Tough choice: ST FR 1.4 ACT TSI or 1.8 TSI

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
Has the demise of the 1.8 TSI in the UK been officially confirmed anywhere? Cancelling an order is pretty much final but it's a bit of a shambles.

The 1.8 has reappeared in the online configuration tool (I'm fairly sure it was missing early in January). It's not listed in the downloadable PDF brochure on SEAT's website, but that still has "pre sales" in the filename which is suspicious.

Yeah I've just checked and it shows available to select on the ST only, which if it's correct is very odd, checked SC and 5 door, no 1.8 shows up! Someone needs to speak to SEAT UK to see what's going on.
I hope it is correct AND it is going to be available on the other body styles as the 1.8 with a DSG and it's multilink rear end and bigger brakes is such a nice, well rounded combination in the Leon.

I do wonder as well when we are going to start seeing the new 1.5tsi engine start to appear and when VW are going to announce the higher output versions of it that they have hinted at. Failing that the 190hp 2.0tsi that you can get in the A3 would be good to have in the Leon, even Vauxhall do a 1.6 turbo with 200 hp in the new Astra that does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and is a good drive (my sister in law had a leased one before she got her i3).

chalky

Jan 28, 2017
Scotland
! Someone needs to speak to SEAT UK to see what's going on.
Failing that the 190hp 2.0tsi that you can get in the A3 would be good.

I've requested info via their the UK contact form also via twitter. I'll post if I get anything back. Hopefully they hurry up and make a decision as my Mk2 is in desperate need of replacement.

It does seem bizarre that Audi gets an engine with such similar output. I'd assumed that was the 2.0 TFSI was going to be annouced as part of the Leon facelift but sadly not.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
As mentioned earlier in this thread I will really miss my 1.8 Tsi Leon FR but I had already decided to have a new car before mine is 4 years old in June. It's too late now if SEAT decide to offer the 1.8 engine again in the UK because I now have a VW Golf ordered which hopefully I will get before the end of March.

In ordering a VW Golf GT Edition DSG I have had to compromise by having the same 1.4 ACT Tsi engine as in the Facelift Leon FR but with the Golf I will get the independent rear suspension with their 1.4.
There are currently big reductions in the price of Golfs before the introduction of their facelift model later this year. With the Golf GT Edition I am getting a reasonably highly specced car for less,than I would have paid for a new Leon FR with future resale values being much more encouraging. But SEAT have lost a customer as My last 3 cars have been Leon FRs.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Yeah I've just checked and it shows available to select on the ST only, which if it's correct is very odd, checked SC and 5 door, no 1.8 shows up! Someone needs to speak to SEAT UK to see what's going on. .

I asked SEAT UK to confirm. But the 1.8 is now shown on the configurator for 5 door and SC as well as the ST...

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
I asked SEAT UK to confirm. But the 1.8 is now shown on the configurator for 5 door and SC as well as the ST...

This is good I guess, though means if I had waited a while I could have a brand new facelift one instead of used and in the exact colour and spec i wanted, oh well it's only on a 3 year PCP.........

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
If true Ashworth will be devastated.

Well, disappointed definitely, and in some ways I feel sorry for my local SEAT dealer who have been very good to me over the past 10 years or so. Through SEAT UKs indecision regarding the 1.8 Tsi they have lost a customer.

However, despite my disappointment, I'm really looking forward to getting my new VW Golf GT Edition 1.4 DSG is about 6 weeks time. After owning 3 FRs I'm hoping it will make a refreshing change. I loved it on the test drive and certainly from the inside it felt a big step up in quality. With the current offer on the Golf I'm getting a real quality vehicle for quite a bit less than I would have paid for a new 1.8 FR with better resale values when I eventually sell it.

So disappointed yes, but perhaps not completely devastated as I'm now excited about getting my Golf soon.

Last edited:

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
I've had confirmation from seat uk that the 1.8 is available in sc, 5 door and st variants as both manual and dsg. And as above the configurator includes all these combinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
yeah, I can imagine really looking forward to a 1.4 golf over a 1.8 leon.........

