Am I getting the correct mpg?

Sikhmans

Jan 12, 2017
Bristol
Having owned my 184 less then a month, town driving only so far. I've not gone past 35mpg on the avg mpg screen.

Filled £20 fuel and have got 115miles, is this about right? When I fill up £20 it reads on screen 160miles.

Not really put my foot down, sensible driving. Driving in eco mode, then normail. Still no higher the 35mpg.

I've been reading on this forum and some getting around 45-50mpg? Where am I going wrong?

Cheers

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
When your on the mpg screen press on the rh wheel on steering wheel it will cycle through 3 menus.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
What you are doing wrong is driving in town!
Diesels don't 'do' town very well.
Sit on a motorway at 70mph and you'll get 50-55mpg.
Previous post refers to Since start/Since refuel/Long term readings.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Yep town driving will do it. This is why I got my misses the 1.2tsi as in town it does about 40mpg.

Take it up and down the motorway as town driving will not help the DPF.

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Agreed, unfortunately in town this is the MPG you will see as this is what I see and then yes on motorway the mpg will be much better, as it is with all diesels.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
DPF: Diesel Particulate Filter. It cleans up your tailpipe emissions but needs to do regular constant runs, (motorways, 70mph, 25 miles) will do it.
If you stick to town driving it will eventually fail and cost a lot of money.
What sort of driving are you planning on doing?

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Sikhmans

Jan 12, 2017
Bristol
Is this (dpf) something all modern diesels have?

I previously owned a 2006 2.2 civic diesel, always had around 40-45mpg town driving. 55mpg on the motorway and never had an issue and owned for 3 years. I'm. Not sure if that had a dpf, but again never had to worry about taking it on the motorway to keep it fresh.

My journey 5/6 times a day is a 4mile trip to and from work, sometimes twice a day as I have split shifts. Never normally is a motorway route on my commute.

Is there something I can do other then drive 25miles on a motorway to keep the dpf maintained correctly. Maybe a fortnight routine on the motorway, or even a blast on the duel carriageway weekly?

Cheers guys

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Is this (dpf) something all modern diesels have?

I previously owned a 2006 2.2 civic diesel, always had around 40-45mpg town driving. 55mpg on the motorway and never had an issue and owned for 3 years. I'm. Not sure if that had a dpf, but again never had to worry about taking it on the motorway to keep it fresh.

My journey 5/6 times a day is a 4mile trip to and from work, sometimes twice a day as I have split shifts. Never normally is a motorway route on my commute.

Is there something I can do other then drive 25miles on a motorway to keep the dpf maintained correctly. Maybe a fortnight routine on the motorway, or even a blast on the duel carriageway weekly?

Cheers guys
Buy a petrol.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
If you do low-speed 'town' miles then you've bought the wrong engine.

Diesel engines are no better fuel wise than their petrol counterparts around town.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I'm afraid the previous two posts are spot on. You have the wrong engine.
You will run into trouble with that limited mileage.
You will get a warning light on the dash board (a coil symbol I think) that warns of a potential blocked DPF. You then have no choice but to drive it on a fast road until the light goes out.
Running in a lower gear than normal will help.
Apart from the hassle, this will use extra fuel (the ecu pump more diesel in during a DPF regen) making the car less economical than a petrol.
If I were you I'd look to swapping for a 1.4 tsi.
Lovely engines those and perfect for your sort of journey, and they still feel torquey enough to have some fun.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Just do a "good motorway run" (say 30 mins+) with no traffic, sticking to below 75mph. A 2.0 litre diesel should easily do 50+ MPG and realistically a lot higher than that. It's hard to compare one town drive with another as there are too many variables to consider. If you are getting less than 50MPG on a motorway run then you know something is up.

Last edited:

Sikhmans

Jan 12, 2017
Bristol
Pushbike would be a great option but I work 12-15 hour shifts. Last thing I want to do at the end of that is ride a bike on them crazy Bristol hills lol. I look forward to getting in my car and driving home in the beautiful Leon, at the end of the day.

On the other points, oil does reach upto temperature on both commutes in the morning and evening. I also do drive on the motorway at least oncw every 6 weeks, if that helps on the grand scheme of things. So it isn't that I don't do motorway journeys at all.

I will see how it fairs for a year, and may opt for the cupra :)

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Pushbike would be a great option but I work 12-15 hour shifts. Last thing I want to do at the end of that is ride a bike on them crazy Bristol hills lol. I look forward to getting in my car and driving home in the beautiful Leon, at the end of the day.

On the other points, oil does reach upto temperature on both commutes in the morning and evening. I also do drive on the motorway at least oncw every 6 weeks, if that helps on the grand scheme of things. So it isn't that I don't do motorway journeys at all.

I will see how it fairs for a year, and may opt for the cupra :)

You are getting good advice here. I would heed it. A 4 mile commute every day, sometimes twice, will see you having possibly costly DPF problems well within a year.

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Thrash it at the weekend, get out on a stretch of road where you can be a little more foot down, my commute is 15 miles round in town but I see my girlfriend at the weekend which is 80odd miles. My average mpg after 4500 miles is 43, best I've had is a 200 mile trip from Nottingham to Canterbury where my trip mpg was 54 which I was very impressed with. Diesels are for long journeys, the driving you do screams the 1.4/1.8 petrol or as you say, cupra

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
With that distance I would use my pushbike, the oil won't ever reach proper operating temp.

Yes this, probably a bigger problem than the DPF, you can get round the issue of the DPF by taking it for a run occasionally, but doing a short run twice a day where the engine won't reach operating temperature won't do the engine any favours in the long run

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
35mpg average not so bad for city driving.

I had the 2.0TDI 150 DSG.

My experience 11 mile trip via central London east to west on weekend...

Very heavy traffic: 27-33mpg (all average mpg)
Modest traffic: 33-37mpg
medium traffic: 37-45mpg
light traffic: 45-50mpg (eg...9am on a Sunday morning).
no traffic: 50-55mpg (wohoo! met the manufacturer city mpg :lol: )

On a run to Stansted and back...60 miles...~ 70-75mph mostly cruise control.... about 58mpg

I had the car for 2 yrs, did 9k miles in total all weekend driving 50% driving in city, 25% 40-50mph 'extra urban'... and 25% fast highways...DPF didn't cause me any issues...I could hear it regen when idle ever so often (eg...no start-stop avalaible and rpm raised at about 1k) and it really stinks when this happens, but luckily no light came on. I only use Shell/Esso regular, and sometimes Shell Vpower Nitro+ but never supermarket diesel.

Oh I now have a Ibiza 1.0 EcoTSI DSG, city mpg figures about the same...the same Stansted run...well I got only around 48-50mpg average...but driving mainly 65-70mph on cruise control..

Last edited:

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
35mpg around town is not too bad but not the ideal drive for a diesel.

It will still regen around town just fine, lots of advice on here is based on how DPF's used to be. Modern systems are much more capable and the regen process is much better controlled.

I recommend you carry on as you are, enjoy the car and don't worry about the DPF

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members