Leon Cupra R Noise at Idle after Cambelt change - Help!

pooley25

Leon Cupra R 225-260 '05
Aug 26, 2013
Cambridge
Got exactly the same noise myself after a cambelt change, been like that for a few months now.

It's doing my head in mate. I've changed the whole kit twice and the tensioner & damper for a third time.

Can't get rid of the noise! Thing is, after each change it sounds like it does in the video... But after a few months it gets worse and develops into a metallic rattle too.

I miss how it used to sound, starting to dislike the car now

pooley25

Leon Cupra R 225-260 '05
Aug 26, 2013
Cambridge
I don't get any metallic noises, just the same as in the video, just checked and I did mine in July last year, was an INA kit too including tensioner.

Funnily enough mine was first changed in July last year too! When I picked it up I noticed the noise but thought it might just need to bed in... Drove it for a few months but got louder and developed a metallic rattly sound along with it. Each time I've changed the kit the metallic noise has gone instantly but the original noise still there as shown in the video.

I'd be interested to see weather or not yours develops the metallic rattle? It seems that because of the slight play between the top of the damper piston and the arm from the tensioner due to the piston not applying enough pressure, it creates a miniscule 'bounce' between the metal components and eventually wears and gets worse creating the rattle?

Personally I find the sound very irritating, I think it sounds terrible, but if I knew it was safe in terms of the Timing and it didn't turn in to the rattle I think I'd be able to live with it. I'm just waiting for it to get worse and I hate the fact that before I took it in for the belt change the engine sounded spot on.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
The timing could be out mate, I've drove down to Portsmouth and back and my cars fine, I have the same noise but not as loud can just hear it, so mines is safe to drive, why don't you phone up seat and see what they say

pooley25

Leon Cupra R 225-260 '05
Aug 26, 2013
Cambridge
The timing could be out mate, I've drove down to Portsmouth and back and my cars fine, I have the same noise but not as loud can just hear it, so mines is safe to drive, why don't you phone up seat and see what they say

Already have John... they've looked at it & tell me it's normal.

I'm just confused as there was absolutely no noise like it before, not even faintly. So I struggle to believe it's normal?

If the timing was out, wouldn't it have to be a whole tooth out? I can't imagine it would run as well as it does if the timing was a whole tooth out?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Well if they did its normal then it's normal lol they no there cars, I know what your saying to it wasn't there before, I don't have a clue mate, when I done my water pump I never change my held or tensioner my belt was brand new

noiseyengine

Mar 14, 2016
Here's link to a video of the noise now... Same noise present after all 3 cambelt changes!

How many of you VAG 1.8T owners out there also have or have had this noise? And how do you get rid of it! :confused:

I found the best way to get rid of that sound/noise, is to turn the engine off. Failing that, you could try humming very loudly to yourself?

Nikke8899

Jul 21, 2016
Finland
Hello everyone, this will be my first post. Just had my timing belt changed on my 2005 lcr and now I have the same issue, it's really loud too. Have any of you guys managed to fix this problem yet?

Nikke8899

Jul 21, 2016
Finland
I have the same problem on a cold engine, but noise is mostly reduced when warm.

Sometimes for me to, but not always the case. Very wierd indeed, must be the tensioner. Anyway the car is going back to the mechanic next week. I'll report back if I get som new information then. :yes:

Last edited:

Nikke8899

Jul 21, 2016
Finland
So. It has come down to this. Everything checked and nothing wrong found. Even the old parts has been fitted and the rattle is still there. This leaves me thinking, maybe the rattle has always been there though I'm 99,9℅ sure it has not. Drives me nuts.

svlsctudor

Aug 9, 2016
Has anyone managed to get to the bottom of this? I have the same issue with my 1.9 TDI Leon and it's driving me mad...

Last edited:

svlsctudor

Aug 9, 2016
Hi, as I said I had the same problem with my Leon 1.9 TDI 110. Exactly the same noise as in the youtube video.
Started after a cambelt change, was not there before, so obviously I thought it's got something to do with the cambelt change.
We'll...it didn't. It was the alternator bearing. New alternator, new tensioner and new belt. Problem solved. I'm not sure if the mechanic managed to damage something while doing the cambelt change or not, but that was the issue on my car and it got sorted.
Hope it helps

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
I had my belt and pump changed a while ago and my engine seemed find afterwards, no noise at all.

Possible good shout with the alternator.. worth some of the others on here with the same issue, perhaps try removing the alternator belt and running the engine for a few mins without it.

angelday

Jun 28, 2008
I have this sound exactly after the cambelt change. First about 5 years ago I had a cambelt change and after that the car has the same sound. I used the car with this noise for 5 years and the time has come to change the cambelt again. I was happy, finally I couls rid of that weird sound...but....4 months have been passed since the 2. cambelt change and still I can hear the same sound, immediately after the service... So the second cambelt change did not help... Has somebody solved this problem already?

xDaNx

I have this sound exactly after the cambelt change. First about 5 years ago I had a cambelt change and after that the car has the same sound. I used the car with this noise for 5 years and the time has come to change the cambelt again. I was happy, finally I couls rid of that weird sound...but....4 months have been passed since the 2. cambelt change and still I can hear the same sound, immediately after the service... So the second cambelt change did not help... Has somebody solved this problem already?
What brand cambelt kit?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise