Oil temperature rises rapidly

Daz68

Apr 18, 2002
Somewhere up north
I've had my 290 for 6 months and noticed over the weekend that the oil temperature seemed to be rising a lot quicker than normal so today I've been monitoring it a bit more closely.

This morning I had a short journey of around 2 miles and then a wait for around fifteen minutes. I kept the engine running to keep me warm. The oil temperature hit 50 just after I arrived and rose steadily to 82.

Tonight I had another story journey of around 2 miles, a few minutes with the engine off and then a 3.5 mile journey to a restaurant. The oil temp had hit 101 by the time I reached it after a fairly slow drive through streets with 30/40 limits.

I was in the restaurant for just over an hour. The oil temp was showing 50 as soon as I started the engine and again had hit 100 after the 3.5 miles/10 mins back home. Again slow driving.

Out of interest I sat on the drive for 5 mins, the temp dropped to 98 but didn't drop any lower, and the fan was running after I switched off. Water temp was 90 at all times.

I usually let the oil temp get to 90 before I start pushing it so I always have it displayed. I'm sure that it takes a lot longer normally when driving gently and when stationary it takes forever.

Sorry for the long post but I'd be interested to know what people think.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Mine def rises slowly but the manual does say temps up to 110 deg is normal.

I don't really look at mine so can't say to much more!

lukeoslavia

Aug 8, 2016
i find that mine warms up super quick without climate control on, so on the cold mornings i leave it running for 5 minutes or so in the drive with the climate control complete off, just the heated seat and rear window on, by the time i get in the car, coolant temp is already at 90° and the engine oil is normally around 70° and quickly rises to 100 when leaving the village, suppose the independently cooled exhaust manifold is doing its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renex

Nov 17, 2016
Moscow, Russia
Actual engine coolant temp is 105-107°C, but display shows only 90°C for keeping users calm. If you plug in VCDS you'll see the real temperature, so the oil heats from engine and gets above 105-110°C in summer, and up to 120° and more on track days.

Daz68

Apr 18, 2002
Somewhere up north
i find that mine warms up super quick without climate control on, so on the cold mornings i leave it running for 5 minutes or so in the drive with the climate control complete off, just the heated seat and rear window on, by the time i get in the car, coolant temp is already at 90° and the engine oil is normally around 70° and quickly rises to 100 when leaving the village, suppose the independently cooled exhaust manifold is doing its job.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Luke you've just reminded me that I turned off my climate control on Saturday morning when I was checking my tyre pressures, and forgot to switch it on again until yesterday. With you seeing your temp rise quicker when it's off that would explain it. Cheers.

isalopek

Aug 25, 2016

Whats the winter morning temperature there when it gets so quicly warm. By us, in winter morning, after driving 10 miles it still gets about 80degrees, but morning temp os about -15 til -10 degrees celzius, and car is diesel

lukeoslavia

Aug 8, 2016
Thanks for the replies guys.

Luke you've just reminded me that I turned off my climate control on Saturday morning when I was checking my tyre pressures, and forgot to switch it on again until yesterday. With you seeing your temp rise quicker when it's off that would explain it. Cheers.

lukeoslavia

Aug 8, 2016
Whats the winter morning temperature there when it gets so quicly warm. By us, in winter morning, after driving 10 miles it still gets about 80degrees, but morning temp os about -15 til -10 degrees celzius, and car is diesel

Not quite as cold as you! we normally only get down to -5/-6 but that's on a bad morning

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise