Need help deciding between a Seat Leon 2015 and a Honda Civic 2012

malandm

Feb 17, 2017
Both automatic transmission and both done ~20000 miles. Not sure which to get. I'm looking for a reliable car that's also fun to drive, and I definitely prefer the looks and styling of the Leon but I'm not sure how it compares in terms of reliability. I don't want a car that'll break down often, if at all.

Any advice?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Both automatic transmission and both done ~20000 miles. Not sure which to get. I'm looking for a reliable car that's also fun to drive, and I definitely prefer the looks and styling of the Leon but I'm not sure how it compares in terms of reliability. I don't want a car that'll break down often, if at all.

Any advice?

really? A 5 year old car vs a 2 year old one ? Which will still have a years warranty? :rofl:

malandm

Feb 17, 2017
really? A 5 year old car vs a 2 year old one ? Which will still have a years warranty? :rofl:

I know, but I don't know what the Seat will be like after it expires. A lot of people I know seem to think Seats are unreliable for some reason, but I personally definitely prefer the Leon over the Civic, and if it's still a reliable car then I think I'd definitely go for the Leon instead. What do you think?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Had SEATS since 1996, kept for between 3 - 6 years, never had any problems and in all that time and only had to change tyres and wipers. The only things replaced were a bit of rear trim (1996 Biza GTI) and a rear lens (2014 Cupra 280) both on warranty, buy the LEON it looks better. has better trim and is just as reliable as anything.

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
Yon don't mention the variants so it's harder to recommend. However, you are on a Seat appreciation society website, so what answer do you think you will get?

I kid you not when I tell you that a Honda salesrep in a showroom said to my wife, "Nice car the Civic. Popular with the ladies"

As far as reliability, I agree with SeaStormer. Had two, done over 100k in them and never had a problem

italianjob

Oct 21, 2014
Middlesbrough
I thought the 2012 Civic only came as a 1.4 or 1.8 petrol, and they are both very slow and uneconomical.

The Honda will be better built as I've had a couple prior to my Leon's. The 2.2 diesel is a cracking motor but they didn't to an auto.

As stated above, need to now which models you are looking at.

malandm

Feb 17, 2017
Yon don't mention the variants so it's harder to recommend. However, you are on a Seat appreciation society website, so what answer do you think you will get?

I kid you not when I tell you that a Honda salesrep in a showroom said to my wife, "Nice car the Civic. Popular with the ladies"

As far as reliability, I agree with SeaStormer. Had two, done over 100k in them and never had a problem

You're right it, I probably should've mentioned it's a 1.2L TSi SE DSG. I came to these forums because I thought you guys here would have the best idea on their reliability. Thanks for your help! From the sounds of it, they're a good car. :)

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
We've had Leon's since 2005 and are now on our 6th. Good cars. No major issues with any of them, only a couple of minor ones. Which you'd get with any car. Don't be fooled by low mileage , a car that has only done 20k in 5 years will probably have been used for short journeys which is not the best. The auto box in the Honda will be an old torque converter type I suspect , and will sap both power and fuel, whereas a modern DSG does neither. For me it's a no brainer. The Seat.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Would you consider a VW Golf/Audi A3 unreliable? The Leon is basically a Golf/A3 in an arguably prettier body. Its all VW mechanicals

What he said! You're basically looking at VW, not the Seats of old before VW took over. It's the same with Skoda.

If you were comparing a 2 year old Civic vs a 2 year old Leon the decision might be harder, but a 2 year old Leon vs a 5 year old civic is a no brainer.

Plus you're on a seat appreciation site so everyone's probably going to say Seat anyway.

My Leon is 2 years old now and on 27k and is going great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
Surely the Honda is cheaper?

If it was the 2.2 diesels Honda vs 1.2tsi it would be a bit more of even scale.. But it's not... Get the Leon. Oh I'd go for a technology pack model by the way

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
Can you link to the ads for both cars? To be comparing two cars at such different ages, there's either a huge price difference or a huge spec/condition difference.

malandm

Feb 17, 2017
Can you link to the ads for both cars? To be comparing two cars at such different ages, there's either a huge price difference or a huge spec/condition difference.

I can't link the ads because I have less than 15 posts at the moment, but the specs are as follows:

Seat Leon: 2015, Auto, 1.2L TSi SE DSG Technology Pack. 22k miles. Last service 500 miles ago.

Honda Civic: 2012, Auto, 1.8L ES, Petrol, 28k miles, last service @ 25k.

The Seat is only £300 more expensive (Honda £9000, Seat £9300). I feel like the reason their price is so similar is because the Honda is a lot more popular than the Seat.

Thoughts?

malandm

Feb 17, 2017
We've had Leon's since 2005 and are now on our 6th. Good cars. No major issues with any of them, only a couple of minor ones. Which you'd get with any car. Don't be fooled by low mileage , a car that has only done 20k in 5 years will probably have been used for short journeys which is not the best. The auto box in the Honda will be an old torque converter type I suspect , and will sap both power and fuel, whereas a modern DSG does neither. For me it's a no brainer. The Seat.

Great! Thanks for the help. :) sounds like a Seats are actually quite reliable.

malandm

Feb 17, 2017
What he said! You're basically looking at VW, not the Seats of old before VW took over. It's the same with Skoda.

If you were comparing a 2 year old Civic vs a 2 year old Leon the decision might be harder, but a 2 year old Leon vs a 5 year old civic is a no brainer.

Plus you're on a seat appreciation site so everyone's probably going to say Seat anyway.

My Leon is 2 years old now and on 27k and is going great.

Oh wow, I didn't even realise Seats are basically VW. That puts my mind at a lot more ease to be honest.

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
The Group comprises twelve brands from seven European countries: Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ducati, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Scania and MAN.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
I can't link the ads because I have less than 15 posts at the moment, but the specs are as follows:

Seat Leon: 2015, Auto, 1.2L TSi SE DSG Technology Pack. 22k miles. Last service 500 miles ago.

Honda Civic: 2012, Auto, 1.8L ES, Petrol, 28k miles, last service @ 25k.

The Seat is only £300 more expensive (Honda £9000, Seat £9300). I feel like the reason their price is so similar is because the Honda is a lot more popular than the Seat.

Thoughts?

Think I've found them both on Autotrader. Both Car Giant, both white (bleh!) and the Civic ad has (for some reason) photos of a Merc interior?

The Civic has the more powerful engine (140bhp vs 108bhpp) and climate control but to be honest compared to other cars on Autotrader it seems a bit overpriced too. When I've looked at Civics in the past there does seem to be something of a Honda tax attached.

I'd have the Leon, but then I own one. That, and I could never, ever entertain the idea of buying a modern car with halogen headlights.

malandm

Feb 17, 2017
Think I've found them both on Autotrader. Both Car Giant, both white (bleh!) and the Civic ad has (for some reason) photos of a Merc interior?

The Civic has the more powerful engine (140bhp vs 108bhpp) and climate control but to be honest compared to other cars on Autotrader it seems a bit overpriced too. When I've looked at Civics in the past there does seem to be something of a Honda tax attached.

I'd have the Leon, but then I own one. That, and I could never, ever entertain the idea of buying a modern car with halogen headlights.

Yeah, you've found them! To be honest, I thought the Seat looked pretty good in white. Especially if it has LED headlights (but I can't tell from the photos). Hoping the Seat won't be sold by next weekend so I can go take a look at it. :) I'd much rather have the Seat too but I'm going to have to convince my parents that it's a good car because they've never heard of it and trust Honda much more (and it'll be my second ever car).

Thank you for your help. :)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.