Mk1 03 cupra help please?

Wolzzew

Jan 21, 2017
I'll try to be quick but explain as full as I can, today bought a cupra mk1. 2003 It's stage 1 mapped with a fmic, forge dv, forge actuator, straight through exhaust ram air induction..
Drives fine, boosts perfect no weird noises whatsoever. After an hour of using it, whilst sitting in traffic I could smell something I can't explain what but it was either oil or fuel. I noticed a lot of smoke ( 100% white ) coming from the exhaust so pulled forward a little in the traffic which cleared it.

The smell and smoke both went. I drove straight to a mechanic I know just to feel at ease. He took it for a drive with me inside and it didn't smoke atall and he gave it a very good drive.. no smoke atall we stopped and waited.. no smoke. Drove back to wh garage left it for 5 minutes to idle, then revved it up a bit and left for another few mins still no smoke.. so I drove home left it to idle and it hasn't done it again. I left the car for an hour and used it again for a 15 minute drive and it hasn't done it. I left it for ANOTHER few hours and went on the same drive and it didn't do it..

so basically it done it once, and it will not do it again, could anyone put my mind at ease ? I also know the rocker cover gasket was just replaced as it leaked if this helps in diagnosing.Sorry for the long post it's my first one and I just wanted to get as much info down as I could so I can remember. Also sorry but not sure if I posted in he right place if not please move it .. sorry and thanks

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, i've had the same issue happen before not long after buying a cupra. It only happened once and it was definitely oil it was burning, but that was about 25000 miles ago and i've never had a repeat of it.

I think it was because the car had been sat for a few weeks before i bought it, and it was oil that had pooled in the intercooler etc, that was just burning off. If yours doesn't do it again then i wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:

Wolzzew

Jan 21, 2017
I have used the car again today. Start up and warm up fine. Done about 70 miles round town etc fine no problems idled in traffic fine all day. I pulled over to check my phone it started to smoke a lot and smell like.. burning but not sure if it smelt like fuel or oil
.. so I pulled forward and stopped checked it again and it didn't smoke..

I used it for another 30-40 miles no problems and it started to smoke when I got home and parked up,
Took it round the block parked back up at home left it to idle and no smoke again

It's defo not the turbo it can't be it pulls to well and never smokes when the turbo is being used only ever on idle and the smoke is a faint white but more than just condensation. No coolant or oil loss.

I did however notice it's only after being driven a bit hard.. could it just be fuel as there is no cat it's just a straight through..
I'm hoping it's just burning off fuel ??
Thanks for any replies

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
It won't be fuel, not unless you have a misfire or the mixture is crazy rich, and then the smoke would be black not white. It sounds more like oil being burnt to me, it has a very distinctive burning smell if so.

Wolzzew

Jan 21, 2017
I mean it can't be too serious it does it maybe once a day it isn't horrendous. I would just like to know where to start looking for preventing it getting worse or if it even matters lol,

I know who I bought it off and we use he same person to fix cars so I know it's had loads of work and stuff replaced
The front mount is pretty much new

Could the air filter be blocked ??
Thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I would imagine something is starting to fail, it could be valve stem seals, piston rings or more likely the turbo oil seal.

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
I mean it can't be too serious it does it maybe once a day it isn't horrendous. I would just like to know where to start looking for preventing it getting worse or if it even matters lol,

I know who I bought it off and we use he same person to fix cars so I know it's had loads of work and stuff replaced
The front mount is pretty much new

Could the air filter be blocked ??
Thanks

sounds like the turbo to me mate might be wrong,what miles is the car on?
mine use to do the same the turbo will still boost and drive fine but smoke like a bitch...leave it a while and see how you get on,a sure sign is being at the lights drive off a build up of oil sits in the seals of the turbo and once driven off its then burnt off in the turbo...

jamfull

Feb 6, 2011
I had the same problem with my 2003 cupra. White smoke when sat in traffic. Especially when I was stationary on a hill. It was stem seals in my case.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
Sounds like valve stem seals to me , drive it down the road get the revs up and lift off throttle see if smokes on over run

Wolzzew

Jan 21, 2017
no smoke on over-run..
Never smoke when driving atall ever coolant and oil look perfect I can't see any leaks
Is it possible that there is still oil somewhere seeing as the rocker cover was just replaced due to a leak?
Turbo was inspected not long ago and he part replaced so it was fine then
The intercooler was not long put on, could it be that and wasn't fitted properly ?

I must make it CLEAR I can use the car for 3 hours it might not smoke once it's just something that is occurring now and then. Bearing in mind it has been -1 lately so I could be seeing more smoke than there is.

I did put my head right next to the exhaust to smell it and I can't explain it now it doesn't smell like oil, it smells like burning petrol?

Still continues to pull like a train and no smoke when driving

Really appreciating all the help from everyone though thanks

Wolzzew

Jan 21, 2017
Just a thought..
the mechanic said he has always done work on the car but never cleaned the air filter..
I didn't realise till now that maybe oil is being forced/ sucked because the air filter could be blocked?
Is this a possibility ?? It's 2 am nearly so I will try it tomorrow

I just wanted to know if anyone sees this as a possibility? It could be 20k miles since air filter was done

Stewarty

Oct 14, 2016
Definitely not the filter mate these ramair filters go for 10s of thousands of miles without a clean or recharge, like the guys are saying it'll be the stem seals or turbo oil seal,and they haven't steered me wrong.

Wolzzew

Jan 21, 2017
I have had turbo seals go on cars before and if I remember it's quite a cheap repair.. what about valve stem seals ? Are they expensive to buy and labour is that a long job? Don't really want to have to spend a fortune on the car as I just bought it and would rather not have to lol,

Also I'm going to clean the air filter anyway as it hasn't been done during services and I can hear it making noises on idle with my head close..

I'll use it today and update later

Thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Obviously you need to clean the filter if it's dirty, but thats nothing to do with this issue imo.

Having gone back and re-read all your posts, the valve stem seals are most likely imo. They are cheap enough, but you'll need 20 of them and the head needs stripping to fit them.

Last edited:

Wolzzew

Jan 21, 2017
I have used it today got it up to temp good run stopped to idle no smoke got to the shop no smoke back home no smoke no problems with driving either. Strange..

I have read through other posts though and seem to be seeing this air filter as a very unlikely but possible cause due to air being forced through breathers sucking oil ?
I'll just continue to use it and see what happens and leave updates
Thanks for everyone's time

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Blocked breather pipe. This can cause white smoke from exhaust. Check all PCV pipes and especially around the hockey puck. I had this on an old mr2 turbo.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
I have used it today got it up to temp good run stopped to idle no smoke got to the shop no smoke back home no smoke no problems with driving either. Strange..

I have read through other posts though and seem to be seeing this air filter as a very unlikely but possible cause due to air being forced through breathers sucking oil ?
I'll just continue to use it and see what happens and leave updates
Thanks for everyone's time

It doesnt matter what filter you have on as breathers enter tip after the filter.

Check your breathers first.....then add a catch can which vents to atmos under car.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Are you sure it was your car!!!!!

Did smoke come up from bonnet or just from rear. Have you done a compression test?