EGR Delete - what a load of cr@p!

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
OK, so Joe's car was making a siren noise which we all thought was the turbo on it's way out.

I also considered removing the EGR valve as I did it on my van (T5) not long after I bought it and the difference in fuel consumption and lack of black smoke was incredible.
I thought it might throw up an EML on his Leon so as it was booked in at TH Performance in Havant for a new turbo and remap I decided to get rid of the EGR before it went in, so that the remap would take care of any EML.

The pipe itself came from a company in Bulgaria (profidiesel), bought off eBay - came with all gaskets required as well as a jubilee clip for the intake hose connection.

It arrived in 48 hours, which was good. I even got a discount on the postage because the seller forgot to despatch it the same day as per the bay ad!

Here it is...

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
Unfortunately, the instructions were pretty poor, although that wasn't a major problem as I've done the job on the T5 (as I said) and this was almost exactly the same (in principle at least)

1 - remove engine cover

2 - unclip both ends of flexible intake hose leading to EGR vale unit

3 - undo the two allen head bolts underneath the EGR valve holding the ear pipe to it (you need to do this first to gain access to one of the EGR to intake manifold bolts)

4 - unbolt EGR valve assembly from intake manifold (three allen headed bolts, one on top and two underneath - they're a little fiddly but with a socket extension it wasn't that difficult

5 - remove EGR valve assembly and actuator (try not to snap the actuator off like I did, although you won't need it again anyway)

This was what the EGR assembly looked like...

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
Next step is to remove the EGR pipe which is by now only connected to the exhaust manifold.

The use the blanking plate in the kit along with the gasket to seal off the resultant hole in the exhaust manifold

Then bolt up the EGR bypass pipe, using the supplied casket and new bolts (you don't have to use the new bolts, but I did because they were shinier than the old ones!)

Stupidly, I didn't take a picture of this, and it's dark now.

The next bit would be a little worrying if I hadn't done it on the van with good instructions.

The flexible intake hose has metal ends (both ends) held it place with large circlips. There's no such circlip on the end of the egr delete pipe which is why the jubilee clip is included.

What you need to do is CAREFULLY cut the end of the metal ned off the pipe where it joins to the EGR valve. there's an indent in the metal which is where you need to cut. If you do this, the metal piece can be levered out of the pipe leaving a clear rubber hose. This is what fits onto the end of the EGR delete pipe and is held in with the jubilee clip.
I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it up.

Last edited:

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
the only thing I forgot is to clean the intake manifold of all the crap that has built up over the years. Mind none of it drops into the manifold though, as this is the INTAKE manifold, and you don't want sludgy black crap going in there if you can help it.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Wow that's a massive amount of dirt in there. Egr is a terrible think to stick on a diesel. How many miles has your car done?

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
i did the delete on my old tdi, when i finally got round to the egr cooler removal, (bout 8 months later) i found alot of the crap in my intake man had gone, im not saying it will clean itself, but there was definatly less **** in the mani than previously.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
That's the worse one I've ever seen, that's why people should take care of there cars maybe even once a month go over everything, clean everything out, that's what I do, I have a petrol tho but still go down once a week and check everything's ok, keep on top of things and nothing will go wrong

65coupe

I'm too old for this!
Sep 8, 2007
Southampton
That's the worse one I've ever seen, that's why people should take care of there cars maybe even once a month go over everything, clean everything out, that's what I do, I have a petrol tho but still go down once a week and check everything's ok, keep on top of things and nothing will go wrong

Bought 10 months ago with 65k and a full service history!

Wow that's a massive amount of dirt in there. Egr is a terrible think to stick on a diesel. How many miles has your car done?
73k now. needed a new turbo too which is why I took the EGR off before it went in for the turbo (just in case it needed to be mapped out)

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Bought 10 months ago with 65k and a full service history!

73k now. needed a new turbo too which is why I took the EGR off before it went in for the turbo (just in case it needed to be mapped out)

That's not many miles to get that clogged up. Get it mapped out or at least turned down to as low as possible on vag-com.

Goacher65

Aug 11, 2012
Out of interest, did this fix your "siren noise"?

Mines been doing the same thing for 6 months or so, but the EGR is clear. Do however have an exhuast leak from the cooler connection to the EGR, so thinking of doing an EGR and EGR cooler delete.

H

masterfrodo

Jul 29, 2016
That is one terrible looking EGR!!!

I had my EGR replaced a little while back, and although the old one had died - it was the actuator that had failed, the EGR itself was very clean, with no build up. Same for the intake - very clean in there

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
i deleted my egr valve car runs great and no eml lights or codes . the only thing i do is after lots of stop start town trips i clean the turbo with mister muscle oven cleaner put 3 bolts back on exhaust and never get limp mode. not even getting the turbo whistle telling me its time to start cleaning the turbo which always was the reason for the whistle sooted turbo vanes 2 pound turbo clean.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
I ve had the whistle noise for a while , it was the EGR to mani o ring that has broker apart and the give away was black sludge mist all over the UFo or what ever people refer the disk part too

im considering doing an EGR delete on mine

any recommendations on where to buy , been looking at the dark side kit but not sure if I need to purchase anything else