Boost leak diagnosed.... advice needed

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
Hi guys, so with the help of Shepherd garage in Chelmsford my boost leak is diagnosed. Once the system hit 10 psi it started to leak from the ring in the pipe off the turbo. See arrow in picture below

458186e7e91887d9abf9a3eea6f8fb3e.jpg

Now my local reputable garage will take this off / the whole turbo and then a local fabricator will alloy weld that seam all the way round to stop the leak and prevent any future leaks. This part isn't available by itself from seat and I don't want to replace the whole turbo as mine seems OK and the expense of getting a new one.
My question is can anyone see an issue with my plan? The garage thinks it's a good idea but wanted to ask on here as well.

On another note what a stupid VAG design that pipe is in the first place, a boost pipe that has a seal that will degrade over time ergh

Any help and advice appreciated. Cheers guys

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rich-I-Am

Dec 8, 2015
Bedford
I cant see it being a problem as long as.

1. Its a decent ally welder with the correct wire grade.
2. The person doing it is experienced in ally welding.

Its the route id take.

Rich

P.S Make sure that all holes are blocked when its being welded. Stray swarf/grinding dust etc could do damage.

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
Thanks for the reply mate. He's a very well respected fabricator locally and makes intercooler etc for people so I have faith in him.

Just seems like a random place to have a boost leak.

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Can't see any problems with that, if the turbo can be split it'll reduce any potential issues with the heat penetration..

If it's a seal, can that not just be replaced?
Even if it's not a stock item, another adequate seal.coupd.probably be fabricated/sourced?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
Not too sure to be fair. At least it's a fairy permanent fix lol

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
So repair all went well. Welded up nicely (will get some pics) had the oil seals etc changed on the turbo while it was all apart.

Back for another smoke test soon though as it transpires that there is another but smaller boost leak elsewhere. Typical lol

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
6296595772456364ff656fed83823009.jpg

Not an amazing pic but gives you an idea. He did a good.job of welding it up. One boost leak fixed and another still to diagnose lol

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
Pretty sure I have one at the moment too... still bosting okay, just have a noise.

Shepherd garage in Chelmsford mate. Easiest way to get it diagnosed and nice and cheap too. Just hope yours is something nice and cheap like a hose lol

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
What did they charge, if you don't mind saying?

Confirmed I defiantly have a leaky turbo, so needs new sills.

Last edited:

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
What did they charge, if you don't mind saying?

Confirmed I defiantly have a leaky turbo, so needs new sills.

I paid 240 cash, that's for removal of turbo, they took it to the fabricator to weld and then re fitted everything including new seals as they are nylon and not much good when it comes to re fitting.

Cupra_liam

Aug 5, 2016
There was a slight mates discount on there I think but for the hours that went into it i was very happy

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
What kind of noise? Not a really loud turbo scream noise is it? :laser:
It's more of a loud whining when coming in boost, I looked under the car to find a wet turbo... so think the seals have gone. Got a large puff of smoke out the back yesterday too.

37d64fabfb8fd67248699b68d33acadb.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.