Grinding Sound From Brake Discs

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
My car has started to make a grinding sound from the nearside front brakes, when the brakes are applied. Normally I'd say it was a bit of rust on disk wearing off after standing for a while, but it is very noticeable every time the car leaves the drive. Naturally I'm worried that the pad is down to the metal.

It's booked in to the dealer to have it looked at on Thursday, but was wondering if anyone has had issues with premature pad wear and not getting the warning light for low pads?

Last edited:

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Most likely a stone trapped between the disc and guard if you think the pads are OK.

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
28500 ish miles, original pads. It's a DSG so brakes are used a bit more than a manual but not excessively. Normally I get 40+K miles from a set of front pads.

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
Some pads/calipers have a little bit of metal that sticks out (on purpose) to lightly brush the edge of the disc when the pads are getting low. Dunno if the Leon has that or not. I'm at 30890 miles on my manual Leon and no noises yet, but like you say, auto=higher brake wear so I can foresee a pad change at around 30k ish.

My Honda Civic had one of those little squeaky pokey out things, and one day it started chirping... so I took the wheels off and bent it out of the way to shut it up ;)

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
At the dealers yesterday for this. No problem found, front pads 40% worn, rears 30% worn. No scoring on the disks. The mechanic didn't think the sound was unusual. So happy no its been checked.

They also fixed a knocking sound from the same area when going over bumps. I thought it was suspension damage, but was in fact a loose wheel arch liner that had been damaged and was knocking into the suspension. Happy about that too.

Must stop over thinking stuff!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise