Just need quick answers.....PLEASE!

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Hi Guys & Girls!

I have a 1.8Tsi FR SC DSG and need your honest opinions please on next purchase.

I use a lot of fuel and thought I'd go for exactly the same car but 2016 184bhp and remap so it's just as quick as the 1.8Tsi and wondered what everyone else is getting MPG normal driving :D £19,000

OR :shrug: Do I bite the bullet only live once and get same 3 door again also white but 290 Cupra DSG £23,000 but what would the real world MPG be, also normal driving?

NB:Apologises to you if there's a million threads I could trawl through, but quicker to get answer's live now PLEASE :thanks:

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
Do you do more than 15k miles a year and mostly do longish (ie over 6 -8 miles) journeys, if yes get the diesel, if no get the Cupra.

Actually, just get the Cupra, it looks like diesels are about to be legislated in to the history books for passenger cars!

Sihey MK3 FR

Nov 1, 2016
My mate has a DSG 184 Tdi and he is averaging 52 mpg. Mines the 150 manual and gets slightly more. I'll be the devil on the shoulder and say go Cupra, it will probably niggle at you if you don't. But be prepared to cry when you think about the addition cost haha. Or just buy a cheaper fast car for 12 months (something older that's not going to depreciate fast) then go derv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Let's say you do 15000 miles per year. A diesel at 50mpg is going to cost you £1600 in fuel. My Cupra does 32mpg on average over all sorts of journeys, so that's £2500 in fuel. We are talking about £900 per year difference, or £75 per month.

Ditch the diesel. And, we are now told it pollutes in more ways than we think.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Do you do more than 15k miles a year and mostly do longish (ie over 6 -8 miles) journeys, if yes get the diesel, if no get the Cupra.

Actually, just get the Cupra, it looks like diesels are about to be legislated in to the history books for passenger cars!

Hi, I do around 15,000 a year including commuting 60 miles to work and back.

Sorry bit thick but what does diesels might be legislated soon mean? Cheers

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
My mate has a DSG 184 Tdi and he is averaging 52 mpg. Mines the 150 manual and gets slightly more. I'll be the devil on the shoulder and say go Cupra, it will probably niggle at you if you don't. But be prepared to cry when you think about the addition cost haha. Or just buy a cheaper fast car for 12 months (something older that's not going to depreciate fast) then go derv

Hi, Yeah I keep thinking be sensible but been through life like that and love my 1.8Tsi and would love a cupra but worried about needing a fuel tanker to follow me around LOL

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Let's say you do 15000 miles per year. A diesel at 50mpg is going to cost you £1600 in fuel. My Cupra does 32mpg on average over all sorts of journeys, so that's £2500 in fuel. We are talking about £900 per year difference, or £75 per month.

Ditch the diesel. And, we are now told it pollutes in more ways than we think.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, is your cupra 280? if so do you think the 290 is a little better on fuel or possibly worse? Cheers

Sihey MK3 FR

Nov 1, 2016
Hi, Yeah I keep thinking be sensible but been through life like that and love my 1.8Tsi and would love a cupra but worried about needing a fuel tanker to follow me around LOL

I'm far too sensible at times, I suggest you get a cupra and justify it as just a bit more fuel than you are using now. Who knows how long they will be making fast pure petrols for. Supercars are going hybrid (not a bad thing) tradition petrol and diesels are coming to an end, enjoy them while we have them

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
Hi, I do around 15,000 a year including commuting 60 miles to work and back.

Sorry bit thick but what does diesels might be legislated soon mean? Cheers

Various cities are saying they are going to ban them from entering, the fact they are low CO2 output and thus taxed lower than petrol cars will soon be a thing of the past, the VW emissions scandal has been a catalyst for governments everywhere to back track on the whole encouraging people to but "clean" diesels, as they most certainly are not clean (I am an ex diesel owner and have seen this coming for a while).
TBH I also think petrol engines days are numbered as well, but not for a while yet.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hi, Thanks for the reply, is your cupra 280? if so do you think the 290 is a little better on fuel or possibly worse? Cheers

having had both ( 280 & 290) they are roughly equal on consumption. In normal use ( wife's daily 10 mile commute plus a bit more at weekends) it gets around 300 miles to the tank.on a run ( mways on cruise etc )it will do more, have seen 390 on one occasion (wife driving I add ;) ) giving it the full, er , beans will use more , obviously, but even on a recent mixed road blast round Wales ( Evo triangle, mountain roads,M54 etc) it didn't drop that much ( honest , its what I told t'wife ;) )
All done on Tesco 99, none of that peasant shite.
In short, get a Cupra. Anything else is a compromise. Life's too short etc.

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
I'm far too sensible at times, I suggest you get a cupra and justify it as just a bit more fuel than you are using now. Who knows how long they will be making fast pure petrols for. Supercars are going hybrid (not a bad thing) tradition petrol and diesels are coming to an end, enjoy them while we have them

I Agree thanks :D

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Various cities are saying they are going to ban them from entering, the fact they are low CO2 output and thus taxed lower than petrol cars will soon be a thing of the past, the VW emissions scandal has been a catalyst for governments everywhere to back track on the whole encouraging people to but "clean" diesels, as they most certainly are not clean (I am an ex diesel owner and have seen this coming for a while).
TBH I also think petrol engines days are numbered as well, but not for a while yet.

Thanks, yes I see your point, maybe I need to just get the 290 Cupra before I have to get a hybrid LOL

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
having had both ( 280 & 290) they are roughly equal on consumption. In normal use ( wife's daily 10 mile commute plus a bit more at weekends) it gets around 300 miles to the tank.on a run ( mways on cruise etc )it will do more, have seen 390 on one occasion (wife driving I add ;) ) giving it the full, er , beans will use more , obviously, but even on a recent mixed road blast round Wales ( Evo triangle, mountain roads,M54 etc) it didn't drop that much ( honest , its what I told t'wife ;) )

Ha Ha Ha you made me laugh, I like the "Life's too short" quote.

I've always been a conservative guy and never rebelled until I purchased the 1.8Tsi last year and love it to bits.

Having a little more money after recent divorce thought bo**ocks enjoy life rather than get a derv.

Cheers for comments.

mrvanx

Feb 13, 2014
York

Agreed, got my 290 two days ago and love it. So glad i got the ACC option as......like you say......todays roads are congested enough to have to drive sensibly most of the time, and the ACC with DSG works wonders.

having beasted it a bit its still in the mid-30s for MPG which is great.

long term I cant see much hardship compared to my old Focus TDCi 1.6 which was pretty much always 50MPG.

If you can get it, get the cupra :D

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Agreed, got my 290 two days ago and love it. So glad i got the ACC option as......like you say......todays roads are congested enough to have to drive sensibly most of the time, and the ACC with DSG works wonders.

having beasted it a bit its still in the mid-30s for MPG which is great.

long term I cant see much hardship compared to my old Focus TDCi 1.6 which was pretty much always 50MPG.

If you can get it, get the cupra :D

Thanks, I'm edging towards cupra rather than a diesel and remap :D

dw911

Mar 30, 2013

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
What sort of mpg are you getting from the 1.8 ? I'm sure you will find there is not much different, perhaps 10-20% with normal driving. My brother's golf 7R is actually better over certain journeys, his is dsg and mine is manual. If your pushing on expect to see less than 20 regularly though

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.