Knocking suspension

callybantan

Feb 20, 2015
Hello everyone...Has any had problems with their suspension on the Exeo. Mine is the 170 Tech saloon 2010. I have had a knocking for a few months now and my Indy is unable to pinpoint the problem. So far they have changed one lower nsf control arm, both front shocks and an engine mount. It knocks really bad at slow speeds on uneven road but smooth and no noise at speed. It even passed MOT 3 weeks ago and they did not find a problem. Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
I've also got an annoying rattle at low speeds from the nearside front which I can't find. Been through two MOTs, a suspension re-alignment and a gearbox in/out still havent figured out whats causing it.

S70DGE

Feb 15, 2011
Halifax west Yorkshire
I had a n annoying rattle on the nsf of my st for months i was convinced it were the undertrays took them off new clips all round but the rattle was still there it turned out to be the pads chattering in the caliper so stripped it down re greased and re fit the rattle spring correctly and it cured it

callybantan

Feb 20, 2015
Well, I am stumped and I don't really want to spend more cash trying to get the root is the problem. I've had the control arms checked by two separate garages and the MOT test and still its persist. Really like the car but this is becoming a bit or a niggle. Maybe its time to take it to the stealers.

callybantan

Feb 20, 2015
Took it to the dealers today for the emissions 'fix' and I thought I would pay for a diagnosis of the knocking at the same time. They have diagnosed that all the front suspension arms are worn and will need changing in addition to a full 4 wheel alignment at a cost of £1.6K. I'm shocked at the price and surely all of them can't go at the same time.. can they?

quiggs2001

Sep 28, 2016
Derry Northern Ireland
I've also got an annoying rattle at low speeds from the nearside front which I can't find. Been through two MOTs, a suspension re-alignment and a gearbox in/out still havent figured out whats causing it.

Same issue here, although only seems to be when going down hill at low speeds. Hmm.

callybantan

Feb 20, 2015
Finally decided to bite the bullet and I'm taking it in to have the top mounts changed. Will see if that cures the rattle that is now affecting the steering while driving.

Seat Exeo Paddy

Jan 15, 2017
Finally decided to bite the bullet and I'm taking it in to have the top mounts changed. Will see if that cures the rattle that is now affecting the steering while driving.
Hi Callybantan,
just wondering did you ever get that noise problem sorted out, or did the top mount replacement do the trick? I'm having a similar problem with my exeo at the minute.
Thank you

callybantan

Feb 20, 2015
Yes I did it eventually solve it. It turned out to be the steering rack, it was a real hard diagnosis as there was no play anywhere. My indie said there was nothing left to replace so we took the plunge. That was 3 yrs ago and no more rattles or noise since.

Reactions: RichL

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Yes I did it eventually solve it. It turned out to be the steering rack, it was a real hard diagnosis as there was no play anywhere. My indie said there was nothing left to replace so we took the plunge. That was 3 yrs ago and no more rattles or noise since.
My Exeo is gone now, but about the last MOT advisory before I PX'd her was for "Play in steering rack bush" or something like that.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members