Engine flush and fuel treatment - yay or nay?

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
I've just arranged to have my first service; oil and filter change. I have been 'sold' the extra service of an engine flush and fuel treatment. It is 25 quid extra. I have never heard of this or been offered it by any manufacturers, so I'm a little worried the lass who booked me in for the service is just trying to make a sale.

Having done a little research online it appears that it can do more harm than good if you are doing regular oil changes.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Car is Cupra 290 on about 14k and on variable service intervals. Says oil change not due for another 3k, but I want it changed now.

Thanks

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Pretty pointless using a oil flush on flush on it, and again if your using super unleaded, totally pointless to be using a one time fuel treatment too
Just my opinion of course.
But I'd save your money and tell then to save it all for the next ford anglia driver who calls in for a service :D

Last edited:

stu_m

Aug 14, 2014
Hull
www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk
Totally pointless and a waste of money

Regular servicing is more than enough

No where in the service schedule does it state about flushing anything if it was so good or important then it would be recommended

Zaco95

Oct 31, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Well unless the engine flush is a carbon clean there wouldn't be much point in my eyes plus considering how new your car is a engine clean wouldn't be necessary, just take it on a spirited drive and I'm sure you will clean it out yourself and have fun at the same time!
As for the fuel treatment all I can think they'd do is put some Redex type fluid in your fuel tank and as like dw911 said if you us a premium fuel like vPower or any other equivalent all these have it included I believe.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Just to add, with some of the money you saved, put it to good use on something that may actually be of benefit and put in a new air filter, mine was filthy at that mileage and the service schedule for first air filter change is something ridiculous like 40000 miles

Madhatter

Jul 4, 2014
Sat on arse
Thanks for the replies all. I've cancelled it now.

I only use VPower 99 anyway and give it a good old Italian tune up regularly.

From the research I've done, it does seem that the engine flush can do more harm than good on this type of car. It can loosen sludge, which then becomes like a blood clot in the engine...

And it can contaminate the new oil! I just wish dealers knew what they are doing. It does not inspire confidence. Just looked at reviews for the SEAT dealership I'm taking it to and they are terrible! The only positive reviews are no doubt written by the sales staff!

I just hope they put the correct grade oil in now.

Air filter change is a good call!

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
Here in Russia VAG dealers tells to use every 15.000km VAG G001770A2 fuel additive to prevent pollution of fuel pump and other equipment.
T21V_BXkNaXXXXXXXX_!!431273101.jpg

6f2fba4s-960.jpg

108a7cs-960.jpg

Part G 001770A2 is multi-purpose additive for engine fuels, part of miscellaneous lubricants for VAG cars. Is applied in 145 VAG models. Average price: 10$

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Here in Russia VAG dealers tells to use every 15.000km VAG G001770A2 fuel additive to prevent pollution of fuel pump and other equipment.

6f2fba4s-960.jpg

108a7cs-960.jpg

Part G 001770A2 is multi-purpose additive for engine fuels, part of miscellaneous lubricants for VAG cars. Is applied in 145 VAG models. Average price: 10$

Could that be more to do because of the fuel you use, isn't it higher in sulfur etc and 92 is the preferred grade that most people use, some even use lower out in the countryside, although 95 is available just not as popular as 92, and 98 whilst available is rarely used?
I might be completely wrong or my information might be out of date, as I heard you were supposed to be standardising to euro 5 for gasoline last year ?.
Anyway just putting it out there as a suggestion as to why your dealers might recommend using a fuel additive, when UK ones dont
But your better placed to say for sure :)

dw911

Mar 30, 2013

6f2fba4s-960.jpg

108a7cs-960.jpg

Just found the answer, fuel quality, low Ron number or porky pies as to the real number and unreliable fuel supply - I guess they mean if a unscrupulous garage sells 89 as 92 as 95 or 92 or 95 as 98 + - in certain countries
No issues in the UK if your running 98+ in your cupra or 95 on lower powered models

Part G 001770A2 is multi-purpose additive for engine fuels, part of miscellaneous lubricants for Audi and Skoda cars. This multi-purpose additive for engine fuels is applied in 145 VAG models for Local Market, USA, Mexico, China, Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Shanghai and Czech Republic since 1987 till 2015.

Part G 001780M3 is multi-purpose additive for engine fuels, part of miscellaneous lubricants for Skoda and Volkswagen cars. This multi-purpose additive for engine fuels is applied in 36 VAG models for Local Market, USA, Mexico, China, Brazil, South Africa, Argentina, Shanghai and Czech Republic since 2004 till 2015.