Media in cable with iphone

cfdave

Dec 31, 2016
South Wales
Hi. I have a 2013 with sat nav, no DAB or not the full link obviously. But I was just wondering, would there be any advantage to me buying a media in cable with a lightning connector for my iPhone? Or is it just the same as connection over Bluetooth? And would it be the same as a media in to USB cable, then just plugging my normal lighting cable to it? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fastnfat

Dec 4, 2010
Birmingham
Hi. I have a 2013 with sat nav, no DAB or not the full link obviously. But I was just wondering, would there be any advantage to me buying a media in cable with a lightning connector for my iPhone? Or is it just the same as connection over Bluetooth? And would it be the same as a media in to USB cable, then just plugging my normal lighting cable to it? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you everyone.

The advantage with the media/lightning cable is you would be able to operate the phone via the steering wheel controls. Also, some say that if you can get hold of an Audi version(think it has a red collar)you can play video through the infotainment system. Not tried it myself by the way.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
the red cable also imports the album covers to the head unit (as well as playing video while stationary)

cfdave

Dec 31, 2016
South Wales
Well that's a feature I didn't expect. Is it only stored videos and album covers or will it play YouTube videos or Spotify album covers?
Thank you by the way. This is really helpful.

fabiavrs2004

Sep 11, 2015
Bristol
I've got a tech pack, I've tried getting a video on the screen and got just got audio. Is there any way you can get video

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Update for you, you can play certain video formats from older Apple devices (I use an old iPod 5g) it can be a bit fiddly to get working though. I'm unsure about the lighting connection. I'm not an Apple 'native' as my phones are Android.

I have a spare 'old style' apple cable for the system if you want it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

IndyFR

Sep 29, 2016
Update for you, you can play certain video formats from older Apple devices (I use an old iPod 5g) it can be a bit fiddly to get working though. I'm unsure about the lighting connection. I'm not an Apple 'native' as my phones are Android.

I have a spare 'old style' apple cable for the system if you want it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Oh that's sound then thanks for the reply and I have got a spare cable cheers mate

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.