Specific Shock and spring question.

CupraBish

Feb 23, 2017
Hi all

First post but long time lurker.

I own a 53 mk1 Leon Cupra ( 180 ) and wish to replace my shocks and springs as they have covered 151k.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but I was wondering if I could simply fit the springs, shocks and drop links from a Cupra R as an OEM alternative to aftermarket kits.

I don't really want a drop lower than 20mm to keep the car clearance semi decent and I dont want to need declare my mod to insurance.

Any suggestions welcome as a means of achieving my 20mm drop with ride comfort not being compromised would be appreciated.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
You can fit the LCR suspension parts but you won't be able to utilise the drop links and their strut mounts as the ARB differs.
So either continue with the stock ARB and drop links or grab the LCR / R32 ARB as well whilst you're at it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CupraBish

Feb 23, 2017
Many thanks. What would the benefits of fitting the ARB and the drop links as opposed to just the shocks/springs ?

Also what is your opinion on the effectiveness of this mod with regards to handling improvement over an after market kit such as H&R

Thanks in advance

j

jamfull

Feb 6, 2011
Lowering by 50 or more usually ends in rubbing . I put bilstien b4 sports and eibach Pro kit 30 mm it on my 180. Lowers the car a little bit. Never had any clearance problems. I am about to change for full cupra r set up. Hubs, wishbones . If I was to do it again I would go for bilsiens b6 and cupra front suspension set up. Depends if you plan to up the power on your car. B4s and 30mm is fine for a daily drive.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Agreed, Eibach Pro springs and Bilstein B4 shocks are going on mine as they're a tried and tested combo and I've had this set up on a couple of previous Golfs I've owned.

CupraBish

Feb 23, 2017
30mm sounds good for a daily. I'm not upping the power at the moment. But having cam belt, service and new tyres tomorrow :D I dare not remap a 150k engine.

Anyway thanks for the advice, would the b4 and 30mm option require drop links to be changed ?

J

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
No, it's a straight swap over of shocks and springs.
Drop links cost very little so might be worth replacing them whilst you're at it anyway.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Remember the lowering amount quoted by spring manufacturers are measured from the height of a base level vehicle, not the ones equipped with sports springs etc.
If I recall correctly the Cupra and FR came with 15mm lower than standard springs.
This in turn would mean you'll get approximately 15mm extra lowering with the Eibach Pro springs which is a very safe option for a daily road going car.

CupraBish

Feb 23, 2017
Mate youre a star. appreciate all the input and advice from everyone. wish id signed up to the forum sooner!

Going for the 30mm springs with bilstein b4s.

Sorted!:D

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
:D I dare not remap a 150k engine. J

Why not?

I've seen plenty of 200k plus engines being remapped, as long as it is well cared for with good services, then there won't be any issues.

Just be sensible about it and take it to a mapper who is going to take that into account and not push it too hard or just wack a generic map on it.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
30mm sounds good for a daily. I'm not upping the power at the moment. But having cam belt, service and new tyres tomorrow :D I dare not remap a 150k engine.

Anyway thanks for the advice, would the b4 and 30mm option require drop links to be changed ?

J

You won't remap a 150k engine?

Mine is on 185k and hasn't blown up yet!
Don't be a woosy! : )

CupraBish

Feb 23, 2017
Dont get me wrong guys. Id love to remap and tune the car. Its got a full service history and runs great. I just cant afford a new clutch just yet ( still stock )

Interesting to know your milleage ect. what has gone wrong at or before 185k ?

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Dont get me wrong guys. Id love to remap and tune the car. Its got a full service history and runs great. I just cant afford a new clutch just yet ( still stock )

Interesting to know your milleage ect. what has gone wrong at or before 185k ?

Just usual sensor stuff mate has gone with mine
Standard clutch is fine until you hit 300 lb of torque.
Obviously my yellow one has updated rods etc in it but the blue one hasn't and is a daily driver.

CupraBish

Feb 23, 2017
No by stock I mean its original. IE its done 152k. worried it would go with the added torque.

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
No by stock I mean its original. IE its done 152k. worried it would go with the added torque.

The point of remapping is to release the power the engine has from original but de-tuned to suit global market conditions.

The engine can cope and any good remapping company will run diagnostics to make sure nothing is wrong beforehand. It will be their reputation at stake.

However, making other mods such as sticking a hybrid turbo on is when you need to be a bit more considerate of the engine.

mbradl3y

Feb 8, 2017
Mate youre a star. appreciate all the input and advice from everyone. wish id signed up to the forum sooner!

Going for the 30mm springs with bilstein b4s.

Sorted!:D

Sounds like a good plan. May car has bilstein shocks also. They are well made and offer comfortable ride that is not too bouncy.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.