Heater/fan stopped working

Mattias87

Jun 8, 2016
Hi good people of the forum!

As soon as winter hit for real here my heater fan decided to completely stop working. Have had no problems up until yesterday when I started the car and there was a burnt smell and then the fan would not come on on either of the speeds. Tried turning all the dials and running the AC, but nothing.

Tried switching the fuse in the cabin that was indicated to be the heater without any luck. Have read the resistor pack can blow, but that the fan then usually runs on speed 4 which mine does not. Any ideas? It is going to be minus 20 Celsius here tomorrow so would be nice to get the heater back on :)

It is a seat leon mk1 from 2001.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate

It's possible that the fan motor itself has just burnt out, but there have been quite a few cases of insulation from above the fan unit getting sucked into the fan and blocking it up. The fan still ran on mine, it just made a terrible noise, but it's possible yours is jammed completely.

If you remove the pollen filter you can get access to it that way, otherwise you will need to remove the lower dash to get at it.

Last edited:

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
fan issue

matty
Did yours make a clunking sound 2-3 secs after you turned the fan off?
tommytucker 2004

tommytucker

Oct 28, 2012
fan issue

so if you get into the fan from the pollen filter whats the fix?
Tommytucker LCR 2004

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.