Modified FR+ vs Cupra R

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've got a feeling I know what the response is going to be :D but... I've spent a load of time n money on my FR+. But today I lost my senses for a second and almost bought a 2010 White Cupra R with 21k on the clock! But now I've got my mind set on a Cupra R!

So my question is... my FR+ has Superpro Antilift Kit, Poly bushes, H&R springs, Poly mount insert (Vibra-Technics), H&R Antiroll kit. If I switch to an unmodified Cupra R, will I regret it handling wise? Also... for those of you that own a MK2 Cupra R, when I'm not completely broke from buying it, what would be the essential things you would upgrade? (Aside from remap).

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I've got a feeling I know what the response is going to be :D but... I've spent a load of time n money on my FR+. But today I lost my senses for a second and almost bought a 2010 White Cupra R with 21k on the clock! But now I've got my mind set on a Cupra R!

So my question is... my FR+ has Superpro Antilift Kit, Poly bushes, H&R springs, Poly mount insert (Vibra-Technics), H&R Antiroll kit. If I switch to an unmodified Cupra R, will I regret it handling wise? Also... for those of you that own a MK2 Cupra R, when I'm not completely broke from buying it, what would be the essential things you would upgrade? (Aside from remap).

cannot comment on mods to an R, but try to buy the latest you can afford, as the newer ones came with all the toys. If we'd kept it, the minimum would have been a cat back exhaust and an intake. Possibly a cheeky remap too, but not too severe as it was the wife's daily.
Do it!!! :D

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'm so excited... theres a fair chance this may be happening.... I've been offered a deal on a blue 2011 with 33k cause I missed the white one. Its already got H&R springs, spacers and a Miltek cat back exhaust!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Really dumb question... why do cars keep getting these on MOT advisories?

Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Pros: The R doesn't look like a 90 bhp family hatch (provided you only ever look at it from behind)
Cons: Flat bottomed steering wheel means you can't drive using your knees

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I'm so excited... theres a fair chance this may be happening.... I've been offered a deal on a blue 2011 with 33k cause I missed the white one. Its already got H&R springs, spacers and a Miltek cat back exhaust!
speed blue? Best colour !! ;)

Pros: The R doesn't look like a 90 bhp family hatch (provided you only ever look at it from behind)
:rofl:

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

I like the fact that even with my FR in red n black, it didn't get a second look at nights alone in car parks. Yuths would gather round Audi A4s and anything Ford with a stripe down it, but just walk past mine. I kind of hope that carries across.

I don't know what it is with Seat and their grey plastic steering wheels... but I just wish they'd do it full leather all the way round!

speed blue? Best colour !! ;)

Dunno... is this speed blue? Just wish the alloys were black :( Did you have yours sprayed or is that an option?
QgXzQHE.png

izoJzfj.png

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I like the fact that even with my FR in red n black, it didn't get a second look at nights alone in car parks. Yuths would gather round Audi A4s and anything Ford with a stripe down it, but just walk past mine. I kind of hope that carries across.

I don't know what it is with Seat and their grey plastic steering wheels... but I just wish they'd do it full leather all the way round!

Dunno... is this speed blue? Just wish the alloys were black :( Did you have yours sprayed or is that an option?
Cupra_zpsudeznxqi.png

CupraRear_zpslx79kjms.png

looks very much like speed blue. Only option with wheels at the time was silver or white (62 plate) so , as part of the deal, got dealer to do them in black. Didn't realise they were painted at the time, it wasn't a very good job so had them powder coated after 12 months.
Still miss that car tbh. Yes , you do get boy racers trying it on, but out in the open, good road, wha hey!!! ;) just disconnect the fake sound thing. Go on... Do it!!!
P.s the plastic bottom of the steering wheel IS crap :cry:

killbot

Aug 29, 2012
Warrington, Cheshire
I recently upgraded from my ibiza cupra TDI to a 2011 mk2 cupra in speed blue with a stage2+ map. Tbh I really don't think the cupra r is worth the extra premium they demand. Both cars remap to the same power and have all the same mechanical components, just slightly different aestetics on the R.

That being said you really won't regret your decision. My leon is ridiculously fast and actually a bit more playful with the lift off oversteer compared to my ibiza, which i'm sure you already know about.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort

That is a bugbear of mine on my Cupra R. It is not just SEAT though, my RS4 had a gorgeous interior, spoilt only by a crappy piece of plastic on the flat-bottomed steering wheel. I may be old school, but I much prefer round steering wheels.

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
my RS4 had a gorgeous interior, spoilt only by a crappy piece of plastic on the flat-bottomed steering wheel

I read in the sales pitch before I bought the FR+ that it included sporty looking silver trim (mirrors, steering wheel, etc). I recall thinking when I saw it... since when did anyone associate grey plastic with a car going faster?

At the moment looking at Revo maps for the Cupra R :D. But I just paid for the FR+ Revo Stage 1 about 6 weeks ago... grrrrr... but anyways. Trying to decide whether to go Stage 1 and save. Or cold air intake and straight to Stage 2.

Oh... to save me a quick search, does anyone know if the sidelights and drls are the same as the FR+? Cause I've just been out and "retrieved" all my LED bulbs (6 months old).

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
I read in the sales pitch before I bought the FR+ that it included sporty looking silver trim (mirrors, steering wheel, etc). I recall thinking when I saw it... since when did anyone associate grey plastic with a car going faster?

At the moment looking at Revo maps for the Cupra R :D. But I just paid for the FR+ Revo Stage 1 about 6 weeks ago... grrrrr... but anyways. Trying to decide whether to go Stage 1 and save. Or cold air intake and straight to Stage 2.

Oh... to save me a quick search, does anyone know if the sidelights and drls are the same as the FR+? Cause I've just been out and "retrieved" all my LED bulbs (6 months old).

did your FR + have xenons ? If so the LED's should be the same. Be aware though, the newer the car, the more 'fussy' the canbus is!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Brilliant, cheers. Yeah it had the xenon lights. Well, I've put the normal yellow bulbs back in and they look hideous. A good reminder of how much more I love the LED bulbs. My FR always threw up errors if it was cold or raining. So I brainwashed myself so that when the warning light is on instead of "check bulbs" it means "your super cool looking LEDs are working". And now it doesn't bother me. Also helps at work I park in front of a plate glass window so I know all my lights are actually working.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2012
Gateshead
Take all your mods off your FR and put them on your new LCR! They should fit (I think ....happy to be corrected)

Buy privately! There somes cracking deals to be had on these cars now the newer 280 has come down in price, buying from a dealer will come with at least a £2k premium,a personal loan might be cheaper aswell.

There's always good cars around,highly modified aswell from £11k-£12k

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
My fingers are cut to shreds at the moment trying to remove as much as I can (mostly in the dark after work). Trub is, I don't know if eg a H&R antiroll bar is better or worse than a stock Cupra R roll bar. On the FR I just upgraded everything. But I would have thought the Cupra would have better performance parts.

Theres a 99% chance the Blue Cupra R pictured above will be mine by 9 o'clock tomorrow. I've paid a deposit on it, but don't take anything as done until I'm sitting in it.

Don't suppose anyone knows if the Cupra R intercooler is enough for Stage 2? Revo website says uprated intercooler (which it is over the Cupra I thought). Then all I'd need to add is an air intake.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Oh... and does the TripleR FR splitter I have fit the Cupra R? It looks the same! I'd have to spray it black of course!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.