How to find factory specs

Jonnyboy

Feb 19, 2017
South Wales
Hi all. Recently purchased my Seat Ibiza Cupra black edition. So far it has been a dream car. I do have one concern. On a recent journey down to the main headquarters for volvo construction (chose to take my car instead of van :D) I put my foot on the brake to find something wrong. Looking down I could see that the wrapping around the main wiring loom was hanging down. I pulled over and pushed it up safely out of the way. When I got there and checked, it looked like the wiring loom at been unwrapped some way up. I also notice the the small panel on the drivers side of the dash (the one you can only get at when the door is open) Had a gap and on looking as best as I could without removing, it looked like it had been taken off and when pushed back in place either broke or bent at least one of the clips. This left me wondering what the heck they could have been up to. The car was brand new but pre registered. My only conclusion is that the car may have originally came from the factory with ambient lighting which I don't have. I wondered if there was any way to contact someone who can tell me what extras the car originally left the factory with. Not sure if someone can help but would be handly to know when I take the car down to the dealer I purchased it from on Wednesday. Cheers

Chiggers

Oct 29, 2016
That is around where the diagnostic adapter is plugged in; it may be that they did that but didn't do a very good job of replacing things afterwards

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that you are right to be concerned, get it back to them and ask what is/has going/gone on! Any post delivery alterations/mods should be getting carried out to a proper standard!

Factory spec, ie what options are fitted to that actual car:- go to the parts department and request a "CAR DATA" print out for your car, they should be able to get that for you as it lives within Ekta. So far I have failed to get this for my wife's August 2015 Polo from her dealer's parts dept, they just blank me with "I know nuthhhing" expressions! In the past, I have managed to get one for my 2001MY B5 Passat, my wife's 2003MY Polo, my daughter's 2010MY Ibiza and my 2011MY S4 - so it is possible to get this print out and it is basically what GSF etc will use when supplying you with service parts. Either way, it can be a very handy bit of paper, many sheets, to have later on!

Jonnyboy

Feb 19, 2017
South Wales
Thanks for your input both. I know there must be a way of knowing what extras the car came out of the factory with as after my brother was in a crash (not his fault), the insurance company deducted some of the payment made on his car claiming that although he had genuine rover alloys on the car, they hadn't been fitted when ordered and thus must have been added at a later date. Jonny

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
"What is fitted to a car at the factory?" I think for most of us, we will have a car that is not a standard well defined version - and that could well make dealing with insurance companies tricky - in the event of a claim!

I spec'd up a Passat with a few options and innocently did not declare them all to insurance company, I spec'd up a Polo with a few options and did the same there, but was lucky enough to avoid needing to claim - though in both cases I did declare both optional fitted alloys and using other VW alloys in winter. My S4 has a few extras, but I think that you will find that most if not all Audis and BMW and maybe M-Bs will come with some undeclared extras - so it must be a minefield for owners and insurers - I have declared the "Sports Exhaust" that the Audi dealer declared it had (Milltek) and that hurt quite a bit. My wife's current Polo SEL has a few useful factory fitted extras but once again I have avoided declaring them although they do add up to a chuck of money when new.

I'd think that for the money that insurers charge, they could run our VINs through a program and see what the extras were and what money was involved, but they are lazy and operate at a low level, so that does not happen - which can lead to problems when an innocent owner insurers a car that just happened to have some factory fitted extras fitted.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
all VW group cars should have a sticker in the boot which details the original factory spec of the vehicle. A copy of it might also be stuck in the service book.

It lists a series of 3 digit codes. There are websites available to translate the 3 digit codes.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
all VW group cars should have a sticker in the boot which details the original factory spec of the vehicle. A copy of it might also be stuck in the service book.

It lists a series of 3 digit codes. There are websites available to translate the 3 digit codes.[/QUOTE

That is okay as a starter, but the "CAR DATA" sheets make a more complete picture of what was fitted at initial assembly.

Jonnyboy

Feb 19, 2017
South Wales
If you message me your chassis number I can tell you if you have that option.:)
I know the car came with the option but I bought it new but pre registered so wasn't offered the option as it came as it was.
Took it back today. They couldn't explain either the dash side panel being taken off and damaged or the tape off the wiring loom. They sorted the tape and are replacing the side panel. The other problem needing dealt with is constantly misted headlights. They showed me a form which showed the manufacturers are aware of the problem but it's not something that entitles the new owner to replacements. Apparently replacements will only be considered if the inside lights are full of drops of water on the inside glass. Mine are like that every morning so I have to send some pics tomorrow to prove it. Jonny

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members