Headlight brightness

ajg74

Dec 9, 2016
Manchester
The other half and myself where out in the countryside (ish) last night and both commented on how bright the LED lights are, how much they light up the road even in dipped beam. We where comparing them to our DS4 which has very bright bi-xenon cornering lights and always thought them very good compared to our old Mazda's xenons and friends BMW's with xenons. Maybe mine are just adjusted correctly from the factory? Also never been flashed by anyone with them while on dipped beam.

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Been following this and just don't understand why there is so much difference in light output between what is in effect the same car

For example my current 16MY Leon 5dr LED lights are appalling the Halogen ones on my old 3 Series BM were better and that's saying something, yet the previous 14MY Leon SC the LED lights were fantastic.

I checked and adjusted both Leon's lights on an MOT beam setter when I first got them and both were set to the upper most limit, yet there is so much difference in night vision, so much so SWMBO is starting to refuse to drive at night,( that's bad as it means I can't have a beer if we go out:cry:) been back to dealer and they are set correctly and all LEDS are working

To be honest if it's raining or visibility is down it's at the point of being dangerous, I drive for a living so I'm used to driving in all sorts of conditions and it doesn't normally bother me but there's just not enough illumination to see properly especially in country lanes

The sooner I can get out of the PCP deal and get shot of the car the better, which is a shame because apart from that I think for the money it's a cracking car

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I asked this question the other day, does it feel like your lights are pointing at the ground and only lighting a few metres in front of the car? Seems like everyone who's unhappy is dealing with the auto levelling problem

philmots

Jan 29, 2017
Leeds
Apparently they are improved. Better range etc. But think that was seat comms. Clearly need independent and owner reviews. Which no doubt will vary from Useless to The best lights ever;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely!

Still prefer the look of xenons myself, cheaper to replace too when stuff goes wrong. I'd imagine the LED lights will be a full swap out when they break.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I only found mine was really poor when the lens is covered with dirt, dried up dirty water, or just after a rain and you've been driving behind another vehicle on a 40/50mph road you get the idea.

Noticed one dusk/night, the light was dull, scattered, a bit 'poo' no pun intended, on a dark highway...when the highway straighted out...i pulled the screen and headlight wash, light almost completely blacks out for a sec or so while water is being sprayed, within 5 secs or so...back to full brightness :)...usually when I'm about to embark on a long highway journey at night (where there are no streetlights), where possible I would spray/throw some bottled water over them then wipe the headlights with a microfibre. If I can see the headlight mirrors clearly streak free...the lights can shine on the road well :).

I'm sure many of you have seen 10+ yr old cars with frosted/decoloured headlight plastic, even if you change to new bulb, light cannot shine as well as when new through a clear lens.

I also have an Ibiza with Bi-Xenons, while they are marginally brighter (compared to 63 plate Leon LED lights) and shine further, Leon LEDs pick up more detail, and for me reflects the light of reflective things better. Full beam, no contest, LEDs! Bi-Xenon full beam on Ibiza is as joke...

Last edited:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I had more checked for aim at the dealer, they said it was fine, but, so I adjusted the aim 1/4 turn on the screw under the bonnet and saw an change of height against the garage door, no flashes from oncoming traffic so far and so I'll try another 1/4 turn this weekend, of course I should just take the car into work and adjust the aim to the optimum using the mot beam tester, someday I'll remember to do that.

PaoloB

Jul 10, 2016
My previous car, Volvo V40 came with bending, bi-xenon lights. They were way, way, better than the Mk3 Leon leds'. Main beam is isn't too bad but other than that they're crape to say the least.

Driving on A road the other night I thought they damn near dangerous. Led's just for the sake of saying that they're equipped on the car is all well and good but, at least make them useable..

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.