My 5 yr old 1.2 Sportrider... is Mk6 around the corner?

loonymoon

I've had a 1.2TSI (105bhp) sportrider SC Ibiza from brand new for 5 years now. I am nearing completion of a loan I used to consolidate my original car payment and pay of other debts so I'm now considering what to do next.

My car is at 76,000, had a cam chain change earlier in the year and I do about 15,000 miles a year. It seems to be running well still so I'm hoping I can keep it past my loan completion in the summer and start to save that money for another year, however I do get itchy feet every now and then but I really like this car, the Sportrider trim is fantastic - it's basically what is now badged an FR but with better spec (just slightly less sporty detailing) including loads of what would be expensive extras on the now FR.

Looking at trims now I wouldn't get anything like it without spending at least an extra few K over what I paid for this originally, so that's stopping the itchy feet a bit.

Also... I'm curious is there a Mk6 Ibiza around the corner?? That might help me keep the itchy feet at bay for a while and keep the car/save money for a year or so more!

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes there is a new model starting next year, a bit more like the Leon and maybe slightly bigger - there will be a new Polo as well.

loonymoon

maybe slightly bigger

Dammit why do they make them bigger :-( I like the size of the ibiza, especially since getting into my driveway and not hitting the walls/my husband's van is much easier in a smaller car.

Ah well I guess I 'll see what the specs are.
I already decided there's no point in getting a new car that's essentially the same unless there was somthing wrong with my car or it was starting to cost me money (no indication yet of that).

ian_106

Jul 14, 2007
I just prefer the look of the mk4 dash, the air vents, centre console, pop out drinks holder, steering wheel
mvpw01.jpg

The mk5 seems to use cheaper plastics, the air con unit looks like a last minute thought.
14nmgsg.jpg

loonymoon

I had a mk 4 before the mk5 I did like the Alfa style external looks but I prefer the mk5 plastics the older ones were harder to the touch and louder if you tapped on them. Facelift mk 5 has more integrated Aircon unit

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Granted the Mk5 does look a lot like the A1, but I prefer the SEAT look. IMO it's the best looking of the family in Ibiza shape, much better looking than Polo or Fabia, though the new Fabia is better than the older one.

I think that VW were being very lazy when they updated the Polo 6R to 6C, as all the important changes were made out of sight, ie properly sorted out engines and "electronics package" along with changing to electric steering and rejigged base platform. I did buy a new 6C Polo for my wife to replace her old 2002MY 9N Polo, but I was not impressed with the overall look of it when compared with the slightly earlier 6R Polo, a small bit of tweaking here and there could have made all the difference and made it clear to none car people that it was a newer/better/improved model of Polo!

Forgotten his name now, but the (ex Alfa) designer that gave SEAT brand its new face, I think has moved on up a bit and maybe now an Audi man!

loonymoon

Oh dear.... I visited my parents over Christmas and they have just bought a brand new mini cooper (5Dr). Have to admit it's a lovely car and I have a big soft spot for minis as my first car was a 1988 Mini city E. I realise the new car is not a "proper" mini but it's still got character, still seems fun to drive and has a really nice quirky and high quality interior.

On the drive home I was very happy with my Ibiza, she's done me VERY well, the 1.2 (105) TSI is still an amazing engine and I'm sure I'd get more for my money with a new ibiza... but.... I may have a look at nearly new mini coopers' (I'd go 3 dr as the newer ones have slighlty less of a ridiculously small boot as they added some 56 litres to them.. still small but "doable") vs the new ibiza when the new model comes out :-O

Oh dear...!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.