Panel filter recommendations?

Dicko90

Feb 14, 2017
Picked up our new Exeo ST TDi 143 in candy white at the weekend and would like to change the panel filter to an aftermarket one mainly as going off the service history it's never been changed and it's something I've done on all my previous cars. What filters are people running?

Nick

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Only running standard filter in mine at the moment, but previously normally used K&N. Having read info from other sites for my previous cars a new OEM filter was as good as any performance filter, and it was the TIP that was the main restriction. Not sure if that is the same on the Exeo.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I don’t have an Exeo but as said above if no other modifications are made a normal paper filter will make the same power as a ‘performance’ filter.

Turbo diesels suck in a large amount of air and compresses it first in the turbo then inside the cylinder. A small amount of fuel is sprayed in and you have a power stroke. Most road diesels run lean on fuel and there’s unused oxygen in the power stroke. So the amount of fuel injected will be limiting performance not the amount of air sucked in. This is why they respond so well to remapping, more fuel is injected to burn the unused oxygen. If too much fuel is used you’ll get un-burnt diesel out of the exhaust as black smoke. Then the turbo boost is increased to put more air into the engine, you’ll need to be running very high boost levels to find the normal paper filter a restriction.

It’s a personal choice but you’re highly unlikely to get the performance increase that the filter manufacture is claiming.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Only difference i noticed on my mk1 Leon facelift was an increase in induction noise and very slight improvement in throttle response.

Last edited:

Dicko90

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks for the replies and advice, I might just stick a paper one in for now then.

Nick

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
I agree with what the others have posted.
I did some Internet research when I got my Exeo including checking the various Audi forums, and nobody seems too regard the air filter as needing an upgrade.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Both to be honest in the long run I wouldn't mind getting a map and an exhaust for a bit more power.

In that case put a paper one in and change it regularly, put the rest towards a remap. The torque improvement you get is immense. Would highly recommend it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.