Correct MPG??

webb204

May 19, 2015
I'm probably only getting 45mpg on my daily 60 mile round trip to work ,the majority being on the A1 ,thats in a 150 TDI

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
So by the sound of it. There is nothing to worry about. Maybe I just high expectations of the mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaffer1986

I would say there is something a miss. When I drove the 184 I managed mid 40s and I was booting it at most opportunities. Sure with an average speed of mid 60s a 2.0 diesel should be at least 50-55mpg. That's what my friend gets from his 520d with a similar average speed.

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
I would say there is something a miss. When I drove the 184 I managed mid 40s and I was booting it at most opportunities. Sure with an average speed of mid 60s a 2.0 diesel should be at least 50-55mpg. That's what my friend gets from his 520d with a similar average speed.

That is my thought. Just where do I start.

Last edited:

gaffer1986

I would find someone with the same car and do an mpg test. Maybe go to a quiet road. Set the cruise control and film the constant mpg, do the exact speed at the same time in the other car and watch the videos side by side. Not strictly scientific but will give you an idea if it's way off. Just a guess. Tyres literally make 1-2% difference so I doubt it I will be them. Brakes? Is one dragging? If you're capable take the wheels off (particularly the rear) and look for uneven where in the pads and that the handbrake lever on the caliper isn't restricted. Also check your air filter for blockage, this can make a huge difference.

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
I would find someone with the same car and do an mpg test. Maybe go to a quiet road. Set the cruise control and film the constant mpg, do the exact speed at the same time in the other car and watch the videos side by side. Not strictly scientific but will give you an idea if it's way off. Just a guess. Tyres literally make 1-2% difference so I doubt it I will be them. Brakes? Is one dragging? If you're capable take the wheels off (particularly the rear) and look for uneven where in the pads and that the handbrake lever on the caliper isn't restricted. Also check your air filter for blockage, this can make a huge difference.

Brand new pads and discs all round fitted last week. Same time as 4 new tyres. I still need to check the pressure in them. Will look at air filter at the same time.

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
Only had the car a week. When I went to view it. It was in the ramps having the mentioned work carried out and also its first MOT.

The journey then happened last weekend.

Work carried out at a main dealer

Last edited:

gaffer1986

As Deano says, depends on traffic conditions, and many other factors; e.g. ambient temperature, increased use of electrical components at this time of year, winter additives added to diesel fuel by manufacturers in winter to stop it 'waxing' in freezing conditions makes it less efficient. I think that if you've just got the car, you need to give it a bit longer and check your mpg over a few tankfuls of diesel over a few weeks/months of driving before assuming there might be something wrong.

When I had my mk6 Golf GTD, the fuel consumption was always noticeably lower in the colder winter months than it was during the summer; overall, low 40's in winter and high 40's in summer. When the mk7 Golf was launched I remember over on one of the Golf forums that a number of GTD owners (same engine as your car) were disappointed with the fuel consumption they were seeing during the winter months; much lower than the manufacturers published figures.
I'm suprised that winter makes it worse. I get my best mpg in the winter, but I guess that's because my car is on for 10 hours a day on average so the cold start doesn't affect overall mpg much, also mine is petrol. I think it's better in the winter for me because stop start works more often and the AC isn't working very hard, if at all. I tend to leave it on and it seems to cut in and out as and when it needs to.

Did they find their mpg was lower on long journeys also in the winter?

Last edited:

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
My MPG takes a hit in the winter, always has over 3 diesel Seat's. I typically average 540 - 560 miles per tank over the winter in my 184 Leon.

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Motorway MPG

My wife & I are just back from a weekend break which involved driving to Dublin Airport from the far side of Belfast & back again on return. One big case of stuff & two pieces of hand luggage. The 202 mile round trip yielded me 32.8 mpg in my 280 ST. The heater/aircon & heated seats were going, as was the stereo. I wasn't being gentle. I thought after mainly city driving she could do with a stretch of the legs to blow away any cobwebs. Set off at 3am on the way down and the roads weren't busy on the way back up. Average speed of 71 point something mph on the car's computer. It's not all motorway in the north of Ireland either. That was on 97 RON from Sainsbury's. Seems odd that the FR184 doesn't come close to doubling that at that average speed. I nearly bought one. Glad the silly side took over and I didn't. My previous car was an Ibiza FR diesel. It gave seriously impressive mpg on the open road. On a long overnight trip down English & Welsh motorways it nudged just under 70 mpg.

hpoolsteve

Mar 7, 2012
HARTLEPOOL
I can get 430 teaching learners at a push in a petrol, with many different drivers of all different levels. But mostly I get around 380. Most I've had is 500 but that was done in one day with one cold start. Air con is always on.

Like I said before mate. I wasn't booting it. Never went above 80mph.

Just can't get my head around it.

gaffer1986

If there is a vacuum leak after the mass airflow sensor the lambda with detect lean running and ask for more fuel. You can get a vacuum leak test done with a smoke machine to detect if there is a leak. It is possible the ecu hasn't picked something like this up. Can't think of much else. Air filter is a big one also due to greater suction losses.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
I'd do two things, first I'd look at the service book of the car as from memory at 40k miles this is when a major service is due on SEAT cars, could be a manky air fuel or pollen filter. Second if no lights on dash I'd still have a diagnostic scan done, there are people out there with the lug in diagnostic tools that could shed some light on matters. At this time of year 440 a tank on winter diesel isn't really that bad to be fair although 43mpg on a 350 mile trip does concern me a little - if it's motorway driving you had done I'd be looking for 50 plus average unless sat in roadworks for ages

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Some poor MPG figures can be down to the mileage on the engine. My 184 did about 45mpg average even when driving gently until it got to about 15k miles. From then it's done better and I now get 57mpg on a 13 mile run into work and about 47mpg on the way home via country roads where I drive it harder.

I also changed the air filter myself at 10k miles, no way can it last until 40k miles and for the £10 cost for a genuine part it is worth changing it sooner.

I can also recommend fuel additives such as Millers or Archoil, runs smoother and more off boost torque which helps with MPG. It will also keep injector nozzles clean.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise