difference between fr and cupra ?

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
- I had an C-class AMG for 3 years. I loved that car; it made me smile every time I turned the key (and cry leaving the petrol stations) and I could find myself just driving for the enjoyment of it.

- my friend had a C-class 350 AMG line at the same time which I drove in a couple of times. It was a nice car and I liked it, but it was just not the same.

- shortly after the AMG I got an A4 3.0 tdi Quattro s-line loaded with everything it could be and tuned to 310 hp. I liked it, I really did. I can however not remember having taken it for a drive just for the sake of driving. Ever. Except in snow playing snowplow..

- one of my other friends bought an FR ST this summer. I like it and it's a nice car. I know he likes it. He does however not love it or love driving it. At least I have not heard him once talk about how much he loves to drive it or of just driving around for the sake of it.

- I have a Cupra now and for the first time since the AMG I find myself driving detours on my way home in the evening, and grabbing the keys at odd times of the day for no other reason than driving. I love that car. Why? I can't fully explain it - I could go into a lot of details but individually they just do not add up to why: it just makes me smile.

To me that is the difference between trim levels/sports packages and the performance models. The individual differences can not explain the sum of the change in those rare cases were they manage to get it just right. For me at least, that is the case of the Cupra. And that does not make me cry leaving the petrol station ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when you say you take detours, they're detours to the nearest petrol station, right? ;)

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
On a serious note, I love my FR, i love the inside, I love the drive, the sports steering is heavy, the torque from the engine offers a huge amount of fun in the corners and despite not being a cupra it still spanks most cars off the line. The driving I do consists of tight corners, motorways and cities, a cupra couldn't do those 3 things combined as well as my 184 steam train can.

Besides, I have spoiler and side skirts as standard* you cupra boys don't, it's beautiful, I love it.

*its an FR Titanium before anyone bites my head off about them not being standard
018acd48882735a05d09f7848a34f194.jpg

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
So when you say you take detours, they're detours to the nearest petrol station, right? ;)

Imagine filling up at the nearest one and realizing that the one further away was cheaper - now that would be a shame would it not

The excuses are line up and ready for explaining why the commute home of 20 km suddenly can take so long

Perfect_g

Jul 24, 2016
On a serious note, I love my FR, i love the inside, I love the drive, the sports steering is heavy, the torque from the engine offers a huge amount of fun in the corners and despite not being a cupra it still spanks most cars off the line. The driving I do consists of tight corners, motorways and cities, a cupra couldn't do those 3 things combined as well as my 184 steam train can.

Besides, I have spoiler and side skirts as standard* you cupra boys don't, it's beautiful, I love it.

*its an FR Titanium before anyone bites my head off about them not being standard
018acd48882735a05d09f7848a34f194.jpg

That is one seriously beautiful car Nice choice of specs..

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
That is one seriously beautiful car Nice choice of specs..

Yeah I've been playing with the idea of wrapping the roof and mirrors in black but I'm going to continue to play with the idea till my lease runs out and I get a new car

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
If the FR is a trim level, can someone point me in the direction of a 1.4 150tfsi, 1.8tsi or 184 tdi in the 'standard' trim please?

Last edited:

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
If the FR is a trim level, can someone point me in the direction of a 1.4 150tfsi, 1.8tsi or 184 tdi in the 'standard' trim please?

You don't get those as standard, the non FR Seat engines are different I think the highest diesel is a 1.6 but I wouldn't know for sure.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
The FR is an excellent car and would not disappoint in most situations. I saw one recently which had a larger rear spoiler, side skirts and really cool wheels. It looked brilliant, in fact nicer than my 290!

However, if you can put up with the higher monthly payments, the higher road licence fee, the costlier insurance, and the poorer fuel consumption, then there is only one option. You would not be disappointed.

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
FR vs Cupra ?

Do like to weigh-in here.

Surprised no reply stating that the Cupra will have the Lim/Slip Diff.
Which seems a rather big contribution to the whole ride, or ?
The Fr is a sporty car, but the Cupra even so in extremis !
Bit more lowered and standard on 19' rims also.
So if M.P.G. is not the main concern AND financial possible, there is but one option only -
indeed the Cupra.
Fail to see why my Cupra would not outperform the FR (as was stated), with my 50% more power.

On an other topic, the Cupra-R seems rather some miscommunication, when the marketing boys got news of the AWD they looked at the Golf R. As now not only MBQ and Engine same but complete drivetrain as well.
If one will -ever- come it will not be for years, I believe.
However, on the other hand, if the new Cupra 300 will not sell as expected we might see it next fall. Does nor seem very likely though.

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
You are mixing apples and oranges... some here says FR is 184 but there are other FRs as well like the 150hp.

What made me choose the Cupra was the XDS diff, double the power and the possibility to turn off ECS fully. I'd say that for 98% of the people and 350 days a year the FR is just as good at 3/4 the cost. $0.02.

Love-Cupra

Jul 29, 2016
Netherlands
XDS or Lim'd Slip Diff.

Indeed those items, stated by Major Tom, made also for me the deciding difference.

But XDS is not a Lim/Slip (mechenical) Dif. As XDS will only use the brakes to corner.
Also I would say -at least- around 70% of the time the FR will just do, that is strictly my
opinion - but based on my driving habits.

Apr 12, 2010
Cupra has a haldex "lock" as well as xds doesn't it? My Fr150 had XDS and the Cupra is vastly superior to the FR in sorting itself out powering through corners! combine that with the independent rear suspension and the DCC its streets ahead of the FR150 I had... Not driven any other FR though!

Alex_280

Dec 31, 2015
184 has independent rear suspension as well and 380nm torque certainly does a job through corners

What's torque got to do with cornering? :lol::lol:

With all the comments you're coming through as very insecure with your choice of car. Its absolutely ok not to own the top of the range car, just be happy with what you've got and realise its limitations. Also if you're gonna use the SI measurements for torque, I hope you use KW when talking about your epic steam train's power output :idea:

Edited to add, woah, its 135.33Kw :clap:

Last edited:

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
What's torque got to do with cornering? :lol::lol:

With all the comments you're coming through as very insecure with your choice of car. Its absolutely ok not to own the top of the range car, just be happy with what you've got and realise its limitations. Also if you're gonna use the SI measurements for torque, I hope you use KW when talking about your epic steam train's power output :idea:

Haha I'm not insecure in the slightest I just enjoy baiting people on a very touchy subject, I do 15k miles, why on earth would I want a car that does 25mpg

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Haha I'm not insecure in the slightest I just enjoy baiting people on a very touchy subject, I do 15k miles, why on earth would I want a car that does 25mpg

And torque helps with cornering because torque is the pulling force, if you're going round a corner and accelerate the more torque the more pull through the bend?

Alex_280

Dec 31, 2015
And torque helps with cornering because torque is the pulling force, if you're going round a corner and accelerate the more torque the more pull through the bend?

It's not going to help much on a car without a mechanical diff. Out of interest, what happens after 3000rpm to all that lovely torque? Talking about the difference between the FR and Cupra to get back on topic, whilst you mention the peak figure, what about the Cupra's torque spread, its at peak from 1700-5800rpm, which means you don't have to do an impression of someone rowing a boat when making brisk progress. :joystick:

I'm not sure you'll bait many more Cupra drivers, as they're probably out enjoying their cars instead of sat working out how to improve their MPG, have you tried streamlining? :p

Wait, are you saying you torque steer round corners??!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members