Recently bought MK2 Leon - few questions!

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I've recently bought a 2007 MK2 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Stylance and I've got a few niggles. Unfortunately I don't have warranty from the garage I bought it from but I bought the car thinking it had been well looked after as it had hundreds of service, repair and MOT receipts.

My passenger rear door is a bit temperamental as sometimes it won't open but the other doors do.
The boot has locked shut and I'm not sure how to even manually open it from the inside. What trim do I take off?!
The car has now started squeaking whenever I go over speed humps or pot holes. What could this be?!
The engine has now started squealing, I know this could be a belt that has got dislodged or is worn.

What could anybody recommend for any of the above problems? I've spoken to the garage and they said that they can't do anything as I bought it without warranty but I've only just had it over a week!

I'm taking it to the garage for a full service and check up from the neck up on Saturday hopefully but wondered if anyone had a short term fix at all? Or if anyone had anything similar that I could go to the garage and maybe suggest what the issue is so that they don't waste too much time look for the problem.

I really would appreciate all of your help?

Thanks, Fran! :D

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Hi, I've recently bought a 2007 MK2 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Stylance and I've got a few niggles. Unfortunately I don't have warranty from the garage I bought it from but I bought the car thinking it had been well looked after as it had hundreds of service, repair and MOT receipts.

My passenger rear door is a bit temperamental as sometimes it won't open but the other doors do.
The boot has locked shut and I'm not sure how to even manually open it from the inside. What trim do I take off?!
The car has now started squeaking whenever I go over speed humps or pot holes. What could this be?!
The engine has now started squealing, I know this could be a belt that has got dislodged or is worn.

What could anybody recommend for any of the above problems? I've spoken to the garage and they said that they can't do anything as I bought it without warranty but I've only just had it over a week!

I'm taking it to the garage for a full service and check up from the neck up on Saturday hopefully but wondered if anyone had a short term fix at all? Or if anyone had anything similar that I could go to the garage and maybe suggest what the issue is so that they don't waste too much time look for the problem.

I really would appreciate all of your help?

Thanks, Fran! :D

Get it back to the garage and get them on it, or reject the car:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
I've contacted the garage but they have been sayng the entire time I bought the car as I saw it but from the several test drives and going to see it 4 times, none of these issues were a problem. Also, the wingmirrors are broken but I decided to ignore that as I really liked the car, and still do even though it's got these problems because it genuinely is lovely to drive!

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Rear door issue will be the control module - common fault and will need replacing.

Sounds like the boot lock mechanism has had it, but holding the middle button on the key fob should pop it open?

The squeaking over speed bumps could be a number of things like, top mounts, drop links, ball joints or engine mounts.

Squealing will more than likely be the aux belt or tensioner.

If you have bought the car within the last 28 days you're well within your rights to take it back.

mart.

Mar 25, 2016
Nottingham
I rang SEAT the other day for the rear door module..... £168 just for the part. Ive managed to source one for £30. So worth looking 2nd hand given the cost.

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
Rear door issue will be the control module - common fault and will need replacing.

Sounds like the boot lock mechanism has had it, but holding the middle button on the key fob should pop it open?

The squeaking over speed bumps could be a number of things like, top mounts, drop links, ball joints or engine mounts.

Squealing will more than likely be the aux belt or tensioner.

If you have bought the car within the last 28 days you're well within your rights to take it back.

That's brilliant thanks so much for your help.

I've got a cousin who is a mechanic who I'm going to take the car to because I don't trust the garage to fix it properly that I bought it from because it was meant to have had a 100 point check blah blah blah so I'm going to take it to my cousins garage and then send the garage that I bought it from the invoice so that they can pay for it.

thanks for your help!

edit: sorry forgot to add, I've tried the holding the boot button on keyfob but that doesn't work! :/ The boot just makes a whirring noise when I try to open in using the S badge. The boot button on keyfob hasn't done anything.

Last edited:

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
I rang SEAT the other day for the rear door module..... £168 just for the part. Ive managed to source one for £30. So worth looking 2nd hand given the cost.

brill where was that off of? ebay? I'll have a look.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
That's brilliant thanks so much for your help.

I've got a cousin who is a mechanic who I'm going to take the car to because I don't trust the garage to fix it properly that I bought it from because it was meant to have had a 100 point check blah blah blah so I'm going to take it to my cousins garage and then send the garage that I bought it from the invoice so that they can pay for it.

thanks for your help!

edit: sorry forgot to add, I've tried the holding the boot button on keyfob but that doesn't work! :/ The boot just makes a whirring noise when I try to open in using the S badge. The boot button on keyfob hasn't done anything.

Don't take it to anyone else to do anything! Get the garage you bought it from to sort it or demand your money back.

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
Update on the car. It's fixed! Ish... Boot was just the catch, got a replacement one for 25 quid and had it fitted and now the boot opens and shuts like a dream! The squeak disappeared when I WD40'd the drivers door hinge (that was squeaking like hell) so don't know what was happening there! Rear passenger door isn't opening when unlocked by the fob, but when opened from inside and then shut, it will open from outside so not sure if this is a solenoid. That's alright for the time being - don't really have the funds to do this just yet! The squealing was just a belt that slipped and it's all back in its right place now. I went back to the garage that I bought it from and part ex'd my car to, they said that they'd have a look at it etc, but in all honesty it was a bit of a back yard dealers and I wasn't comfortable with them looking at it etc because I was more than certain that they'd cut a few corners. Plus, the car that I part ex'd was due new a new clutch and they paid that bill and still gave me top price for the car. But so far all nearly all the problems are gone, and when the rear passenger door is fixed, the next item on the agenda is some new speakers cause the quality of the existing ones are questionable to say the least!
Thanks for all your help guys!

Uselesshippy

Apr 28, 2016
Hi there a few tips on here and you tube about fixing the door lock. I'd recommend cleaning the egr valve it'll probably be really bunged up with crud and fit a partial egr blank, the one with a 9mm hole in only a few quid.

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
Hi there a few tips on here and you tube about fixing the door lock. I'd recommend cleaning the egr valve it'll probably be really bunged up with crud and fit a partial egr blank, the one with a 9mm hole in only a few quid.

I know you're trying to help but you may as well be speaking Spanish! What does this mean in laymans terms? :D

Thanks!

Uselesshippy

Apr 28, 2016
I know you're trying to help but you may as well be speaking Spanish! What does this mean in laymans terms? :D

Thanks!
No worries these recycle exhaust gas into the engine. What it does is mix the gas with the fuel and air entering the intake manifold. The silver alloy thing at the top of the engine at the front. The egr regulates the amount of gas. But what happens is this gas is full of unburnt carbon think of the black crap billowing out of buses. This mixes with the diesel in the egr valve and the intake and creates a thick black paste which blocks them and that's when you get issues. I can't post pics so can't show you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
No worries these recycle exhaust gas into the engine. What it does is mix the gas with the fuel and air entering the intake manifold. The silver alloy thing at the top of the engine at the front. The egr regulates the amount of gas. But what happens is this gas is full of unburnt carbon think of the black crap billowing out of buses. This mixes with the diesel in the egr valve and the intake and creates a thick black paste which blocks them and that's when you get issues. I can't post pics so can't show you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oh that's brilliant thanks so much for explaining! :) I'll have a look and get this sorted ASAP.

Cheers, Fran

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise