Slow Puncture/Rear Bumper Repair

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
I got some great info from another request so I thought that I would ask some queries on some other problems I have.

First off I have a slow puncture, I've taken it to the local garage and they have informed me that there is nothing in the tyre and it seems as if the wheels have corroded, I was a little surprised as I had the wheel fully refurbed when I got the car approx 4 years ago.

I am unsure what to do as I've never experienced this! Is this something that can be easily fixed myself or do i need to get someone to do it? If so anyone know the approx price?

I know the tyres are due to be changed soon so I could get it done at the same time.

Second off I have cracked the rear bumper, can these be repaired easily or is it a new bumper? The crack is approx 6 inches long!

Cheers for any help

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, i had a similar problem recently, one of my rims split on the inside of the wheel. It was hard to notice until i squirted soapy water all over it, and then you could see it bubbling. I looked into getting it repaired, but the cost was half the price of a new wheel. So i just ended up ordering a new one in the end.

Last edited:

CupraMk11975

Dec 13, 2016
Cheers for the info, Im gonna get the wheel off over the Christmas period and have a look at it, see what I can find

Only had 10psi in it this morning :-(

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Get the new tyres fitted and see if it still goes down, it could be the tyre isn't seated properly or the bead is damaged. Just because there isn't anything in the tyre doesn't mean it isn't leaking.

If the tyres are past the best then they often misshape and leak, plus the valve could also be at fault.

As for the bumper, yes you can fix it, you will need to (basic method):

• Drill the bumper at the ends of the crack to stop it from spreading further.
  • Drill several small holes along each side of the crack, probably 4/5 on each side will do it.
  • Ream out the crack into a V channel
  • Buy a mesh and resin kit, then secrue the mesh to the underside of the damaged area, fill the front with the resin filler and leave to dry.
  • Rub down and skim fill as required
  • Get it painted to match.

Or... you could get a spare bumper that either matches the colour already or have one painted to suit.

borisvanhalen

FR is not a dirty word...
Feb 7, 2009
salisbury
had a slow puncture last year, kwik-fit cam out to the house to fit new fronts... month later its still leaking

turns out they're stingy with the sealing paint stuff that they put on the rim/tyre

my mate had his mechanic round, he whipped the tyre off, plastered it with sealant and fitted a new valve all for a tenner... had no problems since

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.