Seat Leon Hatchback 2.0 TSI Cupra Black 290 5dr

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
greetings.

looking at getting one of these on a lease as they are so cheap now and the bang for buck is unreal.

the family are getting bigger, the family Q5 diesel bus is getting tired and tired of lugging it around and to work.

weekend car is a Porsche 996 GT3 but its not viable to use every day anymore. pain in the arse too on UK roads and leaving it anywhere.

any comments on ownership and issues on the 290? drove one the other day and was very impressed.

would not mind putting a stage 1 chip on it if anyone knows the best options to go for tunning the 290?

thanks, DC

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
order placed.

290 black 5 door manual Cupra
dynamic grey
black trim
bucket seats
multi spoke 19 inch alloys.
12 week build so waiting game

looking forward to sth that is more fun, modern and nimble than the Q5 bus. its been a great servant, cheap to run and not much gone wrong for a near 9 year old car on 100k miles!!

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
early xmas pressie did not happen so will now get the 290 black manual early jan 2017.

shame as would have been a giggle but will be worth the wait and not much driving to be done over xmas/new year. will post up pics and review when I have it

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
more delays. car having PDI done but another 7-10 days before car can be delivered. very annoying as just want to get stuck in now.

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Shame about the delays, but then you don't really want to be slinging your new toy round on winter roads do you? ;)

I've had my 290 for a month now and am still being a little cautious to be honest. I'd hate to hit a patch of wet leaves and spoil everything. I know I made the right decision though as it just so enjoyable to drive. Also it doesn't look badass - some might not like that, but I treat it as a plus point, especially regarding your comment about not being able to park your Porche safely. It has a tiny little 290 badge and some nice red brakes but otherwise blends in. Perfect. You will not be disappointed. And just wait until you hear that exhaust note - much better than the 280!

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
true. I might get some winter tyres though for it.

only a week or so to wait and will be worth it.

as you say it looks like a fairly normal hatchback and not much to give it away apart from the wheels, brakes and exhaust. maybe the bucket seats but that is what I like about it.

itsmeagain

Aug 4, 2012
Birmingham
1696a8b4f6547c1965223681d0a77047.png

Here you go a simple remap will take it from 290ps to between 350-375ps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Which goes to show how easy it must have been for Seat to tweak an extra 10ps for the facelifted 2017 version. However, I can't help wondering what longterm damage the actual mechanics will take when you strap on a whole extra 85ps. Then there's the insurance issue. My current insurance is a bloody bargain but as soon as you start tinkering... well they don't like nonstandard stuff. Of course, if you just want to have two years of high-octane fun then you won't care but I can tell you one thing: I personally would never even consider buying a used remapped vehicle because you are possibly in for a world of pain.

Last edited:

Jacko_

Jan 4, 2017
Manchester
Lots of us went out and got the Cupra lease deal, for the money you really can't beat it. I'm considering a tuning box, but not till the weather has turned a bit - seems a little pointless at the moment.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
Lots of us went out and got the Cupra lease deal, for the money you really can't beat it. I'm considering a tuning box, but not till the weather has turned a bit - seems a little pointless at the moment.

i will get the car, put some miles on it then fit the tuning box to see what its like and let you know.

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
pick up day today and on way up. its just come out of the PDI centre near Cambridge. did not want to wait another week for ruddy delivery!!

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
What can I say...had 13 miles on it when I picked it up from the PDI centre.

Bright white and clean in the sun �� I had ordered dynamic grey which is like a dull white but that colour had expired. dealer apologised massively a few weeks back and has sent £750 rebate. result. its only a 2 year lease so can change out soon enough.

Its quick...really punchy and still running it in for 600 miles. still getting used to the modes of comfort, sport and Cupra. sport and then cupra makes the exhaust louder, suspension & steering harder and raises the power. Cupra is the highest setting.

Great quality and the price is bonkers for a £157 per month on the lease for a £32k car.

Loads of options from heated bucket seats with alcantara , folding mirrors, nav, USB, Bluetooth, really fast and close box, Slippy diff, Xenons and those follow the road lights etc. 19 inch rims on decent tyres, big brakes.

Basically a golf R but without the 4wd. Most come of the factory with near on 300 bhp

Got a tuning box for it which should take it to 340 bhp which should be hilarious!

Cold and slippy out there but it feels stable and grippy.

lots to learn about it and to enjoy but a cracking daily.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141191...posted-public/

Greydar

Jan 1, 2017
North Somerset UK
Sounds like a great deal. Glad you are enjoying it. White is a very good colour for the Leon Cupra. I found Sports setting a bit irrelevant except that with the DSG you can access fast mode well, quickly. Did ya get the big cupra seats as well?