 rpm. Bizarre.

Have now ordered a bluetooth OBD2 device......I suspect I may see this light again a few times.

It really is the most retarded system though....

"Here's a warning light"
"What does it warn me of?!!"
"Stuff....a bunch of stuff...could be serious...get it checked....might just turn out to be a really expensive bulb replacement though"

Really?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I agree with that sentiment!

After my wife bought a new Polo last year, she was sent a link to a survey for her to complete, really asking lots of questions about her thoughts on VW products etc, I was given the job of filling it in and when it came to the part about "why did you chose to buy a VW?" my (smug!) answer was, remembering this was meant to be filled in by her - "because my husband owns VCDS scan tool!" - that was meant to be my smug way of saying, "it will go wrong, and I need to be able to try and work out what is wrong with it without having to take it to a VW garage. I'm sure that answer went completely over the heads of the company that VW used to provide that survey service, but it made me feel a bit better for a brief moment!

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
I agree with that sentiment!

After my wife bought a new Polo last year, she was sent a link to a survey for her to complete, really asking lots of questions about her thoughts on VW products etc, I was given the job of filling it in and when it came to the part about "why did you chose to buy a VW?" my (smug!) answer was, remembering this was meant to be filled in by her - "because my husband owns VCDS scan tool!" - that was meant to be my smug way of saying, "it will go wrong, and I need to be able to try and work out what is wrong with it without having to take it to a VW garage. I'm sure that answer went completely over the heads of the company that VW used to provide that survey service, but it made me feel a bit better for a brief moment!

Nice....and yes it will have gone over their heads or just ignored. They will be looking for themes rather than specific answers (unless something really stands out). I used to do those kinds of surveys (as in design and analyse them).

The light hasn't reappeared again despite pootling about round town today - seems it's (possibly) sudden acceleration that does it at a particular speed.

Obviously...given that it's a 1.4 diesel...I use the terms 'acceleration' and 'speed' in their loosest sense...

Hopefully my new OBD BT dongle and a suitable app will reveal all - the dongle has literally just been delivered. Fortunately I need to head to the car park anyway shortly... :)

I do think the car is running a little sluggish...but it's hard to tell when it's never been exactly "feisty" in the first place. I'm hoping the diags will give me an insight into whether anything not revealed by lights is not up to par (although to be fair..........there's a LOT of sensor information and I have little idea what to look at yet!).

Any pointers on good things to look at that may lead to sluggish performance would be gratefully received!

And of course - there will hopefully be a log of the recent flashing light....or not....either way I'd rather find out than pay someone else to do it first! :)

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
So = checked the fault codes using a "Torque Pro" OBD2 BT adaptor found on amazon and Torque Pro app - nada. No codes. No reappearance of the light either. Weird.....but I'll take that.

Now if I can just work out how to decipher what all the other readings are........

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.