03 leon cupra r start and cuts out straight away

Smcdee

Apr 27, 2016
Hi please help couple days ago i was out and noticed a little white smoke from exhaust although was ok then following day went out to car and started but was very lumpy like almost cutting out and abot more smoke. Drove it along street and it was real bad like no fuel jerky. So parked up and scanned and got code 17963 charge pressure exceeded limit. Now startup and dies straight away please help thanks

Smcdee

Apr 27, 2016
I had a look cant see anything. Wont start now its trying but jus wont fire up anything else i could check? See if it was a leak would it not still start up? Thanks

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Seems odd that it won't start but that code shows a problem with the N75.

Have a look at the coil packs - failing ones can be caked with gunk

Last edited:

Stewarty

Oct 14, 2016
Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you get in the car before you try and start,I know it has nothing to do with that code but I didn't get any code up when my pump failed.worth a check

Smcdee

Apr 27, 2016
Coil packs sounds like it could be check tonight. Thanks is it worth trying to jump start to see or will it still not start if its coils.
Yes pumps working cheers

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
i would not suggest jump starting as i read its turning over etc ok, just not firing up.
my initial thought was lack of fuel.. pump etc..
coils possibly - these would usually bring up a light on the dash and it would run but like a tractor.

longer shot, MAF, try unplugging this (will bring up traction control light and run using slightly more basic assumed numbers.

Last edited:

Smcdee

Apr 27, 2016
Yeh that was my first thoughts petrol light is on but only just so theres enough fuel. I tryed unplugging maf but doesnt start either. Eml is on but scanned and said charge pressure limit exceeded and thought that would be n75 valve but im not sure. I dont want to have to spend what i dont have too at this time because still trying to get on my feet after xmas lol. Thanks

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
A charge pressure fault won't stop it starting and neither will a coil fault............ I'd be thinking fuel pump if you're 100% sure there's enough fuel in it.

Last edited:

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
A charge pressure fault won't stop it starting and neither will a coil fault............ I'd be thinking fuel pump if you're 100% sure there's enough fuel in it.

I've had my fuel pump go before and it sounds like it could be a contender with yours. As said above, try and listen for the fuel pump when you open the door/turn ignition to on. You should hear a short hum and this will be your pump. If you are getting no sound, chances are it's given up. I had no hint until it literally wouldn't start one evening, despite having gone to work in the day. If you kick the drivers side skirt you may be able to get enough fuel in to start (believe it or not The RAC did this and worked every time, just to get it to start). Keep the engine running if you are going to get it to a garage or call breakdown. As above, a coil pack going will bring up a fault and which cylinder, it will also flash an EML and sound RAF. Let us know how you get on.

Stewarty

Oct 14, 2016
If it is the pump best way to get it going is just lift the seat behind the driver seat and its 3 screws to get to the pump and just tap it with handle of the screw driver, real easy and it got mine going twice in the space of 2 weeks till I got the cash together and delivery of new unit,they ain't cheap tho,£165 I was from Eurocarparts and its real easy to replace as its just a drop in.I'm no ed China and I managed no problems!

andycupra

status subject to change
I've had my fuel pump go before and it sounds like it could be a contender with yours. As said above, try and listen for the fuel pump when you open the door/turn ignition to on. You should hear a short hum and this will be your pump. If you are getting no sound, chances are it's given up. I had no hint until it literally wouldn't start one evening, despite having gone to work in the day. If you kick the drivers side skirt you may be able to get enough fuel in to start (believe it or not The RAC did this and worked every time, just to get it to start). Keep the engine running if you are going to get it to a garage or call breakdown. As above, a coil pack going will bring up a fault and which cylinder, it will also flash an EML and sound RAF. Let us know how you get on.
you sure hes kicking the skirt and not the tank?

common trick is to kick the tank.

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Sorry, should have clarified. Yes he started with the tank and followed down the skirt. Enough Welly to get the fuel moving. It worked so allowed him to kick my car. Anyone else would have had a kicking back :confused:

Smcdee

Apr 27, 2016
Rite guys i know problem now. The thick little f**k at work put diesel in the small jerry can at work which is only used for petrol and me with cold didnt smell anything.anyway ive drove it and now not starting how do i go about sorting this. Thanks and sorry for wasting your time before

Stewarty

Oct 14, 2016
Well that would defo explain the smoke.!!!I would think you will have to drain ure fuel tank and maybe,maybe bleed the fuel system.do you have RAC or AA cus my AA covers incorrect fuel fill up and they come to me and solve it as its part of the cover.worth checking! And your not wasting anybody's time mate,that's what the forum is for,problem solving!!I'm sure your not the first or last to put wrong fuel In by mistake

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
You'll have to get a man out to drain the tank. You might need new spark plugs as well.

Better diesel in a petrol than the other way round though

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise