Anyone had their emissions "fixed"?

sammerano

Jun 9, 2014
Had mine done last week there, and just like the others I haven't noticed any difference in performance good or bad, car still runs really well and seems exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Serviced yesterday at the dealer and didn't have it done. Apparently I am only 1 of 2 customers who have opted out and they've had no reported problems.

I may end up getting it done in the future if I don't end up getting it remapped which is sort of the cards as soon as I find a spare 400 quid.

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
I may end up getting it done in the future if I don't end up getting it remapped which is sort of the cards as soon as I find a spare 400 quid.

I can only go off the experience I've had and don't want to jump to any conclusions about the dealers' "fix" but two months after the fix and my throttle is so choked up with carbon it's giving error messages. Coincidene? Who knows? :shrug: Can't prove a thing!

Initially I thought everything was fine and didn't see any changes in either performance or economy but since then both have been getting steadily worse.

As a direct result my car is now getting remapped on Monday (5th Dec) including a software EGR delete. Not cheap at £420 but hopefully this will be the end of it (and the dealers software fix).

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Those coincidences don't surprise me Karmann. THe main reason I didn't get it done was because you don't get anything for free in life and the "fix" must be putting pressure on emission related components to reduce emissions and maintain performance. Can;t prove it though and this could be a nice little money maker for VAG as they get a load of cars in for EGR/DPF work.

Glad you are getting your car sorted, shame about the extra cost but you will end up with a better map at the end of it.

jasons76

May 9, 2016
I has mine done on Tuesday along with a full service,so far car feels ok I might say it feels a bit smoother and I have lost the first gear judder.i would like to think that to go to the lengths of cheating the system that VW would make sure the fix was ok as they would leave themselves open for claims if proof of fix caused problems,but I suppose proof will be in the pudding fingers crossed I don't get any problems.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I think I am just cynical. I don't think VAG really care if their mapping change causes problems: none of the cars affected are under warranty and any problem is the responsibility of the owner.

They're not even releasing details on what they've changed (maybe to ensure nothing sticks to them if there were multiple emission component related failures... which no one would be able to prove was the fault of the map change anyway as all vehicles are driven in different environments).

I suppose I could look at it from the less cynical angle and believe through learnings from developing their Euro 6 engines they've found more efficient ways of mapping engine components to work together. I'm not actually sure on the mechanical differences between say the euro 5 2.0 170 tdi vs the euro 6 2.0 184 tdi.

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
Having had two letters from SEAT I decided to contact my nearest dealer (White Dove Cardiff) to make some enquiries..

..The letter stated the dealership would offer a number of options including a drop off and wait, a courtesy car or a pick up & return. The dealership stated the only thing on offer would be the drop off and wait as I lived more than ten miles from them. I asked about options on a Saturday due to my work hours to be informed that it could take up to four hours waiting and they don't provide courtesy cars on weekends. I politely declined their "help".

About two weeks before Christmas I had another letter this time offering a visit service on offer stating that the modification would be carried out at a location of my choosing. Apparently it was there due to the number of people stating the same issues as mine. I've made contact and left my contact details but have not yet received a follow-up email.

If I hear anything to follow it up I'll post on here.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I’ve received letters, texts, emails and telephone calls from my local deal (East Barnet SEAT). They seem to be pushing the fix, stating they’ve had no adverse issues on cars that have had the map and I am only 1 of 2 customers that hasn’t had it done.

I enquired on what settings the re-map is changing and what the long term effects it will have the car (as this is my main concern) and was directed to some central SEAT helpline. I spoke to them and they aren’t able/would not release details on what the map actually does. Seems too much like smoke and mirrors to me at this stage.

I’ve read a post on facebook via CC Tuning’s page (https://www.facebook.com/CCTuningLtd/) who have offered some analysis on the changes:

“What you need to know about the 2.0crdi emission update.

I have been looking into the changes between the old maps and the new maps and found that on mid throttle with the new emission software update VAG have increased the rail pressure mid range around 2000rpm by as much as 4500m/bar. What they are trying to do is create a better burn in the combustion chamber. However this can cause pinking low down and we have heard reports of engine faults after the software installed.

Also those of you who have had the dpf removed can notice unburnt fuel from the exhaust due to inefficient burn.

