EGR Delete suggestions

anthony-b

Dec 10, 2016
Hi All,
I got the dredded EGR problem with my 2012 Leon 1.6 TDI CR, and now i am looking for an EGR delete/blank. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to get?
I have a CAYC engine.

Also on another note, how can i tell if my mirrors are auto folding? They seem to be really hard to put in but ive heard that there is an auto folding mirror version but ive not seen anything to validate this.

TIA

Ant

Last edited:

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
My 2012 1.6 TDI has the auto fold mirrors, either turn the adjuster to 6oclock inside or long press the lock button on the key.

Not sure on the EGR delete luckily I've not come across this yet!

anthony-b

Dec 10, 2016
Thanks CRNeo, when i long press the lock button any windows that are open are automatically shut but thats it. I also dont have a 6 oclock position on my mirror knob only a 10, 12 and 2 oclock positions. So i guess i dont have them :(

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Yeah doesnt sound like you have the auto folding mirrors unfortunately.

Darkside developments might do an EGR delete for you

anthony-b

Dec 10, 2016
Thanks Daniel_M
I had a look at Darkside and they do one, so thanks.
They look a pit of a pain to install as its an engine out job but oh well, here goes...

anthony-b

Dec 10, 2016
Well thats worse case. The EGR is located at the back of the engine just under the turbo but in a way where its very hard to get to because there are all sorts of things in the way including the DPF. But ive found that all i may need to do is blank off the pipe that goes to the EGR after the engine and use a EGR simulator. That way its a half hour job max.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Um, have you seen this on Darksides EGR delete page?

"The EGR Valve should NOT be removed on vehicles that still have the DPF Filter in place, doing so may block the DPF as the EGR Valve operation is a prerequisite for DPF Regeneration."

anthony-b

Dec 10, 2016
Ah thanks for pointing that out Legojon, no i didnt see it. I just had a look at this page and it didnt have that on (search this product code): DSD1657 (i cant post URLs yet)
Where did you see this text?
Ive heard that the other way to do it is turn the EGR throughput down using VAGCom to such a point where it doesnt make any difference. Is this a suggested way?
Im running out of ideas and i cant afford the money to get the EGR and DFP out as well as it remapping just yet.

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/egr-removal-delete/

Scroll down to the "please note" bit at the bottom. I'm pretty much in a similar situation. Currently having issues with the car. Garage have suggested it "might" be EGR... quoted £720 to replace EGR and clean intake manifold. If I was 100% sure this would work, I'd have it booked it now.

So my other option is the EGR delete... but I still have the DPF. And a recent Revo Stage 1. So it'd mean chucking away the remap money and getting another map. You can turn it down in VCDs. But from what I gather, once its clogged, its clogged. And on the CRs its a pain to get to, so I can't get anyone to attempt to clean it for me.

Mines a 2012 2.0 TDI... how many miles you got on yours out of curiousity? I've just hit 39k.

anthony-b

Dec 10, 2016
ive got about 65k, my garage told me that on my car it has an EGR with plastic gears and its most likely that they have worn preventing it from opening which technically means that the EGR is bypassing itself but its in permanent limp mode with an EML code of P0407. so if the EGR is bypassing itself then maybe all i need is the simulator to fool the ECU into thinking its working when the command gets sent.

About the regen, isnt the process just that the car runs at higher revs for a long period of time to burn any soot in the DPF?
I may be wrong though, its a massive learning experience and far more complex than my previous 1.4 petrol megane.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Don't quote me on this lol... but its summat like when the DPF regens, it uses the hotter exhaust gases from the EGR to increase the exhaust temperature so theres more chance of the passive regeneration being successful. So without the help of the EGR, the exhaust temperature wouldn't be as hot.

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
Just an observation.

Are company's still offering this service ? I'd read or heard somewhere that it was now illegal to remove emissions safety devices and will fail an m.o.t, plus there's a fine if you get caught

Truth or Internet myth?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
True it's technically illegal to remove the DPF... That's why most open it up, gut the insides and weld it back up (on the top where you can't see it) re-map and as long as it still passes emissions the checks for DPF is a visual only check currently.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
Apparently there upping the testing at M.o.T with a soot test to catch out the gutted/modified ones . £1000 fine and an unroadworthy car