Just need quick answers.....PLEASE!

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I'm not sure what you mean by mapping the 184 when it has the same power and pretty much the same 0-60 as the 1.8 and has more torque! I love my FR Titanium 184, I got it because I do up to 15k a year and I was jumping from a 1.4 turbo corsa and didn't fancy going straight from 120 to 290 bhp, couldn't trust myself!

I'm on a 2 year lease and I'd say that I'm 95% petrol next time, as others have said diesels are dirty, I'm just playing the fact that it'll take a few years to come to the forefront and when it does it's not my problem as I won't own the car and don't pay the tax(the lease company do I'm not some tax fraud)

If I was you going from an already fast car to a faster one and you can afford the petrol/diesel hit (more like 1k if you include tax difference) then go cupra, or at least a petrol something.

The day my car stops making a noise will be a dark day, tesla or not I don't want 2.4 second 0-60 if it sounds like a gust of wind!

Forgot mpg...
I did a journey of 220 miles and averaged 54mpg, over the 18 months I had the corsa I averaged 35. My work journey is 12 miles total, that kind of journey is pretty much no different in terms of mpg, it's traffic, my miles are done at weekends where I see the difference.

Hope you find what you're looking for

Last edited:

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
Recently went from the 2.8 180 to the Cupra 290 myself.
The 1.8 gave me 40-42 on the daily commute in summer dropping to 35-38 in he winter months.
The Cupra was doing 35-38 in the warmer weather dropping to 31-32 when it's colder.

Journey for journey with similar driving I reckon about 4-5 mpg less I the Cupra, not too much of a sacrifice for when you do take advantage for the odd burst of power for a safe overtake etc

First few hundred miles weren't so good on fuel whilst it all bedded in but neither were they in the 1.8

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Forget the derv...get the 290. The only looking back you'll be doing is in the rear view mirror as the cars behind disappear into view. No amount of stage1/2 mapped 184's will keep up...

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
BMW i3. That's what you want.
don't forget the very long lead if you don't get the one with a range extender :D or you'll run out of juice before you've purchased enough lentils, sandals and cheesecloth shirts. At least while you are waiting for it to charge you can hug a tree. Unless it's been burnt to fuel power stations. Or poisoned by the emissions from coal fired stations. Or irradiated by the fall out from nuclear stations. Or cleared to make way for a wind farm. :p
Just buy a Cupra while you still can and save the trees. You know it makes sense.

Last edited:

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
It all depends on your monthly budget.

The way I've always worked it out a petrol car costs about double a diesel in monthly running costs for anything over 15000 miles per year.

Remember Petrol is more expensive than diesel, road tax on a 184 is £20, on a cupra its £185 and insurance is approx. double at least it is for me.
I worked out that on my 20kpa 184tdi running costs are about £180 a month (fuel, tax, insurance) and a cupra would be about £380 for the same. Add to that the higher purchase price of a cupra (so a likely higher monthly finance payment) and then figure out if you can fit that I your budget.

I dropped out of a 147GTA (3.2 v6 250bhp) to a 170 mark 2 Fr and now a 184 fr as the monthly fuel bills were killing me. Yes the performance is missed, but as many above have stated you don't get much of a chance these days to use it as theres a speed camera on vitually every corner :(

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
BMW i3. That's what you want.

don't forget the very long lead if you don't get the one with a range extender :D or you'll run out of juice before you've purchased enough lentils, sandals and cheesecloth shirts. At least while you are waiting for it to charge you can hug a tree. Unless it's been burnt to fuel power stations. Or poisoned by the emissions from coal fired stations. Or irradiated by the fall out from nuclear stations. Or cleared to make way for a wind farm. :p
Just buy a Cupra while you still can and save the trees. You know it makes sense.

:rofl:

Yep I steer clear of anything named with 'I' at the beginning, normally means it overpriced, restrictive, gimmicky, or just plain crap but it's got an 'I' so will get bought regardless, it might even try to kill you unless your Will Smith :D

Aardvark

Apr 24, 2014
Leeds, Yorkshire
In real world driving the level of torque from 1500 revs on the 184 FR will always give you an edge. Overtaking uphill in any gear is a breeze.

I came back from Slough yesterday to north Leeds including getting through both cities, and Leeds in rush hour in winter. Roadworks on a lot of the M1 and HADECS 3 on long runs of the M25 and M1

I took a shot of my trip

206 miles
4 hours 2 mins
70.3mpg

My son has a coupe 184 and his mate has a Cupra and when they go for a play in the dales the oil burner does not embarrass itself and in gear acceleration between 30 and 60mph it has an edge, going uphill it has an even bigger edge.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
By the time the front wheel 290bhp of the cupra has finished wheel spinning the 184 won't be far behind anyway, I love the pull I get in my FR it's like someone's rear ended you when it hits 1500 it just goes and with my Titanium I have side skirts and spoiler standard that are extras on cupra and standard FR models :S

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
It also depends how long you intend to keep the vehicle. The way things are going the government :w4nk: look like they are going to hit diesels hard tax wise after the recent issues. As the cost of diesel is already a sore point with lorryists it is unlikely the duty on that will be raised by much, perhaps the price will be in line with unleaded, so in order to put motorists off buying diesels it's possible car tax will rise, and possibly tax on new diesel vehicles.
Horses for courses really. Maybe Seat will bring out a diesel Cupra..... ;)

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
I've read loads of times that a diesel tax will come out. The most recent story read was the idea of additional first registration tax for a diesel that was about £500, however trading an old diesel in for a brand new petrol would provide you with a grant similar to buying a hybrid.

I work with a guy that's got the 2.0 diesel Leon and is considering a Cupra 290 when the 300s come out. This guy has done well over 15,000 miles a year.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I guess the style of 15000 mile driving you do is obviously going to be a large factor if a lot of it is sitting in rush hour traffic will you notice a difference, probably not if you're doing 200 mile trips down the motorway then you'll feel the difference more I own a diesel, in 2 years time I'm getting a petrol, I like the look of BMW 430s but I'll keep that hush hush round here in cupra town

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
What sort of mpg are you getting from the 1.8 ? I'm sure you will find there is not much different, perhaps 10-20% with normal driving. My brother's golf 7R is actually better over certain journeys, his is dsg and mine is manual. If your pushing on expect to see less than 20 regularly though

Hi
I'm averaging around 35mpg.
Can get down to 30mpg and up to 40mpg on long journeys.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members