That's not exactly what I said or meant.

Of course I am disappointed and would have preferred another 1.8 Leon. However, now that I have got a Golf on order I am looking forward to my new car. The 1.4 Golf may not be my first choice but it s a lovely car and still got a lot going for it. If SEAT has have got their act together 2 months ago I would now be looking forward to getting a new 1.8 Leon but the Golf is ordered and I am looking forward to getting it. However, I will be sorry to see my current 1.8 Leon go.

Last edited:

chalky

Jan 28, 2017
Scotland
I've had confirmation from seat uk that the 1.8 is available in sc, 5 door and st variants as both manual and dsg. And as above the configurator includes all these combinations.

Are you in the UK? Because I just received this from SEAT UK by email:

I understand that you would like to know if the new Leon ST is available to order with a 1.8 TSI engine. Unfortunately, this model is not available to order with the 1.8 TSI engine, which was available on the previous Leon. The new Leon ST is available to order with the following petrol engines:

1.2 TSI 110PS available on the SE Dynamic Technology and SE Technology
1.4 EcoTSI 150PS available on the FR Technology and XCELLENCE Technology
1.4 EcoTSI 125PS XCELLENCE Technology
2.0 TSI 300PS available on the CUPRA

They really need to get their act together!

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Glad I found this thread, as I'm having the similar dilemma.

I sold my 2010 MK2 1.4Tsi Sport as I fancied a change & got a 2012 Volvo C30 2.0L R-Design in May 2016, it was an itch I just had to scratch. But I've acted in haste & repented at leisure!
I want to get back in a Leon and have been wondering whether to go for a used MK3 1.4EcoTsi FR SC manual or a 1.8TSi DSG FR SC

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Are you in the UK? Because I just received this from SEAT UK by email:

I understand that you would like to know if the new Leon ST is available to order with a 1.8 TSI engine. Unfortunately, this model is not available to order with the 1.8 TSI engine, which was available on the previous Leon. The new Leon ST is available to order with the following petrol engines:

1.2 TSI 110PS available on the SE Dynamic Technology and SE Technology
1.4 EcoTSI 150PS available on the FR Technology and XCELLENCE Technology
1.4 EcoTSI 125PS XCELLENCE Technology
2.0 TSI 300PS available on the CUPRA

They really need to get their act together!

The web brochure now includes 1.8 in all varieties:
https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/default/files/Leon-pre-sales-brochure-Jan-17.pdf

MadCow

Jan 6, 2017
Thank you all for the answers!

I decided to go with 1.4 and already placed an order. Estimated delivery is beginning of May :)

The decision was purely an economical one - over 6 years (the minimum I plan to stay with the car) the difference in purchase price and running costs adds up to around 4000 Euro so quite a lot. Currently I'm not commuting with a car but it might change so the difference can be even higher.

I spec'd it with all the nice things - ACC, DCC, Alcantara, 18" Performance I rims (normally I wouldn't go with the latter two but they were a part of a package) and the colour is Boheme Purple. I'll post some pictures once I get it!

Last edited:

chrobu

Feb 10, 2017
I thing, that you make good decision

I have 1.4 TSI and if you remap it to 180-190 PS and 300-320NM then its quick car. Its also weighs less then 1.8 TSI. I have 6,4l/100km in my remap 1.4 TSi and my friend has 8,7 in his 1.8TSI.

If i can accept consuption arroud 9 liter/100km then i buy cupra with 2.0 TSI with consuption very close to 1.8 TSI but much more power . So 1.8 TSI is useless engine for me.

Last edited:

MadCow

Jan 6, 2017
Good to hear that :) Remapping = bye, bye warranty sadly...

I wouldn't say it's useless - still way cheaper in both purchase price and maintenance/running costs. Cupra makes sense only if you plan on going to a racetrack a few times a year imho.

chrobu

Feb 10, 2017
Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.