Tyre wear advice needed please

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Hi All,

Getting my front tyres changed tomorrow due to being low and someone just mentioned to me to check for uneven wear because the car has only done 13000 miles, so I just went and checked a front tyre and on the outside it is basically on the limit but on the inside it has probably an extra 3-5mm.....I then checked the other front tyre and it is the same, then the confusing bit I checked the rear 2 and they are pretty much the same more wear on outside and less on the inside but they arent near the limit yet.

Does anyone know what this could be? Could it just generally be the car? Be the tyres?

FYI, I have a 65 plate 184 DSG

Thanks is advance

strell

Nov 30, 2016
I think 13k on a set of fronts is what is expected to be honest.

But if you get the alignment checked when the new tyres are fitted they can check if that may be the cause for the uneven wear

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hi All,

Getting my front tyres changed tomorrow due to being low and someone just mentioned to me to check for uneven wear because the car has only done 13000 miles, so I just went and checked a front tyre and on the outside it is basically on the limit but on the inside it has probably an extra 3-5mm.....I then checked the other front tyre and it is the same, then the confusing bit I checked the rear 2 and they are pretty much the same more wear on outside and less on the inside but they arent near the limit yet.

Does anyone know what this could be? Could it just generally be the car? Be the tyres?

Thanks is advance

I had the 150 TDI DSG version, Had Bridgestone Turranza ER300s 205/55 R16 @ 10k miles, fronts had 5mm, rears 7mm left. And I do corner quite fast at times. I didn't get what you have... had equal wear on the tyre...do you keep on top of your tye pressures? Or do you have the 18inch 225/40 tyres? Any 'strange' low mpg readings? I'm guessing yours should do between 35 (not so light traffic) -45mpg (light traffic) in city, and about 50-60mpg out of town.

If not tyre pressure, maybe you hit something, and has got them out of allignment? Tyres toe-ing in?

Last edited:

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Yeah I have the 225/40 R18 tyres and there are currently Bridgestone Potenza S001 on all 4, pumped up to specification, off the top of my head 42psi on front and 36psi on rears (i think, cant remember what it said) then I set the pressure sensor so that should tell me if they lost pressure etc (they have been pumped up to this for about 1 and half months from today.

I have only owned the car for 2 and half months and put 4500 miles on the clock.

MPG wise your pretty much spot on, which I believe is correct for this car.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yeah I have the 225/40 R18 tyres and there are currently Bridgestone Potenza S001 on all 4, pumped up to specification, off the top of my head 42psi on front and 36psi on rears (i think, cant remember what it said) then I set the pressure sensor so that should tell me if they lost pressure etc (they have been pumped up to this for about 1 and half months from today.

I have only owned the car for 2 and half months and put 4500 miles on the clock.

Maybe previous owner took it for a track day? I guess your best bet is to change the tyres (you only changing fronts?) and see if it happens again. Also on a straight empty road, let go of the wheel for 3 secs or so, see if it pulls to the right or left. Of course, don't crash into any anyone/any other car.

Can't comment on tyre pressure as mine was 55 profile and recommended pressure was 32/29. My current car (also Seat) have 40 profile tyres 215/40 R17, and recommended is 38/35 on regular setting and 33/30 for 'Comfort' setting.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Maybe but I doubt it as it was a SEAT head office owned car, I hope they haven't anyway.
Yeah just changing fronts as they are on the limit (Changing to Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2).

I shall try that on my commute home tonight of the dual carriage way.....of course without causing danger to anyone or myself!!! If it is pulling to one side what would this point out that there is an issue with tracking or something else?

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex

Don't know about the 184 but that does sound like quite high tyresolution pressures? I've a 1.4 from with 18's and run 31 all round.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Maybe but I doubt it as it was a SEAT head office owned car, I hope they haven't anyway.
Yeah just changing fronts as they are on the limit (Changing to Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2).

I shall try that on my commute home tonight of the dual carriage way.....of course without causing danger to anyone or myself!!! If it is pulling to one side what would this point out that there is an issue with tracking or something else?

I'm not sure the terminology, but it shouldn't pull to the right or left :blink: If it does, do have it checked.

Did Seat say anything when you mentioned the uneven wear (supported by pics?). Besides the track-day theory, I'm out of ideas (maybe someone else has?), as you mentioned, only the ouside part of the tyre (front and rears) is worn much more than the inner parts. Well heavy sustained cornering does do that, inc rears. Saying that I did made a fool of myself checking tread once, because i had taking the readings on-top of the wear indicators on 1 tyre (which is at 1.8mm I believe on the inner part as i couldn't see, and outer part not on the wear indicator, as as expected, a 2 mm difference :confused: was confused and shocked...

If underinflated, it would be outer and inner edges worn, middle part, less worn, overinflated, middle worn, edges less so. If out of allignment, this could also happen, but all 4 wheels must be out of allignment toeing in, if the edges are worn, and you will probably see very poor mpg.

Of course this is just my opinion..

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Don't know about the 184 but that does sound like quite high tyresolution pressures? I've a 1.4 from with 18's and run 31 all round.

184 DSG with 2.0 up front is heavier though (is it a ST?), but I was expecting something along the lines of low to mid 30s as 'recommended pressures'

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

Out of curiosity, how much thread is left on the rears? I know it's your car, and you put the new tyres however / wherever you like, however most tyre places recommend you put the new tyres on the rears, and bring the rears to the front, unless you have quite a lot of grip left on the rears. This is because it's easier to handle a front end slide than a rear end slide if and when the grip goes, either through puncture or other factors.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
I'm not sure the terminology, but it shouldn't pull to the right or left :blink: If it does, do have it checked.

Did Seat say anything when you mentioned the uneven wear (supported by pics?). Besides the track-day theory, I'm out of ideas (maybe someone else has?), as you mentioned, only the ouside part of the tyre (front and rears) is worn much more than the inner parts. Well heavy sustained cornering does do that, inc rears. Saying that I did made a fool of myself checking tread once, because i had taking the readings on-top of the wear indicators on 1 tyre (which is at 1.8mm I believe on the inner part as i couldn't see, and outer part not on the wear indicator, as as expected, a 2 mm difference :confused: was confused and shocked...

If underinflated, it would be outer and inner edges worn, middle part, less worn, overinflated, middle worn, edges less so. If out of allignment, this could also happen, but all 4 wheels must be out of allignment toeing in, if the edges are worn, and you will probably see very poor mpg.

Of course this is just my opinion..

I havn't said anything to Seat about it yet plus im not taking the car to them to get the tyres as the tyres were £30 more per tyre and that was the lowest they could do unfortunately.

Guess Ill take some photos for possible future reference and see how I get on later to see if the car is pulling.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Out of curiosity, how much thread is left on the rears? I know it's your car, and you put the new tyres however / wherever you like, however most tyre places recommend you put the new tyres on the rears, and bring the rears to the front, unless you have quite a lot of grip left on the rears. This is because it's easier to handle a front end slide than a rear end slide if and when the grip goes, either through puncture or other factors.

Theres probably a good 3-5mm left at a guess on the rears.
I never knew this fact though and now can see it does make sense

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi All,

Thanks is advance

Has the garage at some point moved the front tyres (wheels) to the back and the backs to the front?
That might explain it, as unusual to have what you described on both axes at the same time.
Sometimes a garage will do this, one to put the tyres with the most tread on the driving wheels and two so they all wear out at the same time so you have a matched set of new tyres on both axes when they change them.
As fronts all ways wear faster -fwd- it's not unusual to have replaced the fronts 2 or 3 times before the backs ever get replaced so it makes sense, especially if a car does low yearly mileage.

Last edited:

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Has the garage at some point moved the front tyres (wheels) to the back and the backs to the front?
That might explain it, as unusual to have what you described on both axes at the same time.
Sometimes a garage will do this, one to put the tyres with the most tread on the driving wheels and two so they all wear out at the same time so you have a matched set of new tyres on both axes when they change them.
As fronts all ways wear faster -fwd- it's not unusual to have replaced the fronts 2 or 3 times before the backs ever get replaced so it makes sense, especially if a car does low yearly mileage.

I would have to check with the garage on this one as it does seem a bit odd they all have the same kind of wear.

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
Can you send a picture so we all know how exactly the wear looks like??

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Yes sure here is a photo (best i could get) of my front left tyre and its the same wear for the from right basically

Left side of photo is inside of tyre - Right side of photo is outside of tyre

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
13k miles shouldn't be able to do that to the front (and rear) tyres assuming they were rotated round as someone mentioned above, unless you have a Cupra...or a re-mapped 184 :lol:

I'm guessing you don't feel any harsh vibration/noise when driving etc?

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
13k miles shouldn't be able to do that to the front (and rear) tyres assuming they were rotated round as someone mentioned above, unless you have a Cupra...or a re-mapped 184 :lol:

I'm guessing you don't feel any harsh vibration/noise when driving etc?

I have read and people do complain about this particular tyre (Brigstone Potenza S001) wears quickly but its the un-even wear on all 4 tyres that baffles me unless theyve been rotated, think it may be one of those things I have just got to see what wear happens on my new tyres.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I have read and people do complain about this particular tyre (Brigstone Potenza S001) wears quickly but its the un-even wear on all 4 tyres that baffles me unless theyve been rotated, think it may be one of those things I have just got to see what wear happens on my new tyres.

I'd probably be inclined to ask then to do a 4 wheel alignment test to see if it needs 4 wheel alignment, rather than waiting to see if it wears your tyres.
If they have been swamped front to back will probably just be the front towing out, so a simple adjustment on the steering tie rods should be all it needs.
But a check on a decent 4 wheel alignment setup should reveal all and solve your mystery

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members