Cupra 300 ST 4x4 ordered today

musli

Aug 12, 2015
Czech Republic, Prague
It's not a mechanical diff it's an electronic one using XDS to control the front and rear using a haldex centre differential. (A really good system none the less)

So I am surprised to see (if its true of course:) ) that Seat Cupra 4x4 will have not XDS on front but the same VAQ as the FWD CUPRA cars + haldex for RWD. Thats what I have in specification of the car in my agreement with dealer.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
Supposedly The Cupra300 ST should have the "old" Golf R 4WD en S3 setup.
That means NO electronically controlled mechanical diff lock at the front but only a normal diff with XDS.
But good that you have the mechanical diff lock in your contract so when this is true you could get out of it.

cs8

May 19, 2015
Dealer in Slovenia doesn't have any info about the car yet...

Are there any specs available online? I see that configurators don't have the new Cupra available and also 290 disappeared.

musli

Aug 12, 2015
Czech Republic, Prague
Finally got a feedback from the Seat and answer is no. The 4wd version doesnt have the VAQ, just XDS so its an old version of golf R but probably slightly faster. Delivery date for cupra here should be april.

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
Finally got a feedback from the Seat and answer is no. The 4wd version doesnt have the VAQ, just XDS so its an old version of golf R but probably slightly faster. Delivery date for cupra here should be april.

Just to clarify the mk7 golf R doesn't have a VAQ does it?

Did you mean the GTI PP/cupra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musli

Aug 12, 2015
Czech Republic, Prague
Just to clarify the mk7 golf R doesn't have a VAQ does it?

Did you mean the GTI PP/cupra?

Golf R doesnt have the VAQ, only XDS but I got in my agreement/specs for the ordered Cupra 4x4 info that it includes VAQ + 4x4 Haldex ... finally they`ve confirmed that it was a mistake and doesnt have VAQ in 4x4 setup.

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
Golf R doesnt have the VAQ, only XDS but I got in my agreement/specs for the ordered Cupra 4x4 info that it includes VAQ + 4x4 Haldex ... finally they`ve confirmed that it was a mistake and doesnt have VAQ in 4x4 setup.

Oh right.. Are you going on o complain or you not bothered

musli

Aug 12, 2015
Czech Republic, Prague
Oh right.. Are you going on o complain or you not bothered

Well, its in the agreement but the sales guy told me that it might not be there, he wasnt sure and we were waiting for the feedback from HQ. I do want the car so its not an issue. It would be nice surprise to have both VAQ + Haldex though but since they havent done it with much more expensive Golf R, it wasnt realistic expectation.

musli

Aug 12, 2015
Czech Republic, Prague
Just got info from dealer that the car has a confirmed production date so I cant add the peformance packet I was considering with delivery date in week 9. Quite a surprise as I thought that production will start end of February.

petrolpants

Dec 10, 2016
Found a car configurator on the german site! (linked on the first page of cupranet). http://konfigurator.seat.de/seat-cc/desktop-desktop-007_DEFAULT-de-normal.view?msk=1#carline

With google translate it's manageable.
Here are some thoughts:

New rims:
dcOV0t7.png

With the performance pack:
6eTFjPV.png

Side skirts seems to have gotten a black trim:
ccFvwed.png

Building the car exactly as my 290 st, and not adding any of the new Kessy features, 8" etc
It's pretty closte to exactly 7.000 euro more than list price for my 2016.
JRe1a8D.png

2016 conf:
Rsl2JWx.png

(39 631 EURO) (price in SEK)

Now it's up there with the premium price class cars.

Last edited:

mike_allison

Nov 25, 2008
Aberdeen, Scotland
Found a car configurator on the german site! (linked on the first page of cupranet). http://konfigurator.seat.de/seat-cc/desktop-desktop-007_DEFAULT-de-normal.view?msk=1#carline

With google translate it's manageable.
Here are some thoughts:

New rims:
dcOV0t7.png

With the performance pack:
6eTFjPV.png

Side skirts seems to have gotten a black trim:
ccFvwed.png

Building the car exactly as my 290 st, and not adding any of the new Kessy features, 8" etc
It's pretty closte to exactly 7.000 euro more than list price for my 2016.
JRe1a8D.png

2016 conf:
Rsl2JWx.png

(39 631 EURO) (price in SEK)

Now it's up there with the premium price class cars.

UK Configurator is up. No performance pack listed.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
It would be nice surprise to have both VAQ + Haldex though but since they havent done it with much more expensive Golf R, it wasnt realistic expectation.

The VAQ sits in the same place where the power take off would sit to the rear drive shaft, so they can't be combined as far as I know, unlike the A45 AMG.

Trettiosjuan

Jan 21, 2016
4wd has obvious traction advantages and will help standing start hard acceleration. But in ultimate traction in slippery conditions, the difference isn't as huge as you would think.

According to the manufacturer of both the VAQ and the 4wd Haldex system, Borg Warner, the VAQ (or FXD as they call it) is just as good in acceleration as Haldex in split friction situations where one side of the road is slippery. And the VAQ sits between fwd xds and haldex 4wd in accelerating times in very slippery conditions.

It's all here in detail:
https://vimeo.com/102644851

Don't underestimate VAQ, I'm perfectly pleased with it in Sweden and a set of good tyres...

Last edited:

petrolpants

Dec 10, 2016
4wd has obvious traction advantages and will help standing start hard acceleration. But in ultimate traction in slippery conditions, the difference isn't as huge as you would think.

According to the manufacturer of both the VAQ and the 4wd Haldex system, Borg Warner, the VAQ (or FXD as they call it) is just as good in acceleration as Haldex in split friction situations where one side of the road is slippery. And the VAQ sits between fwd xds and haldex 4wd in accelerating times in very slippery conditions.

It's all here in detail:
https://vimeo.com/102644851

Don't underestimate VAQ, I'm perfectly pleased with it in Sweden and a set of good tyres...

Heja Sverige!:clap:

dieselface

Jul 1, 2010
Are they badging the 4WD any different or will they be sleepers where you're not sure if the ST is 2 or 4?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members