Have anybody changed the suspension?

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
Hi there! First of all want to apologize for my bad english, feel very sorry about it :)

At this moment I've got a Leon SC 1.8 FR with russian suspension pack, that means softer shock absorbers and longer springs (+20mm), because VAG afraids of our roads and give this pack to all cars, selling in russia (except audis with s-line packs)

But in central regions roads almostly OK and now I want to have a bit harder suspension without excess lowering, so I wonder, can I find used stock springs from euro-version? Don't want to buy new springs, if it's possible to get used, because springs can't run-out in a short time :)

And also doubt about shock absorbers - what's better to get - the stock ones from euro-sport version (SACHS or Monroe), or Bilstein B6? Wouldn't it be too hard with B6?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
You will be able to pick up used springs and shocks on ebay for example, or you can buy new from a Euro SEAT Dealer like SERE in Ireland.

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
Or get a good adjustable coilover set like i dd?

I think coilovers would be enough low for my conditions:)

And maybe it will be better (and cheaper) for me to have a trip to you to Finland for your parts, if they are in great condition )))

Because I've been on shock absorber test in my local dealer and they said, that after 30kkm of Russian roads my shocks have 50% resource left.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I think coilovers would be enough low for my conditions:)

And maybe it will be better (and cheaper) for me to have a trip to you to Finland for your parts, if they are in great condition )))

Because I've been on shock absorber test in my local dealer and they said, that after 30kkm of Russian roads my shocks have 50% resource left.

Well they have been driven 32k so not new for sure, but maybe our roads are better than in Moscow:whistle:

Go get a new kit from Koni, KW, ST or something and you are happy.

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
Lentäjä, Koni or K&W sets have very low springs (in my opinion). -30-40mm may be still enough for smooth and clean european roads, but here I need at least a little reserve of clearence, espesially in winter when it might be a lots of snowdrifts in the countryside.

So the european springs, that just 20-25mm lower then russian would be preferable choise.

Can you look a code at sticker in your service book, what options does your car have? Is there code 2UC ?

PS Sorry for asking in a public thread, but I can't understand, how enable personal messages. Maybe I still don't have enough posts.

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
mrratty, but in such way why do I need coilovers?)

I want to try stock euro-FR suspension, and if I'll still want more, then install there Bilstein B6 or Koni sport into a stock springs)

mrratty

Aug 10, 2016
Just you said coil overs would be too low.

I agree try euro spec springs and dampers and see how it goes. Are Russian roads worse than UK roads??

I see lots of russian videos of cars crashing or spinning.

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
mrratty, federal motorways and roads in big cities almostly OK, also got few race tracks nearby, but sometimes in the suburbs or during parking you might have troubles with enough lowered car.

I think there're lots of crash videos from Russia because of cases of agressive driving (no fine) and frequently breaking of traffic rules. We got not huge fines for overspeeding, for example for overspeeding from +20 to +40 km/h (no matter in the city or on the highway) you'll get ticket only for 5£, and if you pay it during 20 days you'll get 50% discount! Overspeeding from +40 to +60 km/h will cost you 15£ (no discount), and only from over +60km/h you may loose your driver licence (or just get 50£ fine for the 1st time). Overspeeding until less then +20km/h is absolutely legal :) So if you see sign 50 you can drive 70.

And also huge amount of videos might be in case of russian drivers love car video recorders, 30-50% cars have dashcams onboard. More cameras - more crashes can be recordered and then uploaded on youtube. Some people even make hard crash compilations, like that bike crashes (not all russian, some chineese).
https://youtu.be/Wlrlz6g2HF0

Last edited:

mrratty

Aug 10, 2016
Wow I wish our speeding fines were like that in uk.

I see a lot of the dash cam footage. It also seems there is a problem with drivers maybe falling asleep whilst driving.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Lentäjä, Koni or K&W sets have very low springs (in my opinion). -30-40mm may be still enough for smooth and clean european roads, but here I need at least a little reserve of clearence, espesially in winter when it might be a lots of snowdrifts in the countryside.

So the european springs, that just 20-25mm lower then russian would be preferable choise.

Can you look a code at sticker in your service book, what options does your car have? Is there code 2UC ?

PS Sorry for asking in a public thread, but I can't understand, how enable personal messages. Maybe I still don't have enough posts.

I will check, no problem mate.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise