2010 Ibiza TDi 1.4 Brake lights stuck, where's the sensor/switch?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is this one of these situations where someone has bought a generic OBD2 scan tool and there are no emissions codes stored, I've only ever only bought VAG specific scan tools and they can find all stored fault codes, if you didn't know, VAG cars can generate quite a lot of fault codes from each of their smart controllers which should make fault finding a bit easier.

Exactly what fault code coverage did that app promise?

Last edited:

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Is this one of these situations where someone has bought a generic OBD2 scan tool and there are no emissions codes stored, I've only ever only bought VAG specific scan tools and they can find all stored fault codes, if you didn't know, VAG cars can generate quite a lot of fault codes from each of their smart controllers which should make fault finding a bit easier.

Exactly what fault code coverage did that app promise?

I would say...yes probably... Torque Pro *should* work but I do wonder if its missing stuff. I know you suggested carista but given my occassional need - it's a bit too pricey to justify.

Can you suggest an alternative perhaps?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sorry I can't suggest a cheap alternative, I used to have a cheap Gendan scan tool really just for keeping in any of our cars when we were away from home and my VCDS, but time and cars have moved on and that scan tool has been sold on to someone with earlier VAG cars. That is why I bought Carista, unfortunately I don't think that there is any (legal) cheap way to provide yourself with a scan tool that will cover all areas and all provided fault codes from VAG cars. It should be noted here that it is really handy that VAG did do a good job on making so many fault codes clear across their range.

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Sorry I can't suggest a cheap alternative, I used to have a cheap Gendan scan tool really just for keeping in any of our cars when we were away from home and my VCDS, but time and cars have moved on and that scan tool has been sold on to someone with earlier VAG cars. That is why I bought Carista, unfortunately I don't think that there is any (legal) cheap way to provide yourself with a scan tool that will cover all areas and all provided fault codes from VAG cars. It should be noted here that it is really handy that VAG did do a good job on making so many fault codes clear across their range.

Ah well.... in *theory* Torque Pro will pick up the fault codes (which is all I really want it for to be honest)....however there is also OBDeleven - but that uses proprietary hardware that costs about the same as a year of Carista. Hmmm......

I guess i'll see how it goes - the light hasn't reappeared despite making the exact same journey multiple times under the same conditions so fingers crossed it was a ghost in the machine!

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
So the light reappeared again........ but this time with a code; code P0299 - Turbo underboost. Nice and vague... now begins the tracing of pipes and valves. Fun.......

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Just posting to this thread to bring it back up to the top for the latest person that has this issue!

The brake light issue? My recommendation would be - if you don't have a pedal mounted switch...go to a garage :)

(If it's the turbo issue...good luck.....I *still* haven't quite solved it)

Lefty

Feb 1, 2014
Just to bring this up again.

Does anyone know the brake disc size for the 1.4 diesels. A friend of mine has one and was going to pick him some up but I have no idea what's on there due to steel wheels.

It could be drums on the back for all I know

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd guess 288mm front discs, but knowing SEAT's reluctance to fit the same size of brakes at the same power output point as VW do, it would be better if you did some more checks, like:- are the front callipers FS111 if so should be 256mm front discs, if the front callipers are ATE, ie have a vertical anti-rattle spring if so should be 288mm front discs. I've deliberately stuffed a few "should"s in there, seeing is believing, guessing is for mugs!
Rear brakes, again look>see.

Lefty

Feb 1, 2014
You see mine are 288 in the 2.0 and my friends were 288 in the 1.6 diesels but you never know with the 1.4.

The wheels would have to come off the see anything because at the minute they are totally blocked.

Just wondering if anyone knew off hand

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This is where being boring and preparing for the future with your car pays dividends, either work it out as soon as you get the car or get hold of a print out of CAR DATA. Oh and take a note of the security bolt code as well!