conflicting info re: OBD for a Mk1

grimett

Dec 2, 2016
Good morning everyone!

I've signed up to the forum especially to ask this so I hope I get it right. I'm looking to buy an OBD for a Leon Mk1 (2005), but i've seen conflicting info online about which OBDs would be compatible. :confused:

The intention is to be able to find out what the occassional engine warning light is about. Not too fussed about being able to remove the warning lights etc, just want to know what they mean!

Many thanks,

Grimett

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I think it's an ODB2 port and they seem to be standard on all european cars after a certain date (2000 ish).

If you have an android phone then the torque app and an ELM327 is a no brainer, I paid £7 delivered from Ebay for the bluetooth adaptor and £3 for the full torque app.
(ELM327 Bluetooth ODB2 OBDII Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner Scan Tool ON/OFF Switch)

This will tell you engine management codes, show you about 200 live readings like turbo boost, BHP, temperature, battery voltage ....

If you don't have android then a generic code reader will set you back £25 - £30 on ebay or amazon.

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
if you have a iphone you need a wifi dongle. as apple stuff wont connect through bluetooth. then just get dashcommand off the store. (same as torque essentially)

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I bought the maxi-scan 405 which is perfect for reading and clearing codes and also allows you reset the service indicator if you do your own servicing
Search the Bay - item # 181718318968 ;)

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
I bought myself the vgate VS450 scanner
its essentially the same as vagcom which enables to read the codes will give the code and most descriptions of faults and then reset them ( also does airbags etc

there is the vag option and then there is just the odb2 which will scan non vag cars handy for friends and family etc

ive also bough a Bluetooth dongle and the torque app

and have also bough vcds lead off ebay but needs a laptop for this