Personally I think that this should be revised and I would think twice before going back for the update.

Overall there should be no power loss at peak compared with the previous version of software.

I can also see the section for the cheat code has been erased as well as other axis adjusted."

JimGallaher

Sep 26, 2012
N.Ireland
I had my 2011 Seat Exeo 2.0 Sport tech manual updated last November. Immediately I noticed a lack of the usual torque in low revs, Three months on I've now noticed the fuel economy is about 10% down on what it was and there are a lot more regens being done. I'm not happy at all. I contacted my Seat service and of course they say it's nothing to do with the update. They want be to bring it for tests, with a full tank of diesel and for me to give them permission to let someone go out in it and to see what the economy is like. Who pays for this ?
I'm sorry I got the fix done, ruined my car !!

Last edited:

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Just one point to note Jim re: fuel usage - now we're in winter fuel usage will be slightly up vs. what you were getting in the summer months - the engine takes longer to warm up and you're using more electrics.

JimGallaher

Sep 26, 2012
N.Ireland
I realise that fuel consumption goes up in winter but I've had the car 4 years and I'm familiar with the average mpg over a year.
Yeah if it ain't broke ....... but like others I thought the fix would be required for future MOT emission passes, that's why I got the s/w upgrade. That and the fact I thought I was dealing with a responsible trustworthy company. You live and learn.

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
I realise that fuel consumption goes up in winter but I've had the car 4 years and I'm familiar with the average mpg over a year.
Yeah if it ain't broke ....... but like others I thought the fix would be required for future MOT emission passes, that's why I got the s/w upgrade. That and the fact I thought I was dealing with a responsible trustworthy company. You live and learn.

The only mandatory recalls are for safety issues, so you cannot be forced to have the recall done.

My leon I have just purchased has been fixed and there are some changes, it sounds a little more tractor-ish.. also it regens more (I can't go into too much detail but think of it as little and often vs not so often and big for regens.. then there is the change in the amount of egr...time will tell if this causes issues further down the line..

Willgotthepower

Oct 22, 2016
Mine was done before I'd bought it whilst at the main dealer. Obviously not having driven it beforehand I can't compare the before and after but it seems to be a strong and reliable engine so far...

spj81

Feb 13, 2016
Mine's a 2012 DRL headlights ST170 and still refuse to get the software update after several letters with the DVSA logo. The very reason I bought my exeo was for the power and mpg figures and was the best option for my budget. It's a great car to drive. Reading the posts I'm glad I haven't had it done. At the end of the day, its your money that's bought the exeo in its original state. If I wanted anything different I'd buy something different. I love the exeo as it is. This software update sounds like a quick fix and will ultimately cost owners in the long run. That's my sceptical thoughts.

Paul20v

Jul 16, 2016
Mine's a 2012 DRL headlights ST170 and still refuse to get the software update after several letters with the DVSA logo. The very reason I bought my exeo was for the power and mpg figures and was the best option for my budget. It's a great car to drive. Reading the posts I'm glad I haven't had it done. At the end of the day, its your money that's bought the exeo in its original state. If I wanted anything different I'd buy something different. I love the exeo as it is. This software update sounds like a quick fix and will ultimately cost owners in the long run. That's my sceptical thoughts.

I'm with you on this
The software botch is just that
Because if they could have got the nox levels down in the first place with the engine being how it was designed too run they would have
Instead there now implementing a quick fix.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I doubt you'll get it back to standard spec but you could remap with a reputable tuner. I doubt (but do now know) that will configure the emission related components to run more frequently.

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
Just had my third conversation with "VWG Mobile Solutions" - who are offering the update at a location of your choice.

I explained my repeated decision not to want the update performed - citing local garage feedback, forum feedback, and the non favourable response to related faults from dealers and the quick reply was..

".. okay well if you change you mind and want it done let us know.."

:confused:

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I too get hassled about this from my local dealer. Missed calls, voicemails etc. It's getting boring now.

Dicko90

Feb 14, 2017
I've just bought a 2.0tdi 143 exeo st which apparently has had its emissions fixed. I averaged 50-55mpg at the weekend on a 50 mile round trip at 60mph. Boring I know but I was intrigued to see what it could get :)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members