Cupra 280 - Getting ready to tune, your thoughts?

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Why?
Have a look at the JB1 thread on vw vortex it's a less advanced version. 1000s of happy customers. It's bigger in the US than it is here which is probably why you've not heard of them before.
They're massive on the BMW scene too.

Last edited:

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Why?
Have a look at the JB1 thread on vw vortex it's a less advanced version. 1000s of happy customers. It's bigger in the US than it is here which is probably why you've not heard of them before.
They're massive on the BMW scene too.

I have the jb1 fitted....certainly makes a big difference in performance over stock set up.

strell

Nov 30, 2016
They get really good feedback for the BMW platforms :)

Edit: missed the quote and already mentioned about. Very tempted to get one myself

Last edited:

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset

I'm not fussed about the entire exhaust as I am yet to here one that does anything but make the current one louder which I'm not interested in

I went for this combo:
VWR R600 Induction Kit
TurboTechnics Intake Pipe
Wagner Tuning Intercooler
APR downpipe (with sw upgrade)
Milltek EU approved cat and resonated pipework

It is quieter than stock for normal driving and is no louder when giving it the beans - it just sounds better (aka meaner, faster)

Last edited:

Deleted member 103593

There is a DTUK tuning box for sale in the classifieds at a good price ;)

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Close to 100bhp increase from a stg 1 tune... I'm impressed

I've got a dtuk box on my 280 lease. If I do keep the car I will definitely be going stage 1 with either revolution or apr. I didn't want to risk td1 flag while still under warranty or leased. If depreciation keeps on as is I suspect I may have a bargain at lease end when car is 3 yrs old. The car is such a great all rounder I can't see me wanting anything else for the money.

A little off topic, but your idea of a good value deal at the end of lease is very likely. I just handed back a Golf R at lease end..... 2 yrs old, 24k miles and was offered a buy out from VWFS at under £20k. I couldn't buy mine as I spent my spare cash earlier in the year on a weekend toy. Replaced the Golf with the current Leon and a DTUK box!

PCJunky

Sep 16, 2015
@AndrewJB

As someone who has tried both APR and REVO what lead you to go with APR?

Currently in terms of feed back a few people have told me to stick with stage one as stage 2 will affect day to day drivability, how have you found it?

Thanks A

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
For me, the turbo spool was a bit too noticeable coming from an NA sports car. Downpipe definitely fixed that and wide range of revs this car feels good at is much wider than turbos of old and almost as good as an NA. That improves driveability.

I'll be going JB1, mostly because I don't want to go overboard and want to be able to choose my level of boost myself. And don't want to pay the penalty nor the price of all folks who just want the maximum off everything. What can I say, I'm a engineer and have learned to love at least some margin of error ;)

In instead, I'll go for a nice shape with a nice top end, torque is plenty for a fwd, but I still miss that NA push at the very top.

My 2 pennies or whatever ;)

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
@AndrewJB

As someone who has tried both APR and REVO what lead you to go with APR?

Currently in terms of feed back a few people have told me to stick with stage one as stage 2 will affect day to day drivability, how have you found it?

Thanks A

Having done 15k miles on a stage 1 and around 2k on stage 2, I can safely say that the APR s2 sw does not impact driveability in any negative way. Stage 2 feels like a stage 1 but more like two stage 1s together.

Unless, you consider having to be more astute about your right foot a negative, that is. I can tootle along smoothly and queitly and get quite impressive mpg. If I can resist the temptations....

Last edited:

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
Regarding the options available in Sweden.
There's a few of us that have tried the JB1 with no bolt-ons and with bolt-ons (downpipe, intercooler).
A jb1 Cupra is rather quick 100-200 in the low 11s depending on equipment. Add a downpipe and you're looking at mid 10s 100-200. As the jb4 interferes with more connections and the reviews from the us states more power I guess a jb4 cupra with dp will be looking at high 9s 100-200.

The limiting factor is stock intercooler. Intake Temps rises and at around 180 you'll get a loss in acceleration. Although it's noticeable only when looking in the logs and comparing every 10km/h split time. With another intercooler you're gaining ca 1sek 200-230 vs stock cooler.

I won't recommend any tuner but I'd read through forums and Facebookgruops... there's one tuner that's bashing themselves for being the best but for some reason never quite accomplish with the performance in the real word (outside the Internet).. then there's more humble tuners with a low profile but still need to proof themselves..

I've tried JB1 with and without downpipe but finally this summer ordered software from North America as I wanted something from a big reputable tuner with proven gains rather than "facebook fanboy claims".. the results are astonishing and my car is faster 100-200 with just a downpipe, dsg tune and stage 2 software than a full bolt-on Stertman Cupra (most definitely lighter than mine aswell as I've every options available in my car).

Within a few weeks I'll add a forge intercooler and cts turbo inlet pipe. In the beginning of may there will be a new event at björkvik and I'll make new performance logs as well as some movies ala gt board.com

I think it's worth reading the comments for this video..
Garaget | Golf 6 R Stertman Motorsport steg 2, 5 vs Cupra 5f Jb1 Fbo
http://www.garaget.org/video/152229

Last edited:

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
As long as you're willing to take the risk, sure.

Just as an illustration, APR which has some of the highest outputs now also offers APR plus, which adds warranty to replace the factory drivetrain warranty. That stg 1 map on a Golf R is just 320hp and 320lbft. Which is quite telling when the risk is on their part.

Similar with Stertman. It is supposedly the best but they don't have the highest outputs so does that make them amateurs? Yet they make tuning for the road and don't claim to win (tuning) races, but merely better performance than stock wíth reliability. Reliability is hard to verify and is even for a professional hard to gage, so many variables and expectations. So the jury is out there, but for me, more or most power isn't necessarily equal to the best. E.g. MTM with relatively high power and warranty (if valid in your country), now that is something at least.

Personally I shy away from too much power and especially a lot of extra torque. It's torque that breaks engines in the long run, too much power usualy only falls away in excessive heat and hopefully the ecu kills the power then before you fry the turbo or something else...

Also more hardware for the same power makes for a safer more robust setup (unless the sw is a total mess of course) in my opinion.

Last edited:

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
And in that essence a jb1 / jb4 is for most people the way to go.
Great product, great price and as the Cupra is fwd the boost per gear with jb4 is a dream come true as most canned tunes doesn't have that function.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
Yep. But for anything except the standard JB1 in map 1, you need to be interested in reading up and do quite some DIY before you get good results. Best is stock ;)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members