Auto lights vs DRLs

t121anf

May 14, 2004
I normally have my lights set to auto, just cos I'm lazy.

I changed my DRLs for leds, and noticed that they are only on when I turn the headlights to off.

In the summer when it's light enough that the auto headlights are off will the DRLs come on or must I turn my headlights to manual?

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
From what I remember mine were on all the time, regardless of auto lights or lights set to off.

Mine threw canbus when i led' them so I just used the stalk sequence to disable them so mine are never on

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Lamp is definitely not illuminated unless lights are off, but it's grey, overcast and raining so I expect the headlights to be on in these conditions.

I need a bright day to check, not much chance of that I the North East.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
You'd know if they were on and they should be on alongside the headlights regardless of setting.

Dig out the handbook you may have inadvertently done the stalk sequence and deactivated them

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
I have xenon and DRL. Switch always in auto.

If it's dark outside then I get xenon and sidelight on.

If it's not I get DRL.

Last edited:

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Well the sun finally came out today and for once I was driving whilst it was daylight.

As confirmed by others with the headlights set to auto, on a bright day the headlights are off and DRLs are on.

Be better once the sidelights come to fully get rid of the yellow light on the front.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members