On a scale of 1-10 how annoyed should I be about this (wheel related)

lazybill

Jul 10, 2016
I'll try to keep this short.

So my tyre pressure, front right, light came on Monday evening on the drive home, checked it and it was 27psi when i parked up up home.

Tuesday morning, it was flat as a pancake. I pumped it up and went to see my local Seat (Arnold Clark) dealer.

They told me they do repair punctures for free so I thought result. This is when the nightmare started. So i'm waiting for about an hour and i'm then informed they have checked the tyre and there is no puncture they can find. I'm stunned at this information and request to speak to whoever was checking it. The workshop manager comes out and assures me that 3 different technicians have checked it and they can't find it. We have a lengthy discussion about this with the conclusion being bring it back if it happens again.

So Weds comes round and of course its flat again. So off i trot back to the garage. Everyone makes mistakes so no big deal at this point. Another long wait then the same manager tells me they have found the puncture this time, he personally supervised the process and it turned out the 'technicians' had been spinning it too fast in the tyre bath and missing the tiniest of pinholes :rofl:. Ok no harm done, tyre fixed and i'm good to go. So I drive to work and when I arrive i think dammit I should have checked the wheel properly before I left. So i start to look closely and find the wheel they have worked on is now showing multiple surface scratches which weren't there before. I've called back and emailed pics absolutely seething and they tell me the top manager will get in touch soon as he is back from hols.

2 questions if you read this far [B)]
1. Am I overreacting? The Cupra Black wheels are no doubt prone to scratching...
2. What should the dealer be doing about this?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If it bothers you then no amount of people telling you it shouldn't will change your mind. I've changed an alloy (my fault) for less than that!

As for the second question... I don't know enough about alloys to know if that can be repaired. Don't let it go, see what they offer to make it right. If they can't, I'd want the wheel replacing.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
1. No, you're not over-reacting at all. I'd be equally irritated. They should have done the job right in the first place.

2. They need to get a detailer to come and polish the scratches out, at your convenience/home/place of work. Why should you be further inconvenienced? They should be apologising and sorting it. That's what Lexus would do without hesitation and that's why they have the reputation they have, as opposed to some of the Seat dealers without that good reputation. Don't stand for any nonsense/excuses mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
yes you should be annoyed

it could be repaired or replaced but its the dealers choice as long as its back to original condition

although they may argue that you have done it then blamed them

hope all gets sorted out

golfhappy

Sep 1, 2015
Scotland
1st mistake Arnold Clark don't have technicians!!! they do car sales!!! if you ever buy a car cheaply from them remove the hideous yellow sticker from the rear screen and secondly change the number plates.

Think i read somewhere Nicola Sturgeon is his grandaughter........need i say more!

Last edited:

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
they ought to sort it for you - their fault. But they may say "prove it was us". Which or course would be difficult, unless it's obviously impossible to mark in that way while fitted.

lazybill

Jul 10, 2016
1st mistake Arnold Clark don't have technicians!!! they do car sales!!! if you ever buy a car cheaply from them remove the hideous yellow sticker from the rear screen and secondly change the number plates.

Think i read somewhere Nicola Sturgeon is his grandaughter........need i say more!

Yeah I would never buy a car from them to be honest. My thinking was its a new car and they are the only Seat dealer anywhere near me, a simple puncture repair shouldn't be too taxing surely :rofl:

They would literally have no chance of saying it wasnt them, I have pics of the wheel on the day it went flat and when I parked up at their premises. Not to mention the other 3 wheels do not exhibit these scratches.

The manager returns to work on Weds so i'll have an update next week :censored:

Last edited:

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
They've clearly laid the wheel face down or caught the spoke face with a tyre lever - I'd be feckin livid.
I'm angry enough that after one week of ownership my wife managed to put a 1" curb mark in the N/S front BE wheel.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
What? But she's claiming she can fix everything...

she wants several attempts too :p
To the OP - yes, you have every right to be annoyed. Diamond cut wheels are not cheap to repair. First move would be to contact the Service Manager and explain the situation. His response will then guide your further actions. Good luck.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
she wants several attempts too :p
To the OP - yes, you have every right to be annoyed. Diamond cut wheels are not cheap to repair. First move would be to contact the Service Manager and explain the situation. His response will then guide your further actions. Good luck.

Do what kazzand says, but if they say it was not them, you will have a hard job proving it after removing the car from the garage and not agreeing with the technician when first in that the car had no defects, as they could argue it either was there before they took the car or done after you took it away, good luck.

LeonFRTDi

MrGadget
Jan 29, 2005
Northsostishire

AM loving this...
Cant stand that Company & there HUGE YELLOW REAR WINDOW STICKERS...
:lol:

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
It's very simple:

When service is given , in what ever field , no damage should be done.
It's as simple as that.

If you can't handle a rim without scratching it? ****ing plastidipp t it before or wrap it in cotton or bubble wrap. I don't CARE.

Seems times are changing and people are becoming less and less professional and also seem to make a "so what?" out of it. Now for the scratches at hand: You can do 10 times worse by 1 wrong move while parking next to a side walk...

LiamCupra290

Mar 11, 2016
If that was my alloy there would be absolute hell to pay. To be honest if your alloys were brand new I'd be demanding they give me a new alloy. If you keep your car immaculate you expect people working on your car to do so too.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I'd be super pissed off, I've had a similar thing so know how you feel.
What gets me, is like every car now pretty much comes with alloy wheels as standard for weight saving and unlike even a few years back, 18 and 19 inch alloys are pretty common, so why the f**k can't these monkeys fit tyres with out damaging the wheel rims.
Ffs, most of the places that do it, only do tyres and maybe a few other bits so you would think they should be able to fit a tyre without damaging the rim, even a monkey can be trained to do something correctly If you show it enough times or are these tyre fitters really dumber than monkeys [:@]

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Unfortunately too many places use cheap tyre changing machines that aren't really fit for purpose, insecure arms, too little protection on parts that touch wheels etc, "free puncture repairs" don't make the service dept money so are done as quickly as possible, often by an apprentice, who is expected to have it done in the blink of an eye, this why the service is crap. Be warned.

lazybill

Jul 10, 2016
Just to keep everyone updated on this, the service manager got in touch with the following

'Hi ......has passed on your pictures and I must firstly apologise for your inconvenience. I would like to see the wheel if its ok with yourself to see if it can be polished out, if not I will send the wheel away to be repaired. The company I use don't seem to be opened so I would suggest that it is left until after the new year and I will deal with it.

any issues please do not hesitate to call me.'

So I've responded saying I'll be in touch in the new year. If it can be polished out or repaired then fine but my hopes aren't high based on the staggering incompetence I've faced so far. Id also expect some sort of compensation for the inconvenience caused to date. I'll update when I go see him

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.