Flickering interior light (with video)

chris2209

Apr 19, 2016
Just watched the link, yours are more disco than mine! mine just kind of glow slightly and fade up and down a bit

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Most small LEDs only need 20mA to run fairly bright. So, I suspect that the current running through them that creates the flickering can probably be measured in microAmps. You can easily get microAmps running through a droplet of condensation that shorts between contacts in a connector.

I suspect that when the weather is cold, the condensation may be from your breath or from melting frost on the inside of the car. If my hypothesis is correct, I would expect the flickering to stop after a while on a longer journey when the inside warms up.

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
NotApplicable, that's great info!

Accually, it starts after about 10-15 minutes of driving.. and gets more constant.

Maybe this is a common "problem" for other brands in VAG concern.

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Just to verify my previous statement, I investigated this. (How Sad!)

Those LEDs are getting around 50microamps. About the same current when you apply 12v across about 1cm of wet skin (I licked my finger).

If the LEDs are being driven by a control system, then an error in control system could be even smaller to cause the output to vary by that much.

Sounds like a design flaw you are just going to have to live with.

Reactions: Mr Pig

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
Just to verify my previous statement, I investigated this. (How Sad!)

Those LEDs are getting around 50microamps. About the same current when you apply 12v across about 1cm of wet skin (I licked my finger).

If the LEDs are being driven by a control system, then an error in control system could be even smaller to cause the output to vary by that much.

Sounds like a design flaw you are just going to have to live with.

Working as design, than! :D Know from my villa that LEDs are really sensitive with creeping current!

veno

I noticed same 2 days ago in the morning travelling to the dealer. Just before reaching the dealer they stopped doing this. 2 days after and they haven't done it. I think this is as somebody said due to condensation. I mentioned it to the dealer, they werent' aware of such issue. Dealer asked me if I changed to leds, I said - they are leds by default :) Noticed that when the auto start/stop is activated waiting on red light, they are off, though there is electricity because when I push the button they glow up, releasing the pedal and as the engine starts they started flashing again :)

Last edited:

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
That would annoy me no end, I shall be checking my car for this when I get it as it has the interior LED pack on it.

applz

Mar 19, 2012
Finland
Hi
On my ST FR I had the exact same problem from when I got the car (first of MY16). I was about to go crazy with the disco in the cold mornings until finally in September 2015 I brought it in for repairs and the fixture was changed. (Just needed to show a video). Apparently it had something to do with the glovebox light. When I hard pressed the glovebox shut the blinking stopped. The first swap didn't help and the dealer ended up disabling the glovebox light. In January 2016 it was a known issue at least here in Finland. So i got a new version of the fixture/console fitted. Since then no problems with blinking lights in any weather.

Reactions: Mr Pig

john doe

Sep 11, 2009
Got the same at the backseats in my car with LED lights.
I thought it was a bad connection between the light and connector.
That's the only place where it's flickering.
Everywhere else the light is normal. I've switched to LED lights all over in the car (interior).

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
Got the same at the backseats in my car with LED lights.
I thought it was a bad connection between the light and connector.
That's the only place where it's flickering.
Everywhere else the light is normal. I've switched to LED lights all over in the car (interior).

I think we have to draw a line between OEM LEDs and user installed LEDs. Mine is at the dealer today getting it fixed!

john doe

Sep 11, 2009
I think we have to draw a line between OEM LEDs and user installed LEDs. Mine is at the dealer today getting it fixed!

Yep, think so to.
Mine is user installed (aftermarket). But I'll have a go and see if there's a possibility that it's just the contact holding the lights together :)

Do you have OEM installed or is it aftermarket?

john doe

Sep 11, 2009
I bought it from Ledperf as well.
Although I didn't need the resistors to make it work.

@Jip, I think you pay like £50 (700SEK) for the interior LED pack when you buy it as an option.

Bassedout

Back to Blue with a Turbo
Feb 27, 2005
North Wales
My 2016 leon fr does this also and has been doing it for about a year and It has been to the dealer four times.

Recently they have changed the light panel in the roof and the problem was still there. This Friday they have done a software upgrade that is supposed to fix voltage discrepancies!!!! :confused: :think:

I just picked it up today and it has done it on the way home again. It is very intermittent and is doing my head in somewhat especially at night

Anyone had it is fixed permanently?

thanks
Phil

Last edited:

jip

Feb 5, 2016
Sweden
www.youtube.com
My 2016 leon fr does this also and has been doing it for about a year and It has been to the dealer four times.

Recently they have changed the light panel in the roof and the problem was still there. This Friday they have done a software upgrade that is supposed to fix voltage discrepancies!!!! :confused: :think:

I just picked it up today and it has done it on the way home again. It is very intermittent and is doing my head in somewhat especially at night

Anyone had it is fixed permanently?

thanks
Phil

Strange! Mine is still OK, 7 month after the replace!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.