There's nothing behind the left honeycomb side vent of my Cupra 290??

JL87

Jan 15, 2017
Hi guys,

Yesterday while I was washing my Cupra 290, I noticed that behind the left honeycomb grill on my front bumper (facing the front of the car) it is completely open. You can see the engine block, belts and pulleys. Is this normal or am I missing bits? It looks a bit weird.
I always thought that in those side vents would be channels for cooling the brakes? On the right side tho, there is a channel. But it seems to lead to nowhere! :D
I just see the engine block at the end of the channel.

Can Someone confirm if this is normal?

r200ti

Jan 1, 2017
hahah, yeh most cars are like that.
Nice big opening, ideal for cooling something or airflow through the arch. And its just opens into nothing.
From my understanding thats not great for cooling or aerodynamics (doubly so if you have a splitter).

That said i dont think running ducts into the arch is specifically for cooling, its more an aero aid in releasing the pressure in the arch. A by product of this is some cooling to the discs (due to the air flow). But to cool them properly you need to duct air directly into the hub.
Im suprised so many cars have these dummy vents into nothing, but then maybe the benefits of something more elaborate in a road car are just to small.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise