Rear axle independent or not? Leon 1.2 Tsi

Martynm14

Oct 19, 2014
Hi guys, as the thread title says, is my car rear axel independent or not? Noone can give me a solid answer, not even seat dealers... So if anyone know that would be great, need my car lowered ASAP! Cheers

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Only MK3 Leon's with over 150bhp have the independent rear end, so no for a 1.2tsi sorry.

Now that the 1.8 Tsi is no longer avaiable following the facelift there are no petrol models, except the Cupra, which have independent rear suspension. You can still get it on the 184 Tdi diesel FR. I do think that the 1.4 FR should have it.
As I've reported in another thread, this is one reason why after 12 years of driving SEAT Leon FR's I've now ordered a VW Golf 1.4 ACT 150 DSG GT Edition. The Golf 1.4 does have independent rear suspension and as I got a good deal wasn't as expensive as it could have been especially when you consider it comes with sunroof, 18 inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, front and rear parking sensors etc. I will miss my 1.8 FR but now looking forward to getting my new Golf in March.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi guys, as the thread title says, is my car rear axel independent or not? Noone can give me a solid answer, not even seat dealers... So if anyone know that would be great, need my car lowered ASAP! Cheers

Have a look at the rear caliper.

If the caliper is ABOVE the centre of the wheel - it is a beam axle

If the caliper is IN LINE with the centre of the wheel - it is independent

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Have a look at the rear caliper.

If the caliper is ABOVE the centre of the wheel - it is a beam axle

If the caliper is IN LINE with the centre of the wheel - it is independent

Or just look from behind!

page3

Dec 25, 2015
I took a 1.4 (without) and a 1.8 (with) out back to back and couldn't the tell any difference.

My Audi has independent suspension and all it seems to add is expense every time it goes out of alignment, which is often on UK roads.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me either way.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
... When pushing the car feels more settled especially over the bumps.
Spot on, that's when the difference really shows. Wheel size plays a part too. The car starts to feel unsettled significantly earlier on 18's compared to 17's.

Even quite small bumps mid corner can unsettle the torsion beam suspension when it's heavily loaded. The rear starts to lose composure, feeling floaty at first and then stops tracking properly, although you'll need to be trying fairly hard to get to that point.

In everyday driving it's essentially irrelevant.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Top man appreciate the help on a throwback subject!
Yes, so on the Leon you need 'more than' 150 - so 180tsi/184tdi/Cupra
On the Golf you need 'as least' 150 - so 150tsi or 150tdi also get independent rear suspension.

There are however many more differences on the higher power versions like brake disc sizes, larger damper diameters, alloy front knuckle, clutch strength etc.. so although the 150 golf has independent suspension - it DOESN'T get the other upgrades - brake disc sizes, larger damper diameters, alloy front knuckle, clutch strength etc.. like the GTD or 184FR.

Reactions: Twizzah
Jan 28, 2020
Yes, so on the Leon you need 'more than' 150 - so 180tsi/184tdi/Cupra
On the Golf you need 'as least' 150 - so 150tsi or 150tdi also get independent rear suspension.

There are however many more differences on the higher power versions like brake disc sizes, larger damper diameters, alloy front knuckle, clutch strength etc.. so although the 150 golf has independent suspension - it DOESN'T get the other upgrades - brake disc sizes, larger damper diameters, alloy front knuckle, clutch strength etc.. like the GTD or 184FR.
Okay cool man cheers for the extra details does help get a better understanding!